Another Steelheader added to our ranks

Fang

Opener turned into a special trip for me this year. About 2 weeks ago my 10 yr old son told me he was coming trout fishing this year. We scouted the river prior to opener and real quick he started picking out the long shapes of the steelhead resting in the current and on spawning redds.

To add to this my fishing bud Rob (family guy) made the trip back from Trenton to do opener. Something we haven't had the chance to do for 5-6 years now

With last weeks rains I had this nagging feeling not to expect much and sure enough the river was crystal clear and the levels were a little low for spring. I woke the boys at 4 am this morning and we headed out. First look at the parking lot showed us we were first to arrive and we headed to the one big deep pool that always holds a bunch of post spawn.

As first light approached I put my son on the bend and he started casting up a worm to the head of the pool. Second drift he tags into a nice 4-5 lb trout which wraps him right up in the wood. About 5 minutes later he hooks another bigger trout and same things - right into a big log jam.

Third times a charms. We changed set up and added a small float and on the first drift he sets the hook onto a nice spawned out hen. Great fight and he handled it start to finish.

DSCF9204.jpg

A moment I'll remember for a while

IMG_4578.jpg

We spent the rest of the day scratching through the river with little results. A few small trout 6-10" and a couple of chub.