Lake simcoe ice damage (NF)

tinbanger

Those stong east winds pushed that ice off the west side , but sure made a mess on the east side.

ICEDAMAGE2009097.jpg

My sister in law sent these pics over this morning of the damge done to my inlaws ( cottage next door) water front.

May not be as bad as it looks .

happens about every 7-10 years , the joy of water front living .

TB

Every two or three years we have that problem at the cottage on Balsam, just depends on which way the wind blows.

The good thing about it is we are kinda hoping to take possession of our neighbors dock which he just built two seasons ago when it ends up on our shoreline. LOL

I will likely be building an aluminum dock system in the next little while which can be winched up on a pivot pin at the shore for the winter months to avoid this bi annual headache.

Edited by fishinfool

Every two or three years we have that problem at the cottage on Balsam, just depends on which way the wind blows.

The good thing about it is we are kinda hoping to take possession of our neighbors dock which he just built two seasons ago when it ends up on our shoreline. LOL

I will likely be building an aluminum dock system in the next little while which can be winched up on a pivot pin at the shore for the winter months to avoid this semi annual headache.

Umm,,how is spring breakup a "semi-annual" event

so that's where all our ice went. Hope its not as bad as it looks

Often it settles back down and only requires a few hours of work.

For 40 plus years it was piles driven in by hand ( cedar post) backed up by railway ties :whistling: .

You only had to replace the odd piling every year .

When my father in law bought the place in the 60's he 'reclaimed' about 20' of the waterfront ,stuff you can't do now ( thankfully)

Ice took that out about 10 or so years ago .

its now rip rap with the PT 6x6 in the photo just to hold back the sod.

If it was my call I would opt for a more natural water front and let the ice have its way .

TB