Another First

Zubris21

Well Kalvin and I were beginning to get tired of the hardwater season. Seems like we've punched thousands of holes. So yesterday we decided to head to one of the rivers that is opening up and try our luck with the spinning rods. We weren't very optimistic, but thought we might hook into a wandering northern, or perhaps a grayling.

First spot we stopped at was a convergence of two rivers, fished for about an hour with nothing to speak of. We packed up and headed back towards home. On the way we stopped at another river crossing, because we wanted to scout a lake that was only a short bushwhack up the river. We brought the rods along, and each only 1 lure. Even left the camera in the car. Along the way We casted a few spots, and wouldn't you know it within 5 Minutes we each had our first ever Arctic Grayling. We wanted a picture with them so we kept the first two, then I later gilled one so kept her aswell.

We ended up landing 24 fish in 2 hours. That's an avg of a fish every 5 mins. I will definitely be back to target these little fellas again. Pound for pound they are one of the scrappiest fish I've ever caught. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but these fish are beautiful, nice blue/purple irridesence, that the camera really can't pick up. That and they'd been dead for a while.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

From what I know and have seen about Graylings, those look to be a pretty nice size!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for posting that!!! :Gonefishing::clapping:

Thats what I was thinking as well..... grayling is on my "want to catch list" for sure!

Burt :)

From what I know and have seen about Graylings, those look to be a pretty nice size!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for posting that!!! :Gonefishing::clapping:

Thats what I was thinking as well..... grayling is on my "want to catch list" for sure!

Burt :)

I have a feeling they are as well. Forgot to measure, but the ones on the picks were roughly 17". The crazy thing is that these guys were avg sizes for the day. There were a few that were half that size, and a couple that were probably in the 22" range.

Burt, I don't think a lot of people have them high on their want to catch list, but they should be. Like I said, incredible fight out of these guys and they are plentiful. Some of them had my 6'6" medium action rod bent over double pulling drag!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Those are huge grayling :thumbsup_anim:

I've always wanted to try fly fishing for them and getting one on a dry fly. Even with the bridge in the background, the scenery is pretty sweet. Those fish are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

Nice fish! I'm headed to BC next week. I'm after sturgeon. I think the grayling would be out of my reach. I'm assuming your a long ways from Van?

Sinker

only about 1800 Kms away. Just a short drive, or a two hour flight then a 7 hour drive on top of that. Good luck with the sturgeon, They are on my want to catch list!

Road trip.... :D

Nice fish guys, sail fin whities. ;)

Funny you should mention this, I was doing some research, because I don't know much about Grayling. Turns out they are actually part of the Salmonidae family. But their flesh is nice and white and light, great eats!

Great report!

What a great way to start the new season!

I was given a book with pictures and descriptions of freshwater fish when i was about 10 years old, there were pictures of grayling in it, and ever since that day i have wanted to catch them....some day.........

Thanks for posting.

Funny you should mention this, I was doing some research, because I don't know much about Grayling. Turns out they are actually part of the Salmonidae family. But their flesh is nice and white and light, great eats!

"Salmonidae", exactly, the one thing they all have in common is the adipose fin.

Though I've never eaten grayling I have had plenty of whitefish. Delicious! :D