Ovechkin or Crosby

Angler16

Ovechkin vs Crosby  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the overall better player?

• Crosby
    • Ovechkin

Well im sure mostly everyone saw that disgrace(caps vs pens). Mike the bass fisher and i were having a debate on who is the better all around player.

Just my two cents.

Ovechkin has killer energy spurts and can take off at any time. He throws huge hits and is a real good leader as well. His shot is amazing and he has a great sense for the game. He also had 7 more points than Crosby in the season.

Crosby, can set up better plays i will admit and knows where to be at the right time as well. He has his fair share of goals too.

I personally think that Ovechkin is better because of his feistyness and his ability to get to the net using unique moves never really seen before. I also think that Crosby can be a bit of a suck sometimes. Now im sure people have heard this, that may agree or dissagree. I just think that he sells his dives and goals a little too much. He trys to glorafy everything, with Ovechkin, it is just natural. He gets the puck,gains speeds,makes his move,comes in and snipes. This is just my opinion like i said i would like to know what everyone else thinks

As a Pittsburgher, I love having Crosby.

That being said, I think Ovechkin has way more natural scoring talent. His wrister is sick. His slapper is nasty. He can score from almost everywhere. He played a little more defense tonite than he usually does. He's a hitter for such a dominant scorer and he can take alot of hits too. My opinion is that he takes breaks throughout the game at times. Big turnover tonite that lead to a goal. I'm not a big fan of his two way play. He is just such a nasty scorer that he can change a game in a heartbeat. He struck fear in every Pens fan I know. I'd love to have him but . . .

In our current system, give me Crosby. I know he takes alot of crap about being a whiner and a baby but he's one tough dude. He takes alot of hits, some of them cheap. He draws penalties and makes you pay. He has the benefit of playing with Malkin quite a bit and he can set up a goal second to none. I think he's more of a complete player and he plays defense (just like tonite) and his motor never stops. He's also a true scorer. We had the local feed here and they showed his last three breakaways against Theodore. First one, low stick side. Goal. Second one, low glove side. Goal. Tonite, 5 hole. Goal. Used his brain to score that goal.

They are both ridiculously gifted. The Caps need to pair Ovi up with someone with younger legs. Fedorov isn't the guy.

Big game tonite. The better leader showed up.

Crosby shows good old great Canadian talent. So far in the playoffs Crosby has shown 12 goals and 9 assists in 13 games. Ovechkin has got 11 goals and 10 assists in 14 games. So yes both players have done well. However Crosby is a better all around player.

In the regular season Crosby shown a great 33 goals and 70 assists in 77 games and demonstrated moderate scoring with great passing to his teammates not to mention a good 13.9 shot percentage.

Ovechkin during the regular season got a impressive 56goals in ONLY 528 shots making his shot average 10.6 percent, with this he got 54 assists. The last few years Ovechkin has been amazing with putting goals in the net and to me this is the only part of the game he excels in, rather than Crosby getting both good numbers of goals and helpful assists. Not going to go on forever here but Crosby has been a great player and one that i myself feel is better than Ovechkin. Both players excel in there own ways, I mean come on, Crosby was out for along time last year and only played 53 games, and still came out and got 24 goals and 48 assists for his team not to mention led his team to the Stanley Cup Final.Remember the 2006-2007 season when Crosby played 77 games and got 120 points adding up to 36 goals and 84 assists...that is what this player can accomplish as he excels and stays healthy, if i remember correctly Ovechkin played every game that year and got a whopping 46 goals and 46 assists...Sidney Crosby is the Captain of his team for a reason, he is a team leader and he always will be.

They made the final's last year and I would not be surprised if they made the finals this year. Sid the kid Crosby is the better player.

MTBF ;)

As a Pittsburgher, I love having Crosby.

That being said, I think Ovechkin has way more natural scoring talent. His wrister is sick. His slapper is nasty. He can score from almost everywhere. He played a little more defense tonite than he usually does.

But now OV's playing golf. I'd like him a lot if he'd quit camping on the offensive blue line. It's no wonder he can play two minute shifts. He cruises for 75 seconds of them. When he learns to be a two way team player he'll be awesome.

JF

I'm out on the east coast where Crosby fans are all around, but I gotta say that Ovetchkin is my favorite player to watch, he does it all!

I love watching him too. But I agree with his coach "He's great with the puck." The important part is what's not said there.

JF

Funny you mention that John. I've been discussing that quote with some friends and I took the same thing out of it that you did. They thought I was crazy.

It was pretty clear to all of us, of course, we'd been saying the same thing for quite a while. We used to call players like that "cherry-pickers" although that's hardly fair to someone of his ability.

JF

In my mind hands down Crosby is the better player. Has more leadership qualities than Ovechkin and plays his heart out every shift. No floating at the oppositions blueline for him. Ovechkin lost a lot of respect for me by singing Penguins suck at the end of game two and then raising his finger for number 1 when he scored in game 5. Classless and came back to haunt him bigtime.

Ovechkin hands down. He is the example of a Typical Canadian Hockey Player. Hits, Digs and Digs, and can score goals and will not shy in the corners. Even looks like a Canadian player with that toothless grin. Crosby on the other hand is a pretty boy. I think I would have more fun having a few beers with Ovy then pretty boy Crosby.

Ovechkin hands down. He is the example of a Typical Canadian Hockey Player. Hits, Digs and Digs, and can score goals and will not shy in the corners. Even looks like a Canadian player with that toothless grin. Crosby on the other hand is a pretty boy. I think I would have more fun having a few beers with Ovy then pretty boy Crosby.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I completly agree...give me OV...complete balls out hockey...he gets to the dirty areas...you now the areas that crosby is on the outside waiting and watching...

Bad game last night...not fair to blame one guy...the whole team sucked...Tonight is goingt o be awsome, or should be...looking forward to two great game 7's.

Ovechkin

He is the best all around player, hands down!

Crosby is a fantastic playmaker, but Ovechkin has it all.

Plus...Ovechkin doesn't WHINE about every little thing! :lol:

Edited by Stoty

Wish the game last night was a bit closer! Definitely the Capitals rely much more on Ovetchkin than Pittsburgh relies on Crosby to win has they have guys like Malkin and Guerin who are great especially the former. The way Ovetchkin has transformed that team, and how he has helped turn that city into a hockey lovin town is truly a great story.

79% of the geneal managers in the NHL stated that if they were starting a team today, Crosby would be the guy that they would choose to build around. Sort of sums it up pretty quick. Ovechkin, if he doesn't have the puck he is no where to be seen especially in his own end. Prime example, last night, gives up the puck to Crosby and Crosby goes in and scores. Where is Ovechkin, in the Pittsburg zone watching it. Does not even try to come back. In head to head match ups between the two, Crosby is dominating. Game 7 last nite, who showed up to play, Crosby.

To say Crosby doesn't dig the pucks out of the corners etc is foolishness personified. Guess you did not see him behind the nets or back checking. To say he is always off to the side etc or standing behind the net, nothing wrong with using your brain out there. Gretzky seemed to do that a lot too and like Gretzky said, go where the puck is going not where it has been.

79% of the GM are also american (no offense to our US friends)!

Last night, the caps didnt lose because of 1 or 2 bad plays from OV...they lost due to a complete team shutdown...when your starting goalie was as week as Varlamanov was its hard to bounce...And as for the Pens...the entire TEAM showed up, with the exception of Malkin who continuely skates with a yellow streak behind him. Fleury was awsome last night. To say that Crosby outplayed OV, when both were plying to win is foolishness personified.

Ovechkin has scored over 50 goals 3 out of his first 4 seasons in the NHL (46 goals in the other one). He's by far the most skilled player in the league and if I were a GM looking to add a forward and it was between those 2 players, there is no doubt in my mind which one I would choose.

Ovechkin by the way, would be the only European Id have on my team, except maybe Kasparitis in his younger Days. Not because I dislike them, its because they play my kind of Hockey. Canadian. Opps forgot Chara.

Quite simply put...Crosby

Ovechkin is a great, and very skilled player no doubt, but Crosby does something Ovy doesn't

Crosby make the guys around him better.

He's a playmaker who uses his entire line, and he makes the other his other team mates on the ice better.

Ovechkin will do it all himself, but he's still only one man, and albeit a close call that showed in the Cap/Pens series.

Heck I'd take either one, but Crosby has more leadership quality, more humility, and in my oppinion that kind of play will

boost a team, more consitently (unless its Jersey sales we're talking about)

oh...and as a former Defensman, and Coach I find one of Crosby's habbits very indicitive of a rounded player....he back checks!