Superiour Steel

pikeie

Well I have been looking at the steelhead reports from all you guys down south for some time now, wishing I could get out. Problem is Superior is still frozen solid and the water temps to cold.

On the weekend a few of my friends and I decided to go for a drive up the superior shoreline and hit a few rivers. We weren’t expecting too much as the first river we got to still had people ice fishing at the mouth!!

But we started drifting anyways, 10 minutes in I had I pick up on a size 12 gold ribbed hares ear, I got the fish on and when it got to shore I realized it was just a whitefish about 2 lbs, then the hook pulled out lmao... that was it on this river. Got some nice pictures though.

DSCF3448.jpg

So we keep driving and decide to hit the famous Chippewa River lol. It sure is some beautiful water to fish.

DSCF3452.jpg

DSCF3453.jpg

DSCF3454.jpg

DSCF3455.jpg

DSCF3456.jpg

After being there for a while and no fish being hooked by any of the four of us, my friend Wes gets a hit and finally fish on. After a short fight he gets his fish on the bank and unhooked.... I ask him what he got it on and he said wax worms! I have never heard of this but I figure the fish just wanted to see something different.

DSCF3460.jpg

So finally the steelies are starting their spring run, and it can only get better from here on, they better be quick though.... I've only got 17 days till I'm done school and on my way back down south.

Pikeie

hey keep me posted too! lol

i might be out tomarrow, trying to figure out where. might end up goin out for specks in the west end.

but wouldnt mind a nice steelie!!

and is the carp river open yet? buddy of mine said it was still solid in most places

pikeie

we are heading out at 6am and for the first part of the morning we will be ice fishing at the mouth of the carp, i've been told theres 5inches left and its suppose to rain later this week and all the ice will probably be gone by the weekend or early next week. then later in the morning we will be heading to the chip and putting on our waders and try some river fishing. i'll post how it goes! maybe even get some pics!

Edited by pike slayer

me and a few buddies went out at 6am this morning and ice fished the mouth of the carp from 7-10 and missed 3 whitefish and that was it. theres about 5inches of ice and it will probably be gone by the end of the week, the ice is out from the shorelines and doesnt look to safe. We tried the pancake river for a bit and it was a mud river and didnt look to promising. then we went to the chip and there was a few ppl out fishing and we tried a number of different things, spoons, spinners, bottom bouncing spawn and float fishnig spawn, we didnt get anything and either did anyone else there. the river is muddy and gross. i hope within the next week it picks up!

ya my friends said the same, they were there this morning from 7-10:30 with out a hit. the water was really brown they said. were going agian on thursday afternoon, and agian on the weekend.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I've just been sticking downtown.

Have actually been getting fish in the tailrace without even venturing into the rapids. My buds have taken several fish in the last two evenings late on spinning gear even.

Well I have been looking at the steelhead reports from all you guys down south for some time now, wishing I could get out. Problem is Superior is still frozen solid and the water temps to cold.

On the weekend a few of my friends and I decided to go for a drive up the superior shoreline and hit a few rivers. We weren’t expecting too much as the first river we got to still had people ice fishing at the mouth!!

But we started drifting anyways, 10 minutes in I had I pick up on a size 12 gold ribbed hares ear, I got the fish on and when it got to shore I realized it was just a whitefish about 2 lbs, then the hook pulled out lmao... that was it on this river. Got some nice pictures though.

DSCF3448.jpg

So we keep driving and decide to hit the famous Chippewa River lol. It sure is some beautiful water to fish.

After being there for a while and no fish being hooked by any of the four of us, my friend Wes gets a hit and finally fish on. After a short fight he gets his fish on the bank and unhooked.... I ask him what he got it on and he said wax worms! I have never heard of this but I figure the fish just wanted to see something different.

So finally the steelies are starting their spring run, and it can only get better from here on, they better be quick though.... I've only got 17 days till I'm done school and on my way back down south.

Pikeie

Pikeie, go a bit further north in the next week. I used to go for steelies in that area in the middle of April. The Harmony, Batchewana, Pancake, Coldwater, Sand, all the way up to the Old Woman(my favorite in that area) should be good to go within a week.

Pikeie, go a bit further north in the next week. I used to go for steelies in that area in the middle of April. The Harmony, Batchewana, Pancake, Coldwater, Sand, all the way up to the Old Woman(my favorite in that area) should be good to go within a week.

We need a good rain until most of those rivers are fishable. Lots of ice on them still. If the weather man is right about this weekend mid to late next week should be doable.

Nothing but sunshine in the forecast except for a slight chance of rain Saturday and Tuesday next week.

Still early yet. Wer'e having a late thaw this year.

One good thing is the Goulais ice is out so we don't have to be concerned with flooding this year.

I gotta get to the rapids...you guys are giving me the bug

the pancake is one chocolate looking river right now, i seen 2 guys out in a tinny at the mouth of it fishing though, im not sure if they were getting any or what. i think the rivers will be in there prime either this weekend or early next week. i was out past ranger today on mini spike and there was about 2 feet of snow in the bush and only 1 foot of ice, i think if we get that rain this weekend by the middle of the week most of the ice on the inland lakes will be gone or definitly not save to go on if you can even get on the ice cause the shorelines are all melted and theres 5feet of open water. so if you wanna get out ice fishing one last night this weekend is the time to do it then start getting the boat ready.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

soooooon. melting ice on the inland headwaters with a bit of rain and we are in full swing.

has anybody been out east of town?