Rice Lake has RAILTRACKS running through it?!

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

So, I was doing a search online for this "Infamous" Rail Tracks that run through Rice Lake. I still haven't found where it is... but I'm still searching....I think I might have it narrowed down... but I want to confirm on other sites (or through someone here on OFC). PM me if you'd like to share with me where they are...Like I said, I think I might have narrowed it down... but I need to get confirmations...Besides, we're renting a boat and I don't want to waste time riding the boat, when I could be fishing, ya know? Can anyone kindly point out WHERE I can find these "tracks" that run through it? I remember seeing it on a map once before....

Anyway, I came across THIS ARTICLE from another fishing forum on THEE STRANGEST thing ever used to fish...read the bottom article. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS?! Hahahaha... I find this IMPOSSIBLE!! I mean.... how did someone "accidently" come across this discovery..."Hmm, I tried all my lures....oh! here's that C _ _ A M that my wife was looking for.... oh well, lets try it out!......BAM!! FISH ON!!"

Anyway, just 2 things I thought I'd share and ask...

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

There used to be a rail line going across the lake from back in the day (1850's) when everything was constructed in straight lines. It runs through Tic island (formerly Ticket island). It was built to connect Cobourg to Peterborough.

Head toward Tic island and you will see the marker buoys where you supposed to pass through to avoid the sunken railway.

http://www.harwoodmuseum.ca/railway3.htm

They are about half way up the lake, extending from Tic island west to the Indian reserve (on the other side of the lake).

If you're renting a boat from Bewdley, you dont have to worry about them, because I doubt your going to make a 2 hour run up the lake in a rental boat.

Rice is pretty friendly if run out of Beweldy pass the first island's the lake will open up. On the north side there is a white church with a steeple to the south you will see a resort with Orange roofs this is you're warning.

No amount of time savings is worth not going to the markers.

Starting on the north side right at shoreline there are markers buoys.

In the middle of the lake traveling either east or west aim for the second Island you come to the buoy's.

Tick on north side right at shore there are buoys.

Now 2/3 from Tick to south shore there is un marked pass threw go slow it's about 8ft wide and 1 boat at a time.

Garnet

Now 2/3 from Tick to south shore there is un marked pass threw go slow it's about 8ft wide and 1 boat at a time.

HIGHLY discourage a person new to the lake to use this....WAY too risky.

Take the extra 2 mins, and go to the bouys on tick island.

Edited by Stoty

They are about half way up the lake, extending from Tic island west to the Indian reserve (on the other side of the lake).

If you're renting a boat from Bewdley, you dont have to worry about them, because I doubt your going to make a 2 hour run up the lake in a rental boat.

If you plan on fishing their, definately don't rent a boat from Bewdley, like Stoty said, it'll take you 2 hours to get there and by the time you get back, you'll have an empty tank. Also check out alot of the coves by their on the north shore, just anchor and you'll catch virtually every variety of fish in that lake in one place. Let us know how ya do, I'm heading up there in July and possibly a weekend in May.

Edited by Hooked

If you plan on fishing their, definately don't rent a boat from Bewdley, like Stoty said, it'll take you 2 hours to get there and by the time you get back, you'll have an empty tank. Also check out alot of the coves by their on the north shore, just anchor and you'll catch virtually every variety of fish in that lake in one place. Let us know how ya do, I'm heading up there in July and possibly a weekend in May.

Doh! :wallbash: We did... Any idea how big of a motor they have on their boats? We're probably gonna work the in-land bays that are near Bewdley... I was thinking we wouldn't make it that far out with enough time to fish....

Doh! :wallbash: We did... Any idea how big of a motor they have on their boats? We're probably gonna work the in-land bays that are near Bewdley... I was thinking we wouldn't make it that far out with enough time to fish....

ask around Rob I'm sure you can get action around Bewdly for fishing! It's a huge lake Im sure you'll be fine / :dunno::wacko:

You guys don't have to go far for crappies out of Bewdley. They're calling for a SW wind at 25km for saturday, that wind can whip up that lake pretty good. I wouldn't go too far in a rental. They're 14fters with 9.9's. Stick to the Bewdley area, you'll see all the boats fishing crappie on the north shore. Stick to that area. I would bring an extra length of rope to add to your anchor line, the ones supplied are too short for a wind like that. Nothing worse than finding fish, and not holding with your anchor.

Sinker

Yeah, I was going to ask around anyway - but I thought I would try and get an answer ahead of time.

Sinker - I think that's what we're gonna plan on doing anyway....stick around Bewdley for Crappies. I'm definitely going to bring some extra rope for the anchor.

Thanks everyone who helped me out!! I'll make a report when I come back - hopefully, I won't forget my camera! :wallbash:

Yeah, I was going to ask around anyway - but I thought I would try and get an answer ahead of time.

Sinker - I think that's what we're gonna plan on doing anyway....stick around Bewdley for Crappies. I'm definitely going to bring some extra rope for the anchor.

Thanks everyone who helped me out!! I'll make a report when I come back - hopefully, I won't forget my camera! :wallbash:

don't forget your camera man :rolleyes::D

Something neat when I went to google to look at the map satilite photo of the lake.. If you zoom in enough, the south end of the lakes photos have been updated with Winter! photos.. so you can see what half the lake looks like frozen!

Here is where they are.

The red line is the tracks...the blue are the ONLY safe places to cross (between the markers)

Rice-Lake.jpg

Something neat when I went to google to look at the map satilite photo of the lake.. If you zoom in enough, the south end of the lakes photos have been updated with Winter! photos.. so you can see what half the lake looks like frozen!

Haha, yes I noticed that, hence why I zoomed out a bit for the view! Didnt want to confuse anyone!

It is very difficult not to see where the tracks are.

A friendly reminder unless you have detailed local knowledge of the water you are on you must have a current edition of the Small-Craft Nautical Charts for the water you are on.

Now I have been going to Rice since i was 5 years old.

Guess what...still got with a chart ;)

Two years ago a guy I know that used to dock at our marina ventured out to Rice with the wife and kids. Hit the rocks/tracks at 40 mph and destroyed the boat.

His wife and kids are now terrified and dont want to go out in the "new" boat.

Always be safe and prepared.

Conditions change very fast there with the winds. Be prepared to get off the water quickly if need be.

One tip I can give about Rice or any lake is to check the wind direction and velocity the day before and plan your day, for instance it says 30 km sw on sat and sun which is pretty substantial on Rice, I've seen it get pretty choppy when the wind blows the length of the lake. I'd probably fish close to Bewdley or the south shoreline or around the islands looking for weed beds.

The good thing about Rice, pretty much all shorelines contain all sorts of fish. It's a panfish factory there for sure. If you can, just stay to the shore from where the wind is coming from, will cut down alot of the wind for ya's. Good luck.

who said anything about being Windy this Saturday ..its going to be calm warm and ooh yes full of fishies Cant wait to see all those reports! Ps don't forget your cameras ( should be kept in the tackle box the night before ) lol :w00t:

These guys seem to think its going to be windy. Bad direction for Rice. I might cancel my plans to head out there if its that windy.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0151

Sinker