Fixing a dinged up hull???

brkygetr

I just bought a insurance right off. 2008 17.5 ft Crestliner Fishhawk tiller. Got a rediculously good deal on it, simply couldn't pass it up.

Boat fell off a trailer and went for a ride down the road. Has a few good dings in the front hull, one each side, below the water line, one on the rear starboard side(above the water line, but not on the decals) and some decent scratches and one ding on the bottom.

Floor and interior was removed but all the framework is still there.

Measured everything from all points possible and it is not twisted.

My plan is to replace the floor, knock the dings out, touch it up and flip it.

Has anyone under-taken such a project, anything I should look out for?????

I will post pics tommorrow when the sun is shinin'....

Boatbefore018.jpg

Boatbefore002.jpg

Boatbefore008.jpg

Boatbefore010.jpg

Boatbefore005.jpg

Boatbefore014.jpg

Edited by brkygetr

I know of a guy in hagarsville that repairs aluminum boat damage if you want his # just pm me

Thats a wee far away Sonny... thanks anyway. I plan on doing this myself and have access to most tools I will need.

since your in fort frances, there has to be someone who works on plane floats. here in red lake, I took a couple of boats to our local seaplane base to re do all my loose rivets. since yours is a cresliner it is probably all welded ,right?

the folks who work on floats may be very familiar with taking dings out of aluminum. check them out

hey folks....

Yes it is a solid welded hull, no rivets.

Yes I am going to sell it.

There are no 'apperent' leaks, ie: visually inspected it and can not find a broken weld or rip. All the dings except for one are not on a seem.

Goona try to get pics today but unfortunaetly it is raining :wallbash::wallbash: right now but hopefully it clears up this afternnon.

im no expert but thats not gonna be an easy task,I bought a CHEAP Boston Whaler a few yrs back that had a hole in yet thought hey easy fix LOST my shirt,that buckle looks bad dont know about bending it back out may crease it leaving it weak ,ask Irishfield he will know

That won't buff right out ! Too bad alum won't shrink like steel does by heating and throwing wet rags on it.

I know how I'd be fixing it.. as I don't like welds on thin aluminum....but that would be the quick way if you have the ability to weld it. Otherwise I'd be cutting out the bad areas and riveting in patches.

It's also might amaze you on how much of that may just go back into shape with some hammer/mallet work. I'd start at that mangled keel strip and try to get it close to straight..then try working the hull sheets. Get something heavy and hard up against the hull and work it from the inside with a big rubber or better yet wood mallet. You may get it close enough.. add some reinforce strips above the hull sheet and then alumimum filler and paint. That side panel is gonna be a ----- though... but if you hit the right spot first, you never know!

Tough looking project.. Good Luck

No matter how good it looks when your done I would hope that you are up front with the prospective buyer and tell him what the hull has been through. Maybe show him the before and after pictures and tell him about any of the things that may have given you troubles bringing them back to life. I would be worried that the stuctural integrity has been compromised

Your a better man than me for even attempting this, obviously mechanically inclined.

Tom.

It's also might amaze you on how much of that may just go back into shape with some hammer/mallet work. I'd start at that mangled keel strip and try to get it close to straight..then try working the hull sheets. Get something heavy and hard up against the hull and work it from the inside with a big rubber or better yet wood mallet. You may get it close enough.. add some reinforce strips above the hull sheet and then alumimum filler and paint. That side panel is gonna be a ----- though... but if you hit the right spot first, you never know!

Basically that is the plan. The dude I bought it from has a hydraulic jack (basically a bottle jack with a convex adjustable base) that is made for taking out dents in boats and such. Just a matter of bracing the cylindar against something (probably a chain from end to end). That and a bit of mallet work and I should have it. i think the keel is gonna get pressed out, like you said, and then gonna get someone to professionally weld an entire strip down the keel. It did after all go for a ride down ashphalt!

This doesn't have to turn out perfect just needs to handle and not drift when under load. The interior is no prob. I will have access to a Yamaha (actually gonna test the motor :whistling::whistling: ) that I am gonna give it a test run with BEFORE the floor is complete and sealed up just incase I need to adjust or tinker a little more.

And then she goes on the auction block, so to speak.

here is a silly question in regards to your post....just a question so please don't try and take anything the worng way :Gonefishing:

You stated this is an insurance write-off...if so, is it even legal to sell such a thing again?..just wondering, be it a car,truck,boat whatever, just curious because it was already written off

Thank your lucky stars that it was a brilliantly welded Crestliner boat. Had it been a riveted tub it would have been smashed to pieces spraying shrapnel in all directions, possibly hurting innocent bystanders.

Perhaps if you hit it hard enough with a hammer you can bash the tiller out of it and make it into a side console, as God originally intended.

Jim

It might even look like this:

P1000584.jpg

Thank your lucky stars that it was a brilliantly welded Crestliner boat. Had it been a riveted tub it would have been smashed to pieces spraying shrapnel in all directions, possibly hurting innocent bystanders.

Perhaps if you hit it hard enough with a hammer you can bash the tiller out of it and make it into a side console, as God originally intended.

Jim

It might even look like this:

P1000584.jpg

:clapping::clapping:

NO WAY...tiller ALL the way.. :thumbsup_anim, steering wheels are for cars and trucks.

You stated this is an insurance write-off...if so, is it even legal to sell such a thing again

..yeah for sure, was bought from the insurance company at an auction and then sold to me.

:clapping::clapping:

NO WAY...tiller ALL the way.. :thumbsup_anim, steering wheels are for cars and trucks.

..yeah for sure, was bought from the insurance company at an auction and then sold to me.

cool wasn't sure how that worked, they say you learn something new every day...thanks :P

good luck on the project.looks like a bit of work for sure :Gonefishing:

Like Wayne said, too bad aluminum doesn't shrink!

Sheet metal that has beed dented like that has been stretched!!! You'll have to hit it with a "tenderizing" hammer to shrink it back... this means bondo!!!

Just using a hydraulic jack and mallet... it's going to look like a Billy Goats :asshat: sewed up with a grapevine!!!

I personally couldn't sell something like that with a clear conscience unless I was completely honest with the buyer!!!

Yes sir!... the boat has been trashed... but I jack-legged it back to sell it.

Considering your initial investment (what you paid for the boat) plus your labor and materials, you'll be hard pressed to even get your money back... why do you think the insurance company wrote it off???

Edited by GCD

I'd just run it as it is. So what if it has a few dents......my boat has lots of dents.

Sinker

I agree with that. I have seen lots of boats out there that make it out and back with some considerable dents in them, not to mention they leak!

I will though get it back as close as possible.

Considering your initial investment (what you paid for the boat) plus your labor and materials, you'll be hard pressed to even get your money back... why do you think the insurance company wrote it off???

This was a major concern of mine at the beginning, but...

What I paid for this boat is A LOT less then I spend on smokes a year I can tell you that. And as far as I know it is almost always cheaper for an insurance company to write something off, never quite understood that, <_< just know thats how it works...and for all I know buddy could have had full replacement coverage and when it went for a ride he simply gets a new boat????

And yes I will be keeping a photo log of the work done to the boat and will gladly show it to any prospective buyers....I'm not about to try to screw anyone on this once its done. I am one of the honest people... to some degree :whistling::whistling:

I agree with that. I have seen lots of boats out there that make it out and back with some considerable dents in them, not to mention they leak!

I will though get it back as close as possible.

This was a major concern of mine at the beginning, but...

What I paid for this boat is A LOT less then I spend on smokes a year I can tell you that. And as far as I know it is almost always cheaper for an insurance company to write something off, never quite understood that, <_< just know thats how it works...and for all I know buddy could have had full replacement coverage and when it went for a ride he simply gets a new boat????

And yes I will be keeping a photo log of the work done to the boat and will gladly show it to any prospective buyers....I'm not about to try to screw anyone on this once its done. I am one of the honest people... to some degree :whistling::whistling:

A photo log of your work would be a real good thing! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the post, having a Crestliner myself I always wondered how it might hold up in the event of hitting a submerged object. Guess I don't need to worry too much. I hope you post some project updates. I have a feeling we'll be very surprised at the finished product. Good luck.

My boat was RAMMED into a shoal before I bought it. The ribs are bent, along with the hull. I didn't touch it at all, no leaks, no problems. I got the whole rig for a real good deal. I think if I tried to fix it I'd do more damage than it already had. Just my opinion.

I've taken it to hell and back, and I don't baby it one bit. Its go or bust for me.......and she hasn't busted yet!!

Sinker