New proposed fishing regulations for 2010

Ron

Hey fellow fisherpeople.

I can't tell you everything but some information I can pass on. I have sat on the FMZ 17 Advisory Council for over 2 years. This FMZ covers all of the Trent Severn Waterway from Lock 1 in Trenton up to but not including Lake Simcoe. This also covers Crowe Lake, Round Lake and a few others I neglect to remember.

We have been working with the MNR along with other stake holders on trying to refine the regulations to ensure there is a fishery for future generations. In the same token we have been working on additional ideas for more angling opportunities within FMZ 17.

In the very near future there will be more information available about this advisory council and also some links to information and a survey we strongly suggest anyone who fishes in the Kawarthas to seriously take a look at and ensue your voice is heard.

You have to remember, people seem to fill out surveys if they have complaints more than people who are happy with the existing. We have seen it here more often than not if you want examples. Someone has a beef with customer service you hear about the dissatisfaction first then you hear about all the good a retailer has done for other people afterwards.

I hope we can break that streak. By taking a few minutes of your time to fill out the survey, we can make sure that the majority of people are heard.

I hope to receive the links to this information early next week. and will be sure to post them on this thread. Please check back often.

With out passing off confidential information, I can ask you this.

Do you like Ice Fishing on Lake Scugog?

Do you enjoy a nice feed of 2 lb Walleye?

Just how long do you feel like cleaning Crappie?

Do you like fishing for Muskie late in the season?

This has been a lot of work and hope by having members of this forum fill out the survey, the majority gets heard.

Cheers, Ron...

good job man,you would be surprizes how much angler input helps the MNR decide some factors attributing to the regs...I am involved in a walleye stocking program every spring with the MNR and as a direct result a couple people I know helped change the regs on "inland" pike fishing around here to help lessen the impact on the walleye spawn since pike was open at the same time as walleye closure in the same areas and spawning gorunds...it was then decided that pike would be closed at the same time as walleye for FMZ 16 when the 2008 regs came out :Gonefishing:

Maybe just a diff Council for Simcoe Brian. Contact MNR and find out about it.

MNR was always lacking a social scientist. They were kinda forced to get a PHD fella helping out a while ago, but the survey you speak of Ron could be less biased with proper exprertise behind it.

Recall once where MNR 'expert witnesses' made fools outta themselves at an EA Hearing since they had zero social-science expertise. Genaeral rule of surveys is keep it short, in language respondents can easily understand, no leading questions or comments, secure drop-off method to prevent tampering, ensure the survey-delivery method 'catches' a broad even spectrum of respondents, and give a token of appreciation for their time filling it out in order to ensure surveys are actually done.

I'd probably hand em out at licence-issuers and give folks a few $ rebate if they take a few minutes to immediately fill out/submit their survey. Also leave a 'comments' section at the back for complaints.

Many ways to skin a cat and the above isn't perfect, but after a few minutes thinking while typing while sipping wine after some deep-fried whitefish, it's easy to see how MNR could improve its surveys.

All the best Ron! Look forward to some perchin' soon!

The materials have officially been posted to the Environmental Registry – http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/. Search for Registry posting number 010-5587. The consultation period will close on May 19, 2009.

The supporting materials will be posted to the website very soon, but it may take up to 12 hours. A news release is planned for tomorrow. The website is http://www.ontario.ca/zonecouncils - click on FMZ 17. The survey can be accessed via the MNR website, or directly via http://www.FMZ17survey.ca. I’d encourage folks to access some of the information on the main website prior to completing the survey.