Pictures of OOS Fish

diggyj

Can anyone confirm what the rules are regarding taking pictures of OOS Fish? Is it legal or not? I have seen it done in many reports and all of them say released immediately. Any clarification would be great as this is a topic I do not know the correct answer to.

I am aware that storing them in a livewell for pictures is 100% illegal and should never be done but can you take a quick pic and release it thereafter?

Thanks,

Dirk..........

Here is a quote from the MNR website.

Fishing season opening and closing dates vary depending on the species and the area. It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them. Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back into the water. Closed seasons protect fish at vulnerable times of the year, especially when they are spawning or protecting their young.

Link

Edited by bdox

You know it's a bass or another OOS fish unhook it and let it go in the water no need to bring it out.

Your fishing with a friend have that friend take the picture of the fish at the side of the boat.

Makes for a better picture and your not the bad guy for posting it out of the water.

There is no need for it to ever leave the water even to unhook.

You know it's a bass or another OOS fish unhook it and let it go in the water no need to bring it out.

Your fishing with a friend have that friend take the picture of the fish at the side of the boat.

Makes for a better picture and your not the bad guy for posting it out of the water.

There is no need for it to ever leave the water even to unhook.

I second that notion. Emmediatly, meaning not taking the fish out of the water, walking over to budday's boat shed with it to take a picture.

Emmediatly. Too bad there's no Laymen term for it eh?! <_<

its not always that easy tho when we were up north for walleye opener my dad got a musky and we had to bring it in the boat to unhook it there was no other way

I would put that in the same category as speeding to the hospital when you have a woman about to give birth in the car. Justifiable something or other.

Otherwise, I agree with Highdrifter and Aile. Leave them in the water.

nice but

in my boat I have to lean way over to unhook a fish in the water and many boats like Waynes big lund you need to bring them on board and torpedo them back into the water to release them, many charter boat are the same, way too high to do what you suggest

and if you think it's against the law

then who is breaking the law, the guy holding the fish or the guy taking the picture

cause often I take a picture of the other guy holding a fish by saying his name while he is unhooking it

he looks up to see what I want and I snap the picture..love to see him get a ticket for that......

the mnr talks about catch and release and say to take a picture quickly and to remember if you don't release it immediately it counts against your limit......which, without a doubt implies/states/says you can unhook it , take a picture and still immediately release a fish

"cut and paste from MNR website

Here are some tips for successful catch-and-release:

Angling

* Use barbless hooks; avoid using live or organic bait.

* Reduce the time a fish is played.

* Angling-induced stress and mortality increase considerably as water temperatures increase. Generally, the cooler the water the better the chance a released fish will live. Taking a fish from deep, cool water up to warm surface water can be especially stressful. If you plan to release your catch, avoid fishing during extremely hot periods of the summer.

Handling

* Keep the fish in the water as much as possible and handle the fish gently.

* Reduce handling that removes the slimy protective coating on fish.

* Do not squeeze or touch the gills. Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers. For panfish and bass, it is best to grasp the fish by the lower lip.

* Use long-nose pliers to remove the hook quickly without tearing or injuring the fish. If the fish is hooked deeply, cut the line and leave the hook in when the fish is released.

* Never put a fish that you may release on a stringer, use a functional livewell or release the fish immediately. Remember that all fish kept (in a livewell, on a stringer, etc.) and not immediately released count toward your daily catch and retain or possession limit.

Photographing

* Be ready ahead of time! Take pictures quickly, minimizing the amount of time the fish is out of the water.

* Hold the fish in a horizontal position, supporting its weight with your arm and hands. Do not hold large fish in a vertical position.

Releasing

* Revive the fish before letting go. Hold the fish upright in a swimming position in the water, moving the fish slowly forward and backward so water runs through the gills.

* Ensure the fish is breathing and can swim away under its own power before it is released.

Remember the future of fishing is in your hands!"

Edited by Terry

As long as the fish is released (in a timely manner), who really cares if you take the extra 10 seconds (literally) to take a picture??

Heck, trying to keep the fish in the water to unhook it, for lots of people, would actually take longer and do MORE harm than bringing it into the boat, unhook, picture, and release.

Releasing

* Revive the fish before letting go. Hold the fish upright in a swimming position in the water, moving the fish slowly forward and backward so water runs through the gills.

* Ensure the fish is breathing and can swim away under its own power before it is released.

I know this was taken from the MNR website... moving a fish back and forth is NOT a way to revive them. How many fish have you seen swimming backwards... fish should just be moved forwards and NOT backwards.... my 2 cents

Edited by Crazyhook

yeah I really think the problem is people think well if I can take a picture, then I must be allowed to catch it and if I can catch it, I must be able to fish for it'. so I will go out this weekend and fish for bass OOS..and that is not the case........you must not can not fish for OOS fish period......

Have I just entered a star trek time warp and gone back to Saturday?

This is where Roy shows up and says ok a father got lambasted for this scenario some time back...lock er up

Mr Chekov warp 5 and bones I'll need 10 cc's rye and coke stat...

If you have a good set of cutters just cut the hooks off.

Easier said then done i know when it comes to muskies.

Why would you cut the hook, I can understand if the hooking was really bad but if the hooks can be removed within a minute or 2 then take the time to get the hooks out. I don't think a OOS Musky want's to be on there bed(if they have beds like the bass do) with a big hook in it's mouth.

Maybe I'm wrong I just think that it would be better to have the hooks out.

If you follow the law, as it is, you cannot take a picture of an OOS fish. Immediately means just that. Not measuring, not weighing and not mugging for a camera. You can do as you please, but don't try and justify breaking a law because: 1) that species hasn't started to spawn yet, 2) It was the biggest one of that species that you've ever caught (PB Poachers Best) or 3) because you want to show off the fish in your report on OFC.

Edited by jediangler

I can't speak directly to the laws in Ontario, but in Ohio, the intention of specifying immediate release is to prevent someone from from putting a fish in a livewell or stringer for release later. Law enforcement here is not going to ding you for snapping a quick picture. I would suggest anyone concerned about this consulting with the MNR, rather than relying on the OFC legal department, however.

jediangler, you are wrong

Immediately means within a reasonable time that will not affect the health of the fish

Immediately means quickly

the mnr stated and I already posted it, Immediately mean not putting it on a stringer or livewell but you can take a picture..not the MNR state that on their website , so how can you argue....

if a cop is following you and over their PA system call out pull over Immediately, do you pull over that very second, because they said Immediately, even if that means running over people walking or a parked car, but they said Immediately, so you kill 3 people

well don't be stupid, they mean pull over in a reasonable amount of time when it is safe.....and that is what Immediately means in the law, within a reasonable amount of time and if the fishing world it means in a timely fashion that will not cause more harm to the fish ...

it s not against the law to take a picture of a fish, get over it

Edited by Terry

Guest gbfisher

Some funny comments. Its truly hilarious that most don't know the rules regarding fishing regulations.

Taking pictures of OOS fish is completely LEGAL. No harm done and as Terry said. .............GET OVER IT!.. :lol:

if a cop is following you and over their PA system call out pull over Immediately, do you pull over that very second, because they said Immediately, even if that means running over people walking or a parked car, but they said Immediately, so you kill 3 people

well don't be stupid, they mean pull over in a reasonable amount of time when it is safe.....and that is what Immediately means in the law, within a reasonable amount of time and if the fishing world it means in a timely fashion that will not cause more harm to the fish ...

it s not against the law to take a picture of a fish, get over it

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But it also doesn't mean that you can pull over, get out of your car , get your buddy to take your picture then see what the police officer wants???

Immediatly means just that. As soon you can. If they meant as soon as you can after taking a picture and weighing it they would've said so. It is against the law You get over it!!!!!

Edited by wallyboss

wallyboss, then you did not read my cut and paste from the MNR website, they use the word "Immediately" then said take a picture but do it quickly, the only thing you can read into it is, they are using the legal definition of the word Immediately, to mean in a timely fashion that will not cause more harm to the fish,

again they say release the fish Immediately, but if you want to take a picture do it quickly

what else can that mean but yes you can take a picture