tiller guys I have a question

GeorgeJ

I installed my tiller style Yammy outboard onto my boat today and I know from studying the boating guide it talks about sitting on the starboard side of the boat to operate the motor. My boat has two seats at the back from which the tiller is accessible, to me it feels much more comfortable to sit on the port side of the boat and operate the outboard with my right hand. In fact the the throttle handle and the shifter are all on the front port side of the outboard making it easier to reach from the port side. I'm wondering if I'm braking any kind of rules, a mariner's code or something if I choose to operate my tiller from the port side of the boat?

Sit anyway you want. The tiller is on the port side because most people are right handed. Just remember that the throttle is "backwards" if you sit on the port side. Its hard to keep that straight in your brain when you are controlling from the port side and you run into trouble.

On outboards in the past it was almost a necessity to sit starboard because the gearshift was mounted on the starboard of the engine. They are difficult to reach sitting port and makes for a possible dangerous docking procedure. Also often there isn't enough room in some situations to to turn the engine far enough sitting port, the tiller handle will bump into you.

Edited by Bernie

The original reason why boats were set up with the driver on the starboard side is because the rotation of the prop causes the boat to tilt towards the port side. Having the weight of the driver on the starboard side helps offset this.

If you sit on the port side then both your weight and the rotational force of the prop will be combined instead of offsetting each other. Mondern boat hulls do perform better than the older ones so this may not be a problem for your boat.

Also, as previously mentioned, clearance can be an issue if you are sitting on the same side as the tiller handle.

If the two issues above do not cause a problem and you can get used to operating the throttle from the left side; then picking the side that is more comfortable should not be an issue.

If you sit on the right hand side you may turn right and left with no problems...if you sit on the left and steer with the right arm turning right may become a problem for tight turns... the handle may get in the way by hitting your legs or belly... at least that what happens to me.

RFS :canadian:

The original reason why boats were set up with the driver on the starboard side is because the rotation of the prop causes the boat to tilt towards the port side. Having the weight of the driver on the starboard side helps offset this.

That is true of why the steering is placed on the starboard side of the boat, but the earliest tiller steer rowboat motors had the tiller located either center or on the port side for righthand operators. Since old motors required a lot of adjustments when underway the operator need their "good" hand to make the adjustments while steering with the other.

I tend to agree it was because of the shift lever. My Honda is in the center but I have an older Johnson on my sailboat that has the shift on the starboard side and would be hard to operate from the port. Other than all of the reasons listed in the post I think which ever you can reach and comfortable with is fine. Personally I have a hard time with the throttle steering from the port.

Interesting question...I've always sat on starboard but I'm right handed. My Suzuki has the shifter on the tiller handle so it really wouldn't matter..not sure about clearance to turn though. That being said, my chair is on the starboard side, so with my boat, no choice.

Edited by fishboy

well thanks for all the replies, there is some good information. I've been sitting in the boat making motor noises trying it out sitting on both sides of the boat. I've decided to stay with tradition and till with my left hand, even though making turns to the right will be a bit of a reach, a little handle extension would be nice. I went ahead and mounted my gps, fish finder and switch panel all within reach of my right hand.

boat_helm2.JPG

nice set up...just a question for you though. What made you decide to mount the electronics where you did, rather than right across form you on the starboard side. I know personally with the location there i would be turning too much, rather than mounting on the opposite side? Just curious...no offence if taken.

Thanks

nice set up...just a question for you though. What made you decide to mount the electronics where you did, rather than right across form you on the starboard side. I know personally with the location there i would be turning too much, rather than mounting on the opposite side? Just curious...no offence if taken.

Thanks

No offense at all to worry about, I agonized for days and weeks on what to put where but that is the starboard side, I think maybe you meant across from me which would have been the port side in this case. Simply the reach was too far having everything on the opposite side I am tilling from, if I remember the beam is 70" and I would have had to stand to reach control buttons and the screens were too far away to see. The seat swivels and that will help, a bit of a tiller extension would have me sitting facing almost forward, who knows when I actually get out on the water I may have to move things around.

I was thinking the same thing. When you till w/ your left hand, you will be facing the port side of the boat most of the time. At least that's where I have my graph on my tiller. If it works for you though, that's all that matters.

I have mine mounted in a similar spot to George. I don't know about you guys but when I'm driving I tend to look forward, in the direction my boat is going, so I just have to glance down at my graph with my eyes, no need to turn my head sideways to look at it... :huh: I wouldn't want to run into something wile looking at my graph?

From my understanding, sitting on the starboard side gives the motor a wider range of motion without interfering with your body. I don't know about a 'code' but this is what was recommended to me when starting out and it makes a lot of sense.

I definitely look forward but my body is facing the port side of the boat. I just turn my head to glance at the graph when driving. When I'm fishing I'm facing and fishing over the port side staring (fixated, lol) down at my graph. Sounds like its a case of different strokes for different folks....although now that I think of it, big tillers come pre-equiped with a spot for mounting the graph on the port side.

Here's my rig last summer.

DSC_4315.JPG

I definitely look forward but my body is facing the port side of the boat. I just turn my head to glance at the graph when driving. When I'm fishing I'm facing and fishing over the port side staring (fixated, lol) down at my graph. Sounds like its a case of different strokes for different folks....although now that I think of it, big tillers come pre-equiped with a spot for mounting the graph on the port side.

Here's my rig last summer.

DSC_4315.JPG

Right on brother... Looks like a sweet setup to me! I mostly fish from the bow of my boat, so I use the graph up front for fishing, and the one at the back is pretty much only for getting from spot to spot. Just an FYI I wasn't purposely trying to sound sarcastic. ;)

Cheers,

UF

Ps. Nice hookset! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by The Urban Fisherman