My centerpin bearings wont spin anymore

To cut the long story short, something found its way into my Sheffield bearings

and has got to the point that they dont spin anymore

looking for replacement/upgrade bearings

but could not find specifications of the original 'German HBP bearings' to compare to

Any ideas on HBP bearings and perhaps suggestions on where/what to buy them?

Thanks in advance

Look at BillM's avatar (and your own for that matter) and the mystery of what happened may be solved.

While I am no rocket surgeon, 20 years of millwriting has honed my trouble shooting skills to a fine edge.

Jim

Look at BillM's avatar (and your own for that matter) and the mystery of what happened may be solved.

While I am no rocket surgeon, 20 years of millwriting has honed my trouble shooting skills to a fine edge.

Jim

Actually they're made for that. Generally stainless steel is used.

The better reels have composite bearing with ceramic parts.

Some are entirely ceramic....

Many are also shielded making them pretty much bombproof anyway.

I've been laying my centrepins in the water for 30 years and have never had bearings rust

Remove the bearings and soak them overnight in kerosene.

Reinstall with a couple drops of sewing machine oil.

Try that first, my guess is you'll be good to go.

yep, it will all be fine if you do this.

In fact I do it quite often, and at the end of/beginning of every season.

Jim

heh

Jim, I feel bad dunking the reel in the water, that was just for a good picture, lol..

I clean mine after every trip, the last thing I need is to pooch some bearings in a very expensive reel.

Jim

I'm surprised as well that after almost a year on these boards that's the first time I've seen someone point that out. As surprised as I am by people who pay $500+ for a real and dunk it in the water.

I'm surprised as well that after almost a year on these boards that's the first time I've seen someone point that out. As surprised as I am by people who pay $500+ for a real and dunk it in the water.

Luckily that isn't a $500 reel :)

But like Solo said, some of the more expensive reels come with sealed bearings.. A little dunk isn't going to hurt anything...

With a safety pin or something you should be able to pop the cover off the bearing and access the insides to check for the offending substrate.

Then follow the kerosene, sewing machine protocol and see what happens, worth a try before you look into new ones.

About dunking the reels in water...they're for fishing not display. A little post trip care and cleaning will alleviate these problems

With a safety pin or something you should be able to pop the cover off the bearing and access the insides to check for the offending substrate.

Then follow the kerosene, sewing machine protocol and see what happens, worth a try before you look into new ones.

About dunking the reels in water...they're for fishing not display. A little post trip care and cleaning will alleviate these problems

Well said, that is why my original Zebco Cardinals 30 - 35 years old and my two DAM Quicks same vintage are still my go to reels for any and all type of fishing.

FLEX

Actually they're made for that. Generally stainless steel is used.

The better reels have composite bearing with ceramic parts.

Some are entirely ceramic....

Many are also shielded making them pretty much bombproof anyway.

I've been laying my centrepins in the water for 30 years and have never had bearings rust

Like the guy swimming in Egypt, you're in d'nile ;)

Jim

Like the guy swimming in Egypt, you're in d'nile ;)

Jim

I've never had mine in d'nile but it has been in d'notty, d'geen, d'sauble, d'sydenham, d'beaver, d'bighead, d'credit, d'bronte and many other rivers in the last 28 years and other than the occasional rinse it's never failed me. ;)

The sealed bearings are as good as the day I bought the reel.

I've never had mine in d'nile but it has been in d'notty, d'geen, d'sauble, d'sydenham, d'beaver, d'bighead, d'credit, d'bronte and many other rivers in the last 28 years and other than the occasional rinse it's never failed me. The sealed bearings are as good as the day I bought the reel.

I've dropped my reels into d'Duffins and d'Don...I'm stuttering uncontrollably :lol:

actually sheilded bearings are the worst. They are sheilded, not sealed.....the water and small particles (floating sediment in even clear water rivers) will penetrate fairly easily upon complete imerrsion, but will not come out as easily......kinda like an old spare tire.......especially if you dunk on purpose, you need your head examined IMO......what possible reason whould one have for intentionally placing a high tolarance, precision made pc of equipment in a river....I'll never know. Just cause you did it for years doesn't make it right, or smart.......I've only run float reels for 25 years so what do I know ?

Back in the day, shielded was all we had so cleaning regularly was a must. if your bearings are grease packed...you will notice a problem the second water gets in there, or cold weather. Oil packed will still give you headaches just not as fast. Either way, if they are shielded...what ever gets in will have trouble getting out.

Like solo said, you have to get the old crap, oil, dirt and grease out with a good solvent and then, get the solvent out....drop of good sewing machine oil will get you going again...go to fabric land, they have some good stuff there. Trust me, judging from the thousands of pictures SOLO posts on boards all over the place, SOLO knows how to clean a bearing!!!!

I am running Japanease ABEC 7's ceramic hybrid, non sheilded bearings. Technically, they require no lube and water has can flow in and out easily if you are a dunker. They cannot corrode and smooooooth isn't even the word to describe them....you get what you pay for.

These bearings will be available istandard in ALL Kingpin 478 and 450 reels for the fall 09 season. Up-grades will be available for previous models for a nominal fee.

I had a tip 6 years ago to invest in gold at under $300oz and didn't do it....kick my self now. This year I am making up for by investing in these bearings! ......better than gold baby!

RR

I've never had mine in d'nile but it has been in d'notty, d'geen, d'sauble, d'sydenham, d'beaver, d'bighead, d'credit, d'bronte and many other rivers in the last 28 years and other than the occasional rinse it's never failed me. The sealed bearings are as good as the day I bought the reel.

You almost made me piss my pants!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you just let the rope you use just lie in loops at your feet? I mean does the reel really need to turn at all, can't you just wrap it around like on a Yo-Yo?

As you can see, my expertise is in bearings and what affects them worldwide and regardless of protection; contamination. And not in the type of fishing that necessitates standing in water and laying your equipment in same. :blink:

Jim

Don't you just let the rope you use just lie in loops at your feet? I mean does the reel really need to turn at all, can't you just wrap it around like on a Yo-Yo?

As you can see, my expertise is in bearings and what affects them worldwide and regardless of protection; contamination. And not in the type of fishing that necessitates standing in water and laying your equipment in same. :blink:

Jim

I think your confusing the centerpin float reel with a fly reel. the centerpin has bearings that allow the "spool" to turn freely so the user can achive a drag free drift. also on a float rod and reel you do the same as you would a spinning reel, you fight the fish with the reel. unlike fly fishing where you have the choice to fight the fish on the reel or by hand...

I think your confusing the centerpin float reel with a fly reel.

I think that you are correct sir! I am ignorant of both types (or just plain ignorant) and a fan of neither.

I am wondering though, if you can buy Bearing Buddies for your centre fly pin float reely thing. I drive my trailer in the water all the time and have not had a bearing problem yet.

Jim