My very First Pike!

Hi Guys and Gals,

After trying for almost 2 years finally I got my fist pike! It all started about 2 springs ago (I think), I was searching the net for Piking techniques and I came about this board. I read the thread from “Snag” about his adventures with urban piking… I was hooked!

I became a member of this board that day. I have to be honest, my intentions were to quickly learn the methods, tricks, tips and score some nice pike grounds to start my adventure :whistling: . BUT, what was a quick pass by through this board lured me deep into it and made me different person. I realized, how hard these anglers in this board tried to hike and scout out their own locations (well most of you anyways) and how passionate they were about fishing.

I stayed, and I learned, I read many topics and when ever I had something to contribute I did. So I took on a new spirit, and a new challenge to seek and find my own spots and my own methods while incorporating what this board had to offer me. I am greatly thankful to all the members specially Snag (I am a big fan :clapping: ).

When the day came last week, I gathered my rod, various xraps, husky jerks and some spoons and headed out to the one spot I knew which will produce my first ever Pike. Over the past 2 years, I have scouted many locations and this was my favorite. So I arrived there around 10:30 am. The sun was out but it was somewhat cold, I parked the car and immediately ran to the waterside to check weather it was frozen. It was!! All but some, a small strip size of a tennis court length. I was disappointed :wallbash: , but did not give up, after praying to the gods I started to cast!.

After about 20 minutes, I hooked pretty well into a log while I was retrieving!!! I took a deep breath and started to reel in the log (I did not want to loose a $10 Xrap). When I got it almost to the shore, the darn log just slowly moved to the opposite direction!!! I froze… it was a PIKE!! And there in that very moment, I realized, I’ve finally done it! Of course I was alone and scared to death unhooking the monster quickly to release and realizing after releasing that I forgot to take a picture!!!

Fear not my friends, since that day I have gone back 4 times and I have caught 3 or more on each trip. Here are some worthy picts. My hands stop shaking after while and I was able to take some good pictures. Finally, I like to thank all the members who have been helpful and encouraged me not to give up. And a special thanks to Snag :worthy:

P.S. No pike or fingers were harmed! lol

DSC00092s.jpg

DSC00094s.jpg

DSC00095s.jpg

Edited by Anton

AHH ! There you are Anton! Congratulations!

hehe, that last picture on the right, I AM PROUD that i took it!

Thanks for all of the tips again today!

Hope to see you again before pike closes in march 31!

Awesome stuff Anton!! I'm still in search of the illusive ESOX LUCIUS!! I too joined recently...and also found a lot of tips/techniques on catching a pike. I CAN'T WAIT 'TILL IT HAPPENS!! I'll be definitely posting a report once that happens! :D Whooooooooo!! Reading all these reports on peeps catching Pike is getting me all excited....I hopefully will hook into one!

Anton, I love the epic posts from Moosebunk, solopaddler, DanC, Irishfield, joey, Justin, and the rest, but your report was one of the most satisfying I've seen on this board, just fabulous. Somehow you captured the essence of fishing in your post, and said things we all feel are important. And you found success! Congratulations, your efforts paid off.

Stay away from Snag, tho, that chile is strange.

Anton, I love the epic posts from Moosebunk, solopaddler, DanC, Irishfield, joey, Justin, and the rest, but your report was one of the most satisfying I've seen on this board, just fabulous. Somehow you captured the essence of fishing in your post, and said things we all feel are important. And you found success! Congratulations, your efforts paid off.

Stay away from Snag, tho, that chile is strange.

Thanks douG :) it took me a while to remember exactly what happned on that day! it was a huge rush, as much as I tried to remember how it happned.. i kept drawing blanks, it took 2-3 days for my brain to digest :) I am glad you enjoyed it, thanks agian :)

Awesome stuff Anton!! I'm still in search of the illusive ESOX LUCIUS!! I too joined recently...and also found a lot of tips/techniques on catching a pike. I CAN'T WAIT 'TILL IT HAPPENS!! I'll be definitely posting a report once that happens! :D Whooooooooo!! Reading all these reports on peeps catching Pike is getting me all excited....I hopefully will hook into one!

Hi Addikted2Fishin, All I have to say is... be patient and just keep trying.. trust me.. when that moment arrives.. you will forget how long you have waited :)

Hi Addikted2Fishin, All I have to say is... be patient and just keep trying.. trust me.. when that moment arrives.. you will forget how long you have waited :)

hehe, this is going to be my 1st season attempt at catching them, hopefully it won't be long of a wait! ;) Hopefully I'm gonna be able to head out with one of the

guys from here (l2p) - haha, but i'll keep that in mind! LOL!!

What a fantastic post Anton. You have beautifully conveyed what fishing is all about: excitement, camaraderie, and most of all, enjoyment! What else but fishing can make grown men act like kids on Christmas morning.

I am thrilled that your research has paid off in some fine catches.

Jim

Congratulations on your first big Pike Anton!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

When you get the catching and picture taking down pat, you can try taking some tourney pics with that nice logo you designed for our team! ;)

I can help you with the photobucket thing if you would like to post bigger pics.

The softwater fishing is only going to get better from here on out!!! :Gonefishing: