Time for "Green" Tournaments

musky_man

Bass boats aren't the only ones with big motors ripping around the lake. I've almost been run over more than once by people pulling waterskiers not watching where they're going and by jetskiers also. I fished 60 hp and unders, 125 and unders and now I have a 21' with a 225 so I can fish all the big water tournies that I couldn't with a smaller boat and I like the bigger boat much better than the others I've fished from. Many times it's a safety issue also, I don't think the boats from the 60's would have held up on big water like Waynes' lund or a 21'er. It's not about the boat it's about being able to fish big water safely in tournaments and fishing in general here on lake Nipissing.

As for the green tournament idea, I don't think it will have much interest from anyone I know who fishes... especially now with gas under a dollar/litre.

Anyone else have any ideas on how we could "green" tournaments?

Restrict all boats to be 4-stroke maybe...?

Spoken like a true American. Make them proud GCD

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Go green?

Hows this for a start:

Stop removing all the big fish, putting them all in one boat and dropping them all off at one spot in the water.

I know they "drop" the fish at different places during the events but those big fish never have a chance to return where they came from.

Everytime there is a tournament on the tri-lakes (Chemong, Upper Buckhorn and Pigeon) the lakes are a right off and I don't want to be anywhere near it. A very unpleasant experience every time for locals.

Maybe limit the number of entrants per event?

Just my $0.02.

Let the slamming begin :whistling:

That would mean, rising the entry fee to make the winnings worth while. Dont see that happening.Entry fees IMO are already getting out of hand.

I dought anyone will slam you.

Edited by misfish

Go green?

Hows this for a start:

Stop removing all the big fish, putting them all in one boat and dropping them all off at one spot in the water.

I know they "drop" the fish at different places during the events but those big fish never have a chance to return where they came from.

Everytime there is a tournament on the tri-lakes (Chemong, Upper Buckhorn and Pigeon) the lakes are a right off and I don't want to be anywhere near it. A very unpleasant experience every time for locals.

Just my $0.02.

Let the slamming begin :whistling:

Some tournies do have a registration cap on the number of boats.

about 90% of your motors energy is used to push the water out of your way creating the wake. If you have enough motor to lift the boat out of the water all of the energy goes into moving the boat creating little to no wake = more efficient. So we all need bigger motors.

Or you go so slow as to not break your displacement speed which is also more efficient, we could get by with about a 7.5hp . Some of the tourny guys might run 50 miles to get to a fishing spot, so it would take 10 or 12 hours round trip if they don't stop to fish.

I was looking at how the size of boats and motors has increased over the years. I recall walking along Gerogian Bay years ago with my dad (maybe 1961-62) and we were looking at the "large " boats ... large in those days was 60 horsepower. Anyway, I think the whole thing has gotten way out of hand. Do we really need 300HP boats to go fishing - or even 100 for that matter. I am certainly not going to be judge and jury as to what one "needs" but in saying all of this, would it not make sense that as custodians of the great outdoors we rethink what it is we really need to do what we love.

So - that led me to the idea of a green tournament. All participants could bring whatever boat/motor combo they wanted, but they would only get so many gallons of gas/day and when it ran out, they were done. Makes sense to me. Perhaps even limit speed too, except in times of emergency, like getting off the water for bad storm. Perhaps add bonus weight for gas remaining at the end of the tournament.

Anyone else have any ideas on how we could "green" tournaments? I think this needs to be talked about -- I am not going to be amused when the boat that is screaming past me to catch a largemouth bass, in say 2019, has 900 HP and is going 200KPH... and trust me they will if some sanity does not prevail!

I would love to see a totally green tournament how about we get guys like Dave Mercer, Bob Izumi etc. get them some 20 foot rowboats slap some sponsor decals all over them and let them go. I see it as a win win the boys would get some excersize and the earth wins with a little less pollution for a day or two.

I would love to see a "blast off" in row boats I`d pay to see that.

Of course we would have a St.John`s Ambulance boat on hand for any emergency that may arise.

Of course you can say bigger motors are less harmful now than smaller motors were many years ago, but increased boat size equates to bigger motors, which in turn leads to bigger vehicles typically being needed to tow the boats, which is definitely not as efficient. I find it shocking how apathetic the fishing community is towards being eco-friendly in terms of fuel consumption, yet are very concerned about habitat conservation.

Edited by Joeytier

I would love to see a totally green tournament how about we get guys like Dave Mercer, Bob Izumi etc. get them some 20 foot rowboats slap some sponsor decals all over them and let them go. I see it as a win win the boys would get some excersize and the earth wins with a little less pollution for a day or two.

I would love to see a "blast off" in row boats I`d pay to see that.

Of course we would have a St.John`s Ambulance boat on hand for any emergency that may arise

Those guys are athletes.LOL

You know where to find me Matt.. if you can pry yourself away from them female firefighters this summer!

the plan is to stop in and visit sometime this summer! we lost one of them this year to a different job but gained one at the same time! change is good!

On average I run my big engine for an hour-which means that I run my quiet ,green electric for 7 as opposed to you guys who troll all day-I'd like to see some of you trolling Addolphus in November during 30 K winds in Kayaks or rowboats!

You probably use more fuel in that hour than the average fisherman trolling with his 9.9 4 stroke uses in a month or so. Add to that that you are probably on the water more than the average fisherman.

I myself have a 90 4 stroke which most of the time is over kill, I could probably get by with a 9.9 80 percent of the time so I am just as guilty as everbody else when it comes to wasting gas.

This has certainly been an interesting and thought provoking read about an issue that I do feel needs to be discussed. I was gobsmacked last year to see WFN's 'Go Green' month featuring brief blubs in between the usual footage of fast, powerful boats, trailers, and electronics. Seemed a bit contradictory to me to watch a few minutes about Trout Unlimited and then several hours of FLW and such.

Tournaments certainly don't project a green image of the sport. And as anglers, we might want to be concerned about that. Not only is there the environmental cost- what damage might be done by runnin' and gunnin' to habitat and shoreline, for example, and the damage done by the production of fossil fuels- which can affect the future of our fisheries, but there are other concerns as well.

For example, is there a link between the fact that the number of anglers in North America continues to decline every year and the image of fishing as a big toys, loud noise, big bucks sport that is promoted by many fishing programmes and magazines? In other words, fishing is increasing portrayed as a complicated and expensive pastime that isn't in touch with nature all that much. Maybe that's why fewer and fewer people are picking up a rod.

Personally, I like the idea of the float tube tournament, as long as the ambulances are on standby. But what about shore fishing tournies? Why not scatter the competitors along the shore of Lake Simcoe and seeing what they can catch?

Just a few random thoughts.

That link is no longer available...

... but this one is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0vWzH8Dg0

...just come and visit, it's so much easier and less expensive.

We're bigger and on top.

... but!... dammi9t man, y'all are so crowded around the border!!! :rolleyes:

What're tryin' to do?... stay warm?.... or waitin' for the U.S to finally annex you... so you'll have less miles to drive to Florida?

Spoken like a true American. Make them proud GCD :canadian:

I'm tryin' my best Bubba!!! B)

... how do you like the name "New Michigan"??? ;)

Edited by GCD

On average I run my big engine for an hour-which means that I run my quiet ,green electric for 7 as opposed to you guys who troll all day-I'd like to see some of you trolling Addolphus in November during 30 K winds in Kayaks or rowboats!

Mark I think you made a good point you run your motor far less than other fisherman.

BTW I just happen to have a shot of some Bozos trolling in a canoe November 2006 in the Bay of Quinte Adolphus Reach.

Ask Wayne if he remembers these folks?

IMG_0773JPGQuinteBozos.jpg

:asshat::stretcher::asshat::blink:

This is an interesting topic.

There are a number of different schools of thought that arise. The engine size / horsepower debate, in my opinion, is a pretty obvious target to single out againt many other aspects of fishing that are not so 'green'.

For example:

Do we really need Rapala Shad Raps available in 20 different colours?

Do we really need Strike King Spinnerbaits with multiple blade/colour options?

Do we as anglers really need Berkely to make 4 or 5 different types of soft-plastic stick baits?

Realize it or not, but these questions I pose are extremely similar to the engine/hp debate. The amount of resources that goes into creating these elaborate product lines that we all purchase is amazing. The engine size debate is singled out because of the non-renewable resource connection (OIL). However, literally any tackle, sonar device, gps, trolling motor, boat wax, etc, requires non-renewable resources to produce at one capacity or another. Therefore, before you judge someone because of the size of the engine they run or the vehicle they use to tow their boat, take a look at your tackle box or your 'smaller' boat and do the math. Do we need 250hp rangers, probably not, but do we need lead weights from 1/32oz to 1oz in 1/16 oz increments? We definitly do not. But we buy them to help us catch fish and to be the best we can.

Ultimatley, its an industry. Mercury has found a market for their 300hp engines, and as long as they sell they will continue producing them. In my experiance, some of the most active-minded conservationists are the BASS guys who run the 250's and put in 100+ days on the water. They may run their 'overkill' engines, but in the end they are also the ones (amongst others) who put in the time working with communities and wildlife managers to ensure fisheries are kept in quality condition. This might not always be the case, but more often than not is it. Just my opinion. Good Fishing.

-Drew

I am glad that this topic generated some good comments. I am sorry if if I offended some - cetainly not my intention, but I really felt that it was something that needed to be talked about. It certainly gave me a different perspective about some things I had not thought of and that can only be good.

At some point in the not so distant future I'll likely be in the position of upgrading my rig, and to some degree that is what prompted the original post -- what I wanted vs what I needed and what impact that might have now and for the future.

I must admit it is very hard to resist all the bells and whistles. Like many of you, I've worked hard for most of my life and at the end of it you want to feel that you have earned the right to get whatever the h&ll you please ... but that got me thinking about all that that meant.

In the end, I am not sure what the heck I'll do -- I have saved, quite literally, for 25 years for the big toy, but now when it comes to buying it, I am not sure that it really needs to be what I envisioned 25 years ago -- I guess that comes with getting a bit older and maybe less inclined to be swayed by the the creating the illusion of being a decent fisherman vs the reality of being one -- not that they can't co-exist to some degree (but they cetainly don't aways co-exist), but I have done quite well with just the basics. And I am certainly not saying that those with the big toys are not great fisherman/woman ... I suspect (know) many could fish me into oblivion ... but they could likely do that from a 14 tinny too!

I do know that I want a windshield -- the tiller is something I love for the space, but it is darn cool come October! I want something that 3 can fish out of comfortably ... a very basic fish finder, more for depth reading than locating fish ... and something I can take company out for a tour. Beyond that, just give me some maps and I am fine. Going to be a 4 stroke or E-tech, but smaller than I originally envisioned. Likely add a small trolling motor as well.

In any event, I just wanted to kind of explain the genesis of this thread - thanks to those who commented; I am glad to see that it generate some great thought provoking feedback for all to consider.

Edited by musky_man