The Wednesday Trifactor !

irishfield

So with OFC down for a day + I got so much work done in the shop that the boss gave me a day off. :thumbsup_anim:

Sunshine, not too cold.. a bit of a breeze and the solution of what to do with the day didn't take long to figure out.

Somehow I've been hooked onto this dumb sport called ice fishing and it didn't take me long to get my vehicle loaded up!

fly1.jpg

Moments later I was saying goodbye to Penetang around 10:45 am..... and hello to the gorgeous view of Georgian Bay

fly2.jpg

Port Severn outflow is starting to work it's magic on the ice.

fly3.jpg

Only 14 minutes later I was settled in and fishing Matchedash Lake !

fly4.jpg

Didn't mark a darn thing for about an hour... so I moved up the lake a bit.

fly5.jpg

Didn't mark anything there either... so I gave it 30 minutes and then packed up and decided where to go next.

Outflow from Six Mile Lake into the pool.

fly6.jpg

Heck.. why not fish Six Mile....

fly7.jpg

Gave it a quick circle looking for structure and open current areas ....and a total of 12 minutes after leaving Matchedash I was marking a school of fish!

fly8.jpg

Trying to get them to cooperate

fly9.jpg

..and wouldn't you now !

flya.jpg

Played with them for about an hour... hoping something big would come along, but nope... so packed up and headed back towards home.

flyb.jpg

You take the long way... I'll take the high way..

flyc.jpg

Then I decided to make it a triple play. Why not fish Georgian Bay.

flyd.jpg

Gave it some thought... checked out the current areas and then picked a spot out by Governors Island.

flye.jpg

So 10 minutes after leaving Six Mile Lake I was set up and jigging way out on Georgian Bay! Was marking some stuff on bottom in 68FOW that wasn't cooperating.. wandered around a bit and then came back just in time to see something just going off the screen that was marked about 30 feet down. Brought my spoons up and it came back. Took a bit of coaxing but it hit hard. Peeled dragged.. thinking I had a nice pickeral coming up I was surprised by my first ever Lake Herring.. and a nice one at that. And you wonder how them Muskie's get big! lol

flyg.jpg

The auger makes a great camera holder !

flyi.jpg

Sun is getting low... time to go..

flyj.jpg

flyk.jpg

Headin towards home

flyl.jpg

7 minutes later I was home in the yard at 4:55pm!

Now the only question is... why'd I wait this long to get hooked on ice fishing. Total travel time to do 3 lakes and get home 43 minutes. Total fuel burn.. 4 US gallons = 15 litres !

Edited by irishfield

Great report and pics Wayne :thumbsup_anim:

Got to love it when you get time on your hands.... and what better way then spending it flying into 3 different lakes for a shot at hard water fishing B)

That herring is a fine looking one :thumbsup_anim: congratulations :clapping:

Thanks for sharing your fly-in adventure

Leechman

Thats awsome! :worthy: :worthy:

You sure cant go wrong doing it that way!

Well you can... if you notice in the first picture of the airplane the skis are down. Don't do that on glare polished ice. I weather cocked and was blown straight to shore from the middle of the lake before I could get the engine shut down.. door open and jump out hanging onto the wing strut to get it to stop going like a curling rock before I hit shore! Note all the other shots are wheels down!

I think they would know , what I did

and we have an agreement about only so many people off at one time....

if I called in sick after asking those days off...people would be POed....AND THEY HAVE BEEN GOOD TO ME

I am thinking it's too far to go just for Sat. and Sun

Wayne, you are the luckiest bum alive! I am extremely jealous. I love trying to figure out the land forms without reading the captions like the shot of Present and Beuseile Island, then Giants Tomb later on. I sent you a PM with a summer time hotspot.

Lottery??? Just get a drill out and start building ! :o:D

Yep I hear ya. Flying your own plane is after all the sport for the masses, heck everybody's doing it these days LOL!

Y'know I'm gonna get right on that tomorrow, see if maybe I can Red Green something together in the backyard.

(They don't call duct tape 100mph tape fer nuthin'! :thumbsup_anim: )