Still worth it to buy a boat in the States?

Dutch

Anyone buy a boat in the states lately?

I'm just wondering if I should start looking, but with the exchange rate being where it is, about $1.20 and adding on the 13% at the border, just wondering if anyone else still thinks it's worth it. That adds about 30%+ to the posted price of the boat as well as the gas to go down and get it.

Probably more selection in the States than there is around here though.

What you all think?

I wouldn't even consider a boat here when the prices are far better in the US along with the selection.. Forget about the taxes, you'll have to pay those here too.. I drove to Wisconnsin there and back 2200 kms in round trip with 4 hrs of sleep.. There's a few on Ebay I'm looking at now and a couple on another site as well.. I bought my Princecraft Pro 167 for $3800.00 and used it here for 6 months and sold it for $9800.00. All the upgrades and gas, basically everything I did to it, I still managed to make a profit of $3700.00..

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.. My wife keeps telling me to make a business out of it, buying & sellling a couple boats a month for the summer.. Who knows, it may happen...

Before the changes...the day I brought it home..

DSCF0462.jpg

After a few changes and upgrades..

DSCF0523.jpg

Anyone buy a boat in the states lately?

I'm just wondering if I should start looking, but with the exchange rate being where it is, about $1.20 and adding on the 13% at the border, just wondering if anyone else still thinks it's worth it. That adds about 30%+ to the posted price of the boat as well as the gas to go down and get it.

Probably more selection in the States than there is around here though.

What you all think?

COME ON DOWN!! B) !... Have we Got a Deal For You!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Those Canadian "gold backs" (C notes) spend just as well down here as they do up there!!!

Even with the exchange rate, we can beat your unionized inflated prices!!! ;):thumbsup_anim:

We are about to do just that, and after all the taxes etc. it is still going to be a way better deal that up here.

We were orginally going to buy in Canada but found out why there are no boats around. The dealer told us that with the "recession" they are afraid to order any boats in case they get stuck with them. So you basically have to order one new since there aren't many used, and the wait time can be 6 - 12 weeks. Then you're paying for them to ship it up from the States anyhow, then you're paying your taxes also. Not really saving anything.

Most of the dealers will meet you at the border aswell, so the gas to drive to the border isn't that bad.

I'd much rather buy Canadian, but we've been searching for months now, and with so little flexibility from the dealers up here, its a no brainer to buy Stateside!

Joey

It depends on a lot of factors. First, if you're looking for a used boat then the selection is far greater in the U.S. As for prices, well you still have to be careful....if the deal seems to be too good to be true, then it probably is. I know of some who have rushed into the deal and got burned with bad motors. Second, if you're buying a new boat then there should be no difference, all dealers buy their boats from the same places and pay the same prices for them. They all have to make a profit on resale otherwise they wouldn't be/stay in business. Smart dealers don't carry a lot of inventory simply because of the fluctuating exchange rates. If buying new or used, patience is a virtue.

I purchased my 2006 Ranger used from an individual in the U.S. in Nov. of 2007, when the CDN dollar had peaked at $1.10U.S.. I did good because of the exchange rate, but at $0.80 it wouldn't have been such a great deal. Bringing it across the boarder is easy but be prepared to pay both taxes at entry to Canada. And don't lie about the purchase price, getting caught could prove to be a nightmare. Carry proof as to the purchase price. i.e. the advertisement, original invoice, etc..