Dog owners...(NF)

bigfish1965

I have been using Eukanuba for years, but the price has gone up 50% in the last six months... $70 a bag now!! crazy..

I have spend a few days researching dog food and keep coming back to one that I am VERY surprised with that is rather inexpensive too.

The Kirkland (Costco) dry dog foods scored in the top five in many studies and top ten in nearly all of them, yet it sells at less than half the price of the big name premium stuff...

Does anyone use it and what is your experience with it?

Can't help you Rick, the nearest Costco is 1,500kms away from me.

My pup gets Science Diet Large Breed. It's good for my guy, but spendy also.

We really get dinged on stuff in the far north. I don't know what a large bag of it is going for in Ontario but up here it's about $80 a bag!!!!! :w00t:

I hope my dang dog knows what I do for him.........................rotten bugger!!!! :lol:

last year a friend of mine and i were surfin on the web bout dog foods....and whoa what we learned bout the industry and all the garbage that went in those bags.......well we did a little research and he started to cook his own food.....the coulor and look of his coat changed so much better for the good it was incredible.....

he says he will never buy another bag of dog food again.......

just a little food for thought....

good luck

I fed my last Rottie anything and blamed myself when she got sick and well passed shortly after,not something I like talking about,I spoiled her and gave her all kinds of crap she shouldent of had incl the Wall Mart/Costco Pedigree crap food ,my New Rottie gets the best the vet has ,like ya say Rick its 80-90.00 @ bag,bag lasts a few months thou ,I only want the best I can give my pup will never give her that generic no nutritan crap ever again,my new Rottie is now 20 months and just Muscle and very fit and energenetic,I would stay with what ya know my 5 cents

Thats the thing..when I looked at the Kirkland stuff, it scored higher than Eukanuba for nutrition...

I think the site was dogfoodchat.com or something like that which had the most concise reviews of dog foods.

There's always Innova and timberwolf but that stuff is pushing $100 a bag.

Jack will be on meds for life that cost me $100 a month already (Medicam).

Just look at the ingredients. They list the ingredients in order or quantity, so there is more of the first ingredient then the second etc. You want to try to stay away from corn or any other corn variations especially as a top ten ingredient. Just think of how our stomachs digest corn, not very good, same as a dog.

I feed my pup Nutro Natural Choice Chicken meal, rice and oatmeal formula. It's about 30-40 bucks for 8kgs up here in North Bay at Pet Valu so it's pricey but my pup likes it. I'm sure you could find it cheaper in the city though. I found that when he was eating the Dog Chow from purina (corn was the top ingredient on this food) he would have the sh!ts really bad and take forever to crap but with this food he is relatively normal.

Alot depends on the animal to be sure.My buds Rhodesion gets the runs if he looks at any food other than Vet med stuff.Both of my dogs and my brothers dogs follow the chickens around like they were doggy vending machines,scooping up c-poop like it was kibbles.I did the IAMS stuff and a few others but I use the TSC high protien stuff for now...untill I actually read get off my lazy butt and read up on this.I will say that Rick will not steer you wrong about dogs.He loves his dogs more than he hates conservatives.I will say I love my dogs more than I hate most liberals...cept for my wife.

Joe

There a a few libs I can share a beer or two with..and maybe fish with..

yeah, my vet told me to try and stay away from the corn because my pup has a sensitive stomach and he seems happier with the new food too so it's a win win. Might be 20 bucks more than the cheap stuff but it's worth it in the end. I guess you get what you pay for. Kind of like human food, I'd love to eat t-bones and prime rib everyday but can't afford it, but in the same way you can't eat TV dinners everyday and expect to be healthy.

Don't know if you have seen this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/, lots of good info there....

Most of the big advertised foods are total junk (star ratings from the link above): Science Diet (1 star), Eukanuba (1 star), Iams (1 star), Pedigree (1 star), etc....

I did a lot of research on what to feed my boxer and ones that I have used include Canidae (5 star), Wellness (5 star), and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (4 star).

I have been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice, or Lamb and Rice for a couple years now and am really happy with the balance of the ingredient list and cost point. It is rated a 3 star food. It is produced by Diamond Pet foods (http://www.diamondpet.com/), the same manufacturer of Chicken Soup. The ingredients are very similar to Chicken Soup as well, but it is a lot cheaper.

The price has gone up drastically in the last couple months, it used to be around $23 for a 40lb bag, but it is still a great deal.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Don't know if you have seen this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/, lots of good info there....

Most of the big advertised foods are total junk: Science Diet, Eukanuba, Iams, Pedigree, etc....

I did a lot of research on what to feed my boxer and ones that I have used include Canidae, Wellness, and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

I have been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice, or Lamb and Rice for a couple years now and am really happy with the balance of the ingredient list and cost point. It is produced by Diamond Pet foods (http://www.diamondpet.com/), the same manufacturer of Chicken Soup. The ingredients are very similar to Chicken Soup as well, but it is a lot cheaper.

The price has gone up drastically in the last couple months, it used to be around $23 for a 40lb bag, but it is still a great deal.

Burt :)

Thanks for the info. I just read my ingredients on my Eukanuba....rather dissapointed.

But I am encouraged by your success. One of the sites i came across in my studies was a boxer club site and the members were rather enthusiastic about the exact version you mention. That will likely be my choice. I MAY top off some extra glucosamine since there is a bit less in the Kirkland.

We've tried all kinds of expensive stuff for our husky just because we love him and want the best for him. This obstinate character turns up his nose at them all. The only dry food he'll touch is the generic stuff from No Frills. He won't eat canned dog food either but let him see a piece of meat I cook for us (especially liver) and he goes berserk. I buy good cuts for us so he gets some of it. He's 10 years old, healthy and frisky as a puppy and not the least bit overweight. I guess I'll continue to give him what he wants.

My little dogs get the no name stuff. The vet says its not bad, and better than some big names. No big dint in the wallet. Safe veggies are added to the kibble (no onions and garlic) occasionaly.

They also get fish twice a week.

Rick, I rescued my dog from the Barrie SPCA,they feed all the dogs and cats products from Nutram. Nutram is owed by Maple Lodge Farms and they use human grade chicken and lamb in their products. I spend roughly 60.00 a month on food and I ma feeding a 93lbs Malamute. You can get this type of food at Pet Value stores or Global ryan pet stores.

Ken