NHL trade deadline day

uglyfish

well, the biggest and best move of the day.... vesa toskala on IR done for the season!

otherwise, a boring day and as a leafs fan, im a little disappointed that we lost 2 of our top players and got nuthin to help us back, and picked up a goalie who has been useless.

your thoughts? not just on the leafs, but league wide. some big names moved, and some teams really improved themselves. rangers and flames would prolly be the top winners this year

Edited by uglyfish

No thoughts really.... Antropov to Rangers for 2nd round pick, Domenic Moore to Sabres, again for 2nd round pick. As you said Toskala on IR. Gerber to Toronto off waivers, and defenseman ?? off waivers, supposed to be tough guy.

lol too many guys... but i love the fact that this "expert" panel is made up of an ex GM, ex coaches, ex players who had no talent when they played... and pierre mcguire whom annoys the hell out of all of us... is it any wonder why most of these guys all have EX before their title?!?

lol too many guys... but i love the fact that this "expert" panel is made up of an ex GM, ex coaches, ex players who had no talent when they played... and pierre mcguire whom annoys the hell out of all of us... is it any wonder why most of these guys all have EX before their title?!?

Pierre needs to take a puck to the beaner when hes down "on ice level" and head to the IR room with Toskala for the rest of the season. Cant STAND the guy and I dont know how anyone works with him.

As for the leafs, I have been waiting to see Antropov gone for a long time, but I had hoped he could do a little better than a 2nd round pick.

Not impressed at all with the leafs moves.

i agree, not happy with the moves and i would pay the 200 bucks to get an ice level ticket at the ACC to watch mcguire take a puck to the head.

but, im an antropov fan, and a really like moore and im not happy to see them go. with antropov they lose their most talented offensive player and someone who kills penalties very well for them, and moore they lose their most consistant player. i really hope they make use of those draft picks.

toskola i wish anyone would take him for a bag of pucks cause we'd be better off with one of those old street hockey goalies ya hang off the net and shoot for the holes.

gerber is useless and im not happy with that pick up. lets hope the new colors kick him in the ass and he plays well. although best thing would be to toss him to the AHL start pogge the rest of the year with joesph as his backup.

I'm happy with the moves that the Leafs made. Sure, Antropov and Moore are among the highest point getters on the team, but that's only because they have been afforded first line ice time. Neither of these two dudes are anywhere close to being first line quality. Likely not even second line on a team with any depth. Two second round draft picks are decent. It's worth remembering that Zetterburg was a 7th round draft pick. We'll have to see how Gerber pans out. It would be hard to be any more inconsistent than Toskala, in spite of his incredible performance last night on a torn groin.

The biggest surprise for me is seeing Calgary pick up Jokinen. They are already serious Cup contenders. This only adds considerable fire power to their arsenal.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the Toronto Maple Leafs Centre for Retire-Ready Goaltenders. Gerber and Kolzig? hahahahaha

and you guys got nothing at all for antropov or moore!

since you're taking sens garbage would you guys mind taking schubert while you're at it?

Jokinen to the flames is definitely big for them.

Not impressed at all with the leafs moves.

Does that surprise you at all ??? :wallbash: :wallbash:

Is anyone EVER impressed with the leafs ? I can't remember the last time I heard someone saying the leafs did something good !

I'm not a Leafs fan, but I was expecting SOMETHING out of them.... :wallbash: :wallbash:

I was happy with my team's pick ups. Bruins got the left shooting forward (Recchi), they wanted for the power play to replace Sturm (out for the season). Had to give up two AHL players for him but also received a 2nd round pick from Tampa. Then getting a big, tough, right shooting "D" man (Montador) that can allow them to put Hnidy in the pressbox for insurance purposes. For him they gave up another AHL player with potential to be a 3rd line NHL'er. I was hoping that they would move Fernandez for a pick, since Thomas and Rask can easily handle the goaltending duties. More hype than real substance this year.

Getting some more decent players and two 2nd round draft picks is pretty good in my mind. Look at our pick last year (Luke Schenn) who is and will turn into a excellent d-man. Who knows what will come out of these picks :rolleyes:

As a side note i would wish our current progress would stop as we could use another good draft pick...(11pts in 7 games)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

yea, we've had only a handful of good draft picks since 1984. clark and schenn. are the most notable, then u can add antropov, kaberle who was a surprise after being picked so late, ian white. our draft history hasnt been too good. so, id rather have gotten players back over picks. pick MAY give u a great player... or u could get an alexandre daigle and have nothin. bottom line, ur draft picks are usually 2 or 3 years away from NHL games. we could have done better today

I was happy with my team's pick ups. Bruins got the left shooting forward (Recchi), they wanted for the power play to replace Sturm (out for the season). Had to give up two AHL players for him but also received a 2nd round pick from Tampa. Then getting a big, tough, right shooting "D" man (Montador) that can allow them to put Hnidy in the pressbox for insurance purposes. For him they gave up another AHL player with potential to be a 3rd line NHL'er. I was hoping that they would move Fernandez for a pick, since Thomas and Rask can easily handle the goaltending duties. More hype than real substance this year.

Yea I like what the Bruins are doing. Pretty well trying to match the Western teams size for size. They know that you can swat little flies ( Habs) around, especially if they know that they wont land (stand their Ground). No way they can lose in the East. I think theyre for real and they get my vote.

quite a boring day but Calgary looks to have bolstered it's line up pretty good though. I'm a sens fan and they picked up Pascal Leclaire and a 2nd for Vermette. Could be good if Leclaire gets healthy and plays to his ability but it could be bad if he keeps getting injured. I think Vermette is going to do really well playing with Nash and a change of scenery is going to do him a world of good. I hate to see him go but it had to happen. Signing Kuba was a good move too but I am surprised that Neil didn't move. They must plan on signing him otherwise you would think he would have been traded.

I'm surprised that the leafs picked up Gerber but they need to field a team for the fans that is as Burke says "the best team he can put together" and I guess he thinks that Gerber is better than Joseph or maybe he is there to back up Joseph, who knows. The got some decent picks, giving up a 2nd for Moore, Buffalo must be high or something. I'm surprised that Ponikaroska-whatever-his-name-is is still there.

Also surprised that the Islanders didn't move more and all that talk about Bouwmeester and Pronger for months and nobody moves. Overall there were lots of nobodys moving around and a few impact players which made for a really boring day, trade-wise.

If I had an opinion on this, I'd say the Silver Fox did a much better job as a caretaker last year than the so called Messiah Burke (did today). The only positive thing I can say about Burke is that he refused to overpay Moore as would have been done with the previous ring leaders.

Guess us Leafs fans will have to wonder what could have been had Gretzky been tossed for his high stick on Gilmour back in 1993. :whistling:

Getting some more decent players and two 2nd round draft picks is pretty good in my mind. Look at our pick last year (Luke Schenn) who is and will turn into a excellent d-man. Who knows what will come out of these picks :rolleyes:

As a side note i would wish our current progress would stop as we could use another good draft pick...(11pts in 7 games)

Agreed.

Well with toskala out for the season and Gerber coming in to fill his place we shouldnt have a problem getting lit up for the rest of the season :clapping:

Also antropov and moore are out of the way so it looks like were good to lose out the season and pick up John Tavares!

Ah who am I kidding.

Anyone else feel a strong run into mediocracy coming on?

well, pretty much what was expected for mtl. they couldn't buy and trades are hard to come by, thankfully tanguay should be back in the next couple games, price is gettin killed since recovering from his injury, 'nother crapload tonight,

i think the leafs did a fine job, bruins and flames rocked the deadline, bruins knew they have a great chance so they took the steps needed for a little extra push, flames weren't quite the cream of the crop and did what they needed to do to get there,sens were a team going nowhere fast and got a great goalie in preperation for next year, good for them

since my habs SHOULD make it to the post season but most likely lose in the first round, i'm pickin the bruins and flames (hopefully det. and s.j. will lose a key player to injury LOL)

GO HABS GO

go flames go

as said, the best thing to happen has... toskola is out for the year. well, best thing would have been to trade him for a shiny new puck or stick, but no one wanted to over pay for him.

gerber, IF he gets his head in the game, can be a good goalie, but still too old to do much good. should have pogge in, joesph back up and gerber in the minors.

i would have given moore the money he wants, because without him the leafs would have been in a far worse position this season. he was their most consistant player all year.

they better make some moves in the offseason and bring in some talent if they expect to do anythin

Calgary made some GREAT moves....made themselves a contender for the cup in my opinion, gerber going to Toronto?????????? that is one i don't understand, i thought they wanted to keep the puck out of the net in toronto.....good to see that avery had his first practise with the rangers as well....should be an exciting finish to the season, cant wait to see what happens....

Hawk

Calgary made some GREAT moves....made themselves a contender for the cup in my opinion, gerber going to Toronto?????????? that is one i don't understand, i thought they wanted to keep the puck out of the net in toronto.....good to see that avery had his first practise with the rangers as well....should be an exciting finish to the season, cant wait to see what happens....

Hawk

Looks like Avery is BACK

Hawk

I think Gerbers deal is up this year anyways, and I doubt the leafs will re sign him. Probably more of a salary dump deal than anything