Heads up - Terrible accident in Cobourg

Joey

Here's an article from CP24

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_7425.aspx

Sounds absolutely horrible!!!!

========================================================

Five Die As Killer Pile-Up Closes 401

Thursday February 1, 2007

Five people are dead and police, air ambulance and fire officials are all on the scene of a terrible accident that has completely closed Highway 401 between two Ontario cities.

The roadway is shut down both ways between Cobourg and Grafton, after a pile-up involving at least 15 cars that also left a tractor-trailer in flames.

There were a number of injuries reported earlier, but it's not clear if the death toll includes those who were rushed to Northumberland Hills Hospital in Cobourg.

That facility has been put in what one spokesperson calls "emergency mode." Extra staff have been called in to help with the sudden crunch.

It's unknown how the accident took place in the eastbound lanes of the highway near Grafton around 12:30pm Thursday, but the O.P.P. confirms there was a heavy snowstorm and possible whiteout conditions at the time of the chain reaction crash.

Firefighters are using foam to try and douse the flames from the burning tanker. It's not clear what it was carrying but officials aren't taking any chances.

At least one other truck was also involved in the crash, but it remains intact.

Rescue efforts are underway and the snow has stopped for now.

Motorists heading in that direction are being warned to find an alternate route, since the highway may be shut down for hours and even into Friday morning.

No problem with me Roy but I can see the 401 from my house and it is completly shut down. Thanks for your concern. I have lived here for 14 years and there have been dozens of accidents on that stretch of the 401. I dont know why because its a good section of hyway.

Edited by Eddyk

Yeah, thiings aren't looking too good on the 401 right now. I haven't spoken to anyone yet but heard it will be closed until 7 Am at minimum.

They called in additional satff at the Hospital, Air Ambulance could land at the scene becasue of weather conditions. I went out to the barn to feed our horse and drove on the overpass near the accident, all flames are out now but surely will take a long time to do the investigation and road repairs.

Anyone heading this way, your best to take hwy 28 North exit in Port Hope and head East on Dale Road (106), North on 45, East on Centerton Rd, then head South on Aird St. This is a longer way to travel but I can gaurantee it will be quicker than taking the #2 through Cobourg to Grafton.

.....Time , Midnight. The BN (broadcast news) is reporting only two confirmed fatalities at this time. Reports have it as high as five but that is still unconfirmed. I hate hearing about these things as many peoples lives have just been thrown into turmoil, terrible. My ex and my three darlings will be heading through there early tomorrow morning on there way to Ottawa for winterlude.

NASTY

We drive that route everyday from north of Trenton to Ajax/Pickering area and Charmaine an I were on our ways back home at about 3:30pm. I had an alternate route planned trying highway #9 but a friend called telling me it was bumper to bumper for miles so we attempted the 115/35 north to Peterboro, then eastalong 7 to Marmora which we could turn south on to home.......it would have taken us about 3 hours.....got as far as Orono and it was whiteout cons.

Gave the folks a call and they let us stay with them last night in Pickering..........just wasnt worth the chance on those roads..folks were still driving like maniacs...I wasnt worried about my driving, just getting hit by an idiot driving to fast.

Last saturday.I was hit from behind at Oshawa sending my truck into the ditch by another driver who didnt/couldnt stop...just gunned it and made it back onto the shoulder of the road from out of the ditch. Geeeeze, no steering...........tore out all my under carriage. New rack, arms and springs and 2 universal joints. $2600 and I just got the truck back the day before yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon and night marks the first time the twins (12yrs old), psent the night without either parent........the fridge was full and they had heat and their playstations.....I know they did OK.

People , when are they going to learn to slow it down in this weather.

Well, going to have one of mom's breakfeasts...head o out to work and hopefully the highway reopens by early afternnon..........I hear he east bound lanes will be closed until at least noon today.

Take special care out there folks......special.

Edited by brickNblock

The 401 East Bound id open now. Traffic is moving through. WEST bound they seem to be diverting traffic to HWY 7. At the moment, traffic is backed up to HWY 45 only. Burnham St. exit is moving fine. You can get back on the 401 in Grafton, no traffic back up to there as of yet.

I think you have it backwards Ron...the news just said Eastbound is still closed. They were hoping to have it open by 2pm, but the engineers are still finding more damage so it might take longer to open them. Cars were turned around and therefore able to get off the highway, but there are several rigs still stuck there as they aren't able to turn around.

What a mess.

Maureen