Question for the mechanics.... NF...

Burtess

I have a question for the mechanics (professional or home).....

- '98 Pontiac Transport
    - popping sound coming from front end when steering at low speeds (backing up or parking lot speeds)
    - can feel it in the steering wheel
    - does not exhibit this when at speeds above say 25km/h
    - drives straight as an arrow on the highway
    - had tie rod ends done a couple of years ago
    - just under 200,000 Km

Can anyone suggest what might cause this before I bring it in to get serviced?

Thanks,

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

So at low speeds and turning the steering wheel your hearing more of a popping noise or is it more of a click and is the noise consistent? If it's more of a clicking noise turn your steering wheel all the way to one side then look at the axle boot it might be torn, if it is then you need new axle. If it's more of a popping noise when you turn the wheel from one direction to the other in a fluid motion then your top mount on the struts are gone.

Henry may have it right with the upper strut bearings. On a vehicle with a mcstrut suspension the whole assembly is designed to turn. If a bearing is siezed the coil spring will wind up until it overcomes the sticking/siezed bearing. When this happens the coil releases its energy and will create a popping sound and you will feel it in the steering wheel.

It would be a good idea to have the whole suspension and steering system checked.

Upper strut bearings

Take it to a good Gm dealer for a check over .....They know what to look for more so than an Independent would , IMO

Have to disagree on this point. Worked at a dealership in the past. A flat rate shop will often create an environment of technicians who do not want to spend much quality time on some jobs. Good techs will often work for an independent shop.....or start their own one.

I'd say strut bearings,I had the same problem on the exact vehicle a couple years ago.Had to replace bearings. If I can remember correctly I think the bearing is part of the strut so I had to replace the whole strut,not really sure .I think it had something to do with them not just selling the bearing but the whole strut assembly. Maybe someone else could confirm this,it was a few years ago.

Thanks so much for all of the responses! This gives me some idea of what it could be so I don't look like a moron when the shop takes a look and comments.

Yes it is definately a popping noise and not a consistent click. And it does feel like you overcome some kind or resistance and then it "pops".

Thanks guys!

I've had a similar problem in my '05 Malibu Maxx almost since it was new. The parts list is too long and the money spent is too high (thank god it's a company car) to get into on here, suffice it to say it has been a nightmare. Only the steering rack/gear was ever replaced begrudgingly under warranty, most of the other parts all mentioned above have been replaced and paid for at one time or another. To this day the front end still makes various pops and clunking noises. I've just gotten used to it and drive on.

But I doubt the front end of your Montana is anything like my Malibu (except for the obvious GM connection).

Well there you go...... upper strut bearing on the drivers side. Had the wife turn the wheel while I looked and you can see it jerk around.

Do they replace these in pairs (is the passenger side ready to go as well)?

Much thanks,

Actually it can create a risk. It causes undo stress on the coil spring which could make it snap and it can also create a pull to the left or right from the spring windup.

And yes Burtess, you can replace one side only.

how long do you intend to keep your van? at the mileage your at the struts are most likely worn out, and it won't be long untill the other mount starts acting up, the upper strut mounts are the load bearing supports for the suspension, the best advice i can give you is to replace your front struts and mounts it will restore your ride handling and braking to like new levels