Warranty Cards

GeorgeJ

Outfitting my jon boat has resulted in a pile of receipts and also a few warranty cards to be filled out and sent in. The Minn Kota trolling motor has a 3 year warranty some of the other stuff a couple of years coverage so I'm not much for paper work but if it means no warranty coverage resulting from not sending the warranty cards in I will take the time to do it, so what has been your past experiences when it comes to warranty claims do you find just showing up with the receipt is good enough?

I send them all in. You can register online on almost everything now tho, so that's how I usually do it.

Joey

Me too, if they do not have a website that you can register then the warranty card is just more paper and chances are does not mean anything..

Unless they are using it too flood you with junk mail

Before I send in any warranty card or registration for any item, I scan the completed card (both sides) and scan my reciepts. I store these on my computer. If an issue comes up I can fax from my computer to them via phone line and that usually solves any problems. The original documents are put into a large zip lock bag (keep everything together and then stored in my filing cabinet. Check for on line registration but some require the registration card anyway (some sort of number on it). Then I mail in the cards. If there is a problem later, I have copies of everything and I find that if I provide a pile of information to whoever is dealing with it I get a lot less hassle from them. I can print out my scanned copies and fax / mail them in. I am amazed with even large companies how often the paper work is lost. I'll just sent them another copy.

I've only had a few battles with warranties and by quoting the terms (from copy of the documentation) and sending in copies of documents, I heve been very satisfied with the results.

I do this for all my stuff-- tools, computers, fishing, bikes, cars, appliances, etc. I'll buy some things because they have a good warranty.

Justa bit about computer warranties. If you bought a computer system already put together, it probably has a 1 year warranty that comes with it. Be aware that certain components inside like hard drives are warranteed by the manufacturer for 3 to 5 years and RAM may have a lifetime waranty. Some of these items only require a serial number to check of it is still under warranty on the company web site. Check all the fine print and you can save a pile of cash.

muddler

almost never ... ok .. never ... unless the mrs. gets a hold of it ;)

Personally, I am not a big 'warranty' user ... I tend to try to buy good stuff .. that tends to last .. and it tends to break mostly because I did something stupid ... so while I appreciate a good warranty .. I have found most reputable dealers will help you out with or without a card or a receipt ....

There's so many other things to sweat over ... and I just hate the paperwork :)

To me the actual warrantee card is alot like a well written contract ... if you actually ever have to refer back to it ... you're in trouble .. but glad you have it .... I file em and hope never to see them again ...

Edited by camillj