Why You Don't Share Your Auger

xeon

Alright, heres my story...

Thought I'd be a nice guy and take my roommate icefishing, started drilling holes in the ice and I handed him the auger to drill his. I see him take the auger and use it as a cane, so I yelled at him a bit and told him that doing thats going to mess up the blades, so I get an Ok didnt know wont happen again. Then after drilling his hole, he tries to stand the auger up in the same way you would with a shovel, by sticking the blade in the ground. Well theres 5'' of powder on the ice, and i saw what he was trying to do, so I yelled at him again, got the same thing from him. So we move a bit, time to drill my hole. I put the blade down, start turning, and the head is dancing all over the ice, so I figured it didnt have much grip, so i kept twisting, then it finnally went in. Took about 2mins to drill a hole with a 6'' auger through 18'' of ice. I knew by then something was terribly wrong. Pull up the auger and take a look, I drilled that hole using 1 and a half blades. By this time im pretty ticked, but I didnt see him break the blade 100% so im only going to say he broke it, not tell him to buy me some blades. His luckey day I guess.

Anyways, does anyone know where to buy 6'' strikemaster mora blades in Sault Ste Marie? Or if anyone has 6'' blades that they dont use, ill send money via paypal. Im going to try Canadian tire tommorow, but I think Ill have to end up buying a new auger all together. I figure if the blades are 30CAN and shipping is 10CAN, new auger from canadian tire is about the same. And I can get that fancy chartuse one Ive always had my eye on.

Geeze Dawg......you never cease to amaze me with your wisdom!

The two man manual auger is the only way to go for newbies. I do the holding, they do "most" of the turning :)

I don't let anyone touch my auger......ever.

Sinker

Geeze Dawg......you never cease to amaze me with your wisdom!

The two man manual auger is the only way to go for newbies. I do the holding, they do "most" of the turning :)

I don't let anyone touch my auger......ever.

Sinker

I let Ol' Yeller touch my auger... but only after she has begged for it! :w00t:

crappy tire usually has them and they are $21.99, i know they are putting out all the summer stuff and putting the ice fishing stuff in the back you may have to ask an employee to get them for you. im pretty sure that western has them year round on the shelf but i believe they are a couple bucks more around $25.99. the trading post should have them to. they are a very common auger. last year my buddy was drills a hole and he hands me the auger and i look and theres only one blade on it!! so i tried it and it worked fine, just take the busted blade off and use the one blade for the rest of the year. also he could have bent the auger putting a different angle on it and you may have to shim it to work properly again. if your looking for another auger i got a 10inch folding hand auger for cheap with 2 sets of blades and thats right i said 10inch folding hand auger!!

Nothing like chipped blades, sheared pins and lost blades :wallbash: It's happened a few times.

Also note that the hex bolts for the Swedebore are soft metal and will strip or shear off easily. Especially when someone gets an auger stuck in the ice and tries to force it out.

crappy tire usually has them and they are $21.99, i know they are putting out all the summer stuff and putting the ice fishing stuff in the back you may have to ask an employee to get them for you. im pretty sure that western has them year round on the shelf but i believe they are a couple bucks more around $25.99. the trading post should have them to. they are a very common auger. last year my buddy was drills a hole and he hands me the auger and i look and theres only one blade on it!! so i tried it and it worked fine, just take the busted blade off and use the one blade for the rest of the year. also he could have bent the auger putting a different angle on it and you may have to shim it to work properly again. if your looking for another auger i got a 10inch folding hand auger for cheap with 2 sets of blades and thats right i said 10inch folding hand auger!!

Thanks for the help, I was at the trading post earlier in the week and all they had were the fin and sweed bore blades. Ill have to try western auto though, if anyone has them they probably would.

I'll actually ask my friend if he still needs a big auger, I know he was looking for one in the early season. 10 is just too big for what im catching, I was actually thinking of downsizing to a 4''... ya that bad.

the 10" folding is awesome for strapping on the sled and breaking trail up into some hard to get to remote lake going for big pike or lakers. but it'll certainly give you a work out. i'll give up the auger for the right price, they havent been made since the early 90s. i was thinking of getting a 8" for an everything auger.

Nothing like chipped blades, sheared pins and lost blades :wallbash: It's happened a few times.

Also note that the hex bolts for the Swedebore are soft metal and will strip or shear off easily. Especially when someone gets an auger stuck in the ice and tries to force it out.

Those new bolts for the swede bores are crap!!!! I've broke 2 sets already this season. I used my hand auger twice, both times with brand new blades, and both times the friggen bolts broke on me!!!! What a piss off!! The last time I lost one of the blades down the hole......dammit!!! Not impressed at all.......the old style bolts were much better.

Sinker