getting it ready

Radnine

This no doubt gets covered every year, but for the new people to boat ownership what is required to get it back into the water?

I removed the batteries and put them in a warm place all winter. Will they need re-charging before use? If so, will the on-board charger suffice for the cranking and deep cycle batteries?

What about any anti-freeze that was put into the live well or bilge, will it need to be drained outside of a body of water or can you just run lake water through the system to flush it (is the anti-freeze biodegradable?)?

And the fogged motor and stabilized fuel, do you just turn the key and go (can you believe I aced the boater card test? ;) )?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Edited by Radnine

I'm thinking the same thing.... i would like to do it myself this year instead of gettin dinged for $350.00. it can't be that difficult is it? i have the muffs what else do i need to get her goin?

peps

I'm thinking the same thing.... i would like to do it myself this year instead of gettin dinged for $350.00. it can't be that difficult is it? i have the muffs what else do i need to get her goin?

peps

$350, are you serious? That's robbery!. There was a similar thread about 2-3 weeks ago that covered it all.

Radnine you can charge the batteries onboard,you should trickle charge them over the winter even when in doors as they will discharge.You should you RV bio-degradable anti-freeze but if you didn't run some fresh water through the lines in the drive way to wash it out and dilute it.As for fogging just drop it in the water (don't do this with people close by) and warm it up at a fast idle,fogging will burn off and away you go.Grease all fittings and give everything the once over before heading too the water.

Radnine you can charge the batteries onboard,you should trickle charge them over the winter even when in doors as they will discharge.You should you RV bio-degradable anti-freeze but if you didn't run some fresh water through the lines in the drive way to wash it out and dilute it.As for fogging just drop it in the water (don't do this with people close by) and warm it up at a fast idle,fogging will burn off and away you go.Grease all fittings and give everything the once over before heading too the water.

Mucho appreciatto, hirk.

Jim

this is also my first spring "de-winterizing" ...

I'm probably going to change the plugs / lower unit oil and possibly repack/grease the trailer bearings. Just saw some great tutorials on the net that teach me how to do it, doesn't seem to take very long and it's cheap insurance.

Victor, get yourself some bearing buddies if you don't already have them. We've been running the same set of bearings on the trailer forever without issue. Also, I don't think you need to swap plugs just to swap plugs. Take them out, have a look and if they are in decent shape, them them in there..

We change the gear oil at the end of each season, one less thing to do during the spring :)

I do my own spring thing on my 20 hp merc but for my opti 150 I take it to the dealer to check the lower unit oil and fire it up for the first time .

My insurance on the boat and motor stipulates that I must have it properly winterized by a dealer in order to maintain my policy.

$350.00 to float the boat? Dang.

All I did was had mine pulled out of storage. Took the cover off and turned the key. I had to do absolutely nothing. Boy do I love my E-tec! :angel:

I wish i had a Engine that winterized itself :(. LOL yea i can't wait to unwrap my boat it's gonna be like a Christmas Present. Anyone got dates on there unveiling of their toys.??

I wish i had a Engine that winterized itself :(. LOL yea i can't wait to unwrap my boat it's gonna be like a Christmas Present. Anyone got dates on there unveiling of their toys.??

Last Sunday! Cleaned her up real nice

\

It doesn't. It's just a marketing gamble. I'd still be dumping the lower unit every fall. You get to live with it after the warrantee expires..

hmmmmmm plugs within 50-hrs ,water in gearcase first season,wouldent shut off second season with the key I guess thats a good thing better than not starting,kiss your mechanic good bye is a major understatement on these engines never again

peps

what kind of boat/engine are we talking about here 350 dont go far when labours hitting 100/hr at some marinas