April 1st...no Conficker virus

bigfish1965

same here Rick. My wife called me freaking out a bunch or hours ago so I told her to "stop surfing those sites and all will be ok". Well all is ok here and she's in the USA doing what ever... ;)

on a related note, i need an alternative to AVG. I went back to v7.5 after I found v8.0 to be a resource hog. it would peg CPU utilization at 100% too often, especially at startup, for minutes at a time. unacceptable. problem is, avg is dropping updates for 7.5 mid-april. :(

so what's a good alternative?

I used to have Kaspersky Internet Security, worked great but could not find a good working key and got sick of having to do that every few weeks. Now i have BitDefender and it seems to be working alrite.

What is the purpose of a virus? I mean the ones that steal credit card info or are identity theft based for profit I can almost understand. But the ones that are just intended to cause problems for the corporate world... OK, so your virus just cost corporations around the world 17 billion dollars or whatever... Proud of yourself? Good for you, you just stuck it to the "man" (Bill Gates) real good didn't ya?

Whether it was an April Fool's joke or not, corporations have to take these threats seriously and it costs time which equals big bucks to do so. All of that gets factored in to the prices we pay for just about everything.

I just don't get it.

I guess they help keep people like me employed, but man what a pita.

Edited by charlesn

on a related note, i need an alternative to AVG. I went back to v7.5 after I found v8.0 to be a resource hog. it would peg CPU utilization at 100% too often, especially at startup, for minutes at a time. unacceptable. problem is, avg is dropping updates for 7.5 mid-april. :(

so what's a good alternative?

comodo. I forget what their old name was....but they offer an entire suite

T.J. - is there a free version of eset ?

anybody else know of any free antivirus software that's decent ?

No free version... but im a firm believer in paying for virus software... to me its like putting "free" engine coolant in your car.. lol

im afraid ya get what ya pay for...

T.J. - is there a free version of eset ?

anybody else know of any free antivirus software that's decent ?

Here is one thats alrite, used it and didnt have any problems with it.

http://free.avg.com/

Here is another one, this one you have to register, which is free, and they`ll send you a key thats good for a year.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html