lake dalrymple/sparrow lake

domcom50

hey there

looking at rental cottages and narrowed it down to sparrow and dalrymple

would love some good fishing but havnt fished either and would greatly appreciate some info on which is more fun to fish

know they both have the big four but heard in 07 zebra mussels affected dalrymple

havnt heard much about sparrow

all info would help alot and make it an easier decision for me

thanks in advance :mellow:

Dalrymple is one of those easy lakes to fish. Sometimes the pike are a nuisance. Fish there a few times a year. A lot less boat traffic. Have not seen any problems with the fishery there. Lake Dalrymple Resort has some fair priced cottages to stay at. 705-833-2400

I have been fishing up at Dalrymple for years now. It has some pretty good bass (LM and SM), pike, walleye and muskie. Was up there for openner and there were a lot of boats dispite the weather. We have caught some biggies too, 4 lb+bass, 48 muskie, 5-8 lb pike, ( i have seen 14 lbers caught there too), nice walleye, (been low in numbers in the past but they seem to be coming back, but I would recommend minimize the numbers you keep).

We did okay on Saturday, 2 pike about 4 lbs each, nice 3lb+ walleye, an OOS smallie, and a monster 15" perch.

There are number of bass and pike tourneys there through out the spring and summer too.

Unfortunately it does have a high number of zebra mussels too, and access to a boat launch is minimal. There is one at the narrows (I don't think its well maintained); Lazyee Acres (almost $17 to launch ouch), I know Meadow's end has a launch too but I am not sure if they let the public use it.

Sparrow is a nice lake, have fished it a few times. Fair number of other boats out on all of those days, I guess it's a popular fishing lake given its proximity to TO.

Caught some decent bass and pike as I recall, didn't know the lake at all so we just tried the usual good-looking spots.

Mike

Me, and Me and others. Here is how I look at it, $20 k boat, and the cost of a vehical, and a tow when you get stuck, vs $17 launch fee. Years ago I went fishing with my cousin and we used the cement launch at Meadows End. Well, at the end of the cement ramp (that was short) was a drop off enough to bottom out your vehical, and you needed to go that far out to float your boat off of a bunk trailer. I don't know if they fixed it, but then again they don't permit access to the public to use their ramp anymore.

I don't think 17 is that bad (although I'd rather pay less!). Somebody has to put build the ramp, pave it, maintain it, provide real estate for you to park on etc...all on property they are paying tax on. Gotta make a living somehow. If there is no other option on a lake I've seen rates much worse

That guy in Turkey Point wanted $20.00 last summer. I showed him, I spent $15.00 to drive to Port Rowan where it was only $10.00 to launch!

I know it seems like a hose job Stoty, but it is kind of the cost of doing business (kind of like paying for minnows and worms) and they do have to make hay while the sun shines. Besides you can't drive around in your fancy smancy outfit then balk at a launch fee, it's bad form old man.

Jim

Paying $17 to launch and park does sound steep to me as well, but on the other hand, I have heard countless stories of vandalism and theft at some of the "public" launching areas on various lakes.

I know for a fact that your tow vehicle is safe at Layzee Acres. For peace of mind and a good ramp, it might just be worth it.

I know for a fact that your tow vehicle is safe at Layzee Acres. For peace of mind and a good ramp, it might just be worth it.

True, very true. Only word of caution would be to back the boat in very slowly......steep ramp. :D

I'll pay for a nice ramp anyday over a decrepid unmaintaineded one. Ever lost an axle?

So true, I once spent 2.5hrs of fishing time trying to get the truck out of a unmaintained ramp.

I almost always pay for concrete now; almost 'cause I have 4-wheel drive now :D