Hmmm.... What about maple for the transom ?

Lunker777

Well..... Today was a great day! :lol:

When I arrived to work on the boat with Granps for a bit. My uncle was just leaving and we started to talk about things I needed to do to get the boat water ready. The transom being one of them.

He let me know that the neighbor has a PILE of hard wood that him and his father bought a while ago. So luckily enough, while we were standing talking Steve, the neighbor, pulled in his drive and we started to talk. I asked if he had any hardwood, Oak to be exact and he said they were running short on Oak, but he had lots of Maple ?

Now... I didn't know what to say to this. I haven't come across maple as being used for transoms since I started my search for the right type of wood to use.

I said to him that I didn't know if maple would work and he said "well its works if its free, right ? If it rots, replace it in five years! " ... To a point he is right... But on the other hand, I kind of wanted to do everything the "RIGHT" way on this boat if possible... regardless of free things or not ! :unsure: Seeing as it takes 26 rivets to hold the transom support in place... I kind of wanted to next transom to hold tuff for many years to come... not just for myself, but the folks who come to own it after me .

So... before doing any re-search on the subject... I gave him the old transom board and off he went to his fathers wood shop to get to work...... Hold on, I just wanted to thank Steve for all his help at this point because it was a huge surprise today, I didn't expect to find a replacement transom today which was one of the bigger things on the list. Thanks Steve ! :worthy: :worthy:

I figure that if the wood is sealed 3-4 times over after all the holes have been drilled... and if I use some 3M 5200 on the hardware holding it on. The piece of maple should be pretty rot resistant, no? :dunno:

What do you think ?

Out with the old...

031-1.jpg

In with the new... maybe... :wallbash:

032-1.jpg

033.jpg

035-1.jpg

Thanks for tuning in ! hahah

Have a good night everyone !

Edited by Lunker777

Maple is not the best. Its hard but not that porous so it wont absorb the epoxy or resin you are using to build it. ITs actually not rot resistant at all and rivet holes will bomb out. You can make it out of marine plywood coated with resin/glass cloth. Another more permanent idea is luan mahogany plywood. The 3/16 stuff from a building supply works well if you use a layer of epoxy resin and glass cloth between layers and build it up to the thickness you want. IT really absorbs the epoxy resin well. Then coat the outside with the same stuff and cut to size/shape. Seal the edges with more epoxy resin using it like paint. You should not leave the epoxy exposed to sunlight though so you will want to paint it after.

You're over thinking this whole thing... just gitter done. You're gonna miss the fishing season at this rate ! lol

Oh.. and did I say it before.. don't weld !

hahahah I just need to to be EXACTLY 1" thick... My plan was to go with Oak, but the store was selling me "green oak" so I had some questions about that. In the mean time this maple came up... Im going to use it I think...

and about the welding... it hasn't happened.. YET.... still debating it .

I guess i shoulda looked at the pic before posting. Its not a full transom I guess, just the top motor mount area. In that case, like other have said, seal it on all sides and bolt'er up and get fishing.

Heck, if I woulda seen the size sooner. I have a bunch of dry red oak and coulda milled you a 1" piece pretty easy. If anybody else needs some, let me know

Where were you 2 days ago ? hahah I think your a little far for a peice of wood.. but thanks !

Im going to get the sealer and get the maple ready tonight after work !

One more thing to check off the list !