They ought'a be ASHAMED !!

Meely

I didn't say that none of the other companies aren't hurting but I don't see billions of tax dollars being handed to them to keep them afloat.

As for not buying a foreign vehicle, well lets see, last report I read stated that 5 out of every 8 "foriegn" cars sold in Canada were manufactured right here in North America. I wonder how many jobs would be lost if the Hondas, Mazdas, and Toyotas were to pull out of Canada?

Couple of years ago, I heard a loud noise under the car and took it to Scarborough Lexus Toyota .... said it needed this and that for the exhaust -- cost 500 bucks ... I say stick it ... went to the "Noise Boyz" on Danforth Road ... 140 bucks to cut out a bad piece and weld in a new piece ... been fine ever since.

Another example ... 6 years ago ... car steering was getting grabby -- took it to Scarborough Lexus Toyota ...said it needed a new steering yoke due to rust -- cost 500 bucks ... told em to stick it ... took it to my "little brother" (I was a "Big Brother" year ago) ...he loves working on cars ... popped the hood, took one look and grabbed a big gob of grease form a tin ... told me to get in the car and turn the steering wheel ... loosened up and has worked fine since ... like I said, that was 6 years ago.

Final story ... friends had a older Toyota Carolla. Took to CT because it was stalling. Hook up the thing to the computer .. blah blah blah ... 500 bucks later they are out of there. Problem starts again a few days later ... took it to my little brother (same guy as above) .... pops the hood .... thinks a bit (something some mechanics don't seem do much these days) ... "I think I know what is wrong" he says ... off to the wrecker, buys a module for 40 bucks ... pops it in in 5 minutes ... problem sovled ... and he is just a decent home mechanic with no formal training ... does not even work in the business.

This is the kind of crap that turns people off ... it is so hard to find an honest mechanic that knows what the hell they are doing ... I suspect the dealerships/car manufacturers are the biggest part of the problem. If they would spend half as much on quality as they do marketing, then they'd be achieving something ... any company that has to spend billions on telling you how great their stuff is ... well, IMO it is the hallmark that it is crap.

I'm done !

Hotrod,

I use to think like you too ... then I went Japanese and I'll never go back ... pocket book could not take the N/A crap anymore.

It's a myth the foreign companies aren't hurting also. Another thing to take into consideration when talking about the foreign companies here in Canada and the 74$/hour figure is their workforce hasn't really started retiring and therefore they haven't had to make any pension payments like the big three have yet. As for me I will NEVER buy a foreign vehicle ever.

Nope... they, the dealers, all charge $89.95/hr or so !..and I do well to get $55 to build airplanes and I can't have my customers just pull over to the curb when stuff falls off !!!

My signal/cruise/wiper switch on a '98 GMC... $525 for the part and $125 labour before I could even say what the heck... all for probably a broken wire that someone like Bernie would have fixed for $5 + re and re of the switch. Replacement technicians...... and the piss off I never even got the thrown away old one!

Edited by irishfield

My signal/cruise/wiper switch on a '98 GMC... $525 for the part and $125 labour before I could even say what the heck... all for probably a broken wire that someone like Bernie would have fixed for $5 + re and re of the switch. Replacement technicians...... and the piss off I never even got the thrown away old one!

Any parts replaced in a repair shop are yours that you are paying for. You can request them kept so you can verify. This does not apply to original warranted parts you are not paying for. But in the case of parts replaced under an extended warranty they are yours as well because you paid for the warranty. In the case that the part being replaced has a core charge you would need to pay that amount to keep the part.

I don't care for R&R "technicians" either Wayne. Often they are doing it in that manner because they don't understand how to diagnose the issue or do not have the proper tools and information.

Nope... they, the dealers, all charge $89.95/hr or so !..and I do well to get $55 to build airplanes and I can't have my customers just pull over to the curb when stuff falls off !!!

Rates are cheap down south compared to up here.

The hourly rate at Canadian Tire here in Yellowknife is $120/HR :w00t:

The dealers are no better.

I do my own work and have for many years.

Even doing oil changes myself costs me more than going to a Rapidlube in Southern Ontario, but I only use top quality filters and full symthetic oils as well. An oil change (done by me) on my Honda Pilot is about $60. I wouild hate to see what one of the repair shops in town would charge,

It would probably be another $60 in labour!!!!! :w00t:

I work in the industry...i will rip you off every chance i get,,,and beat up your grandmothers and kick your kids!!!!

I will do this because i am an auto mechanic who has invested thousands of dollars and approx 8years of my life training to do just that,,

If i know it's only a ten dollar part i am happy to charge you 200 for it,,,because thats the kind of guy i am

FOR I AM YOUR LOCAL AUTO MECHANIC!!!

For the people out there that think this is true,,,,come work beside me for a day!!!

I've had good success with all the NA vehicles I've bought, and my next will be a pickup that will be a ford. I would never take my vehicle into a dealer unless it was under warranty. You can laugh all you want but just because it's made here doesn't mean the profits stay here they go back to the mother corp in japan. Sure there is money coming in because of them being made here but the profits go back home. Oh well at least we get a piece eh?

Over 50% of all cars are not made buy the car manufacturer,but a outsourced parts builder.

The part is installed by the car builder.

Most of the problems you will have with your vehicle will be a outsourced part.

Sum of the problem will be how the vehicle is driven and maintained.

eg; a friends car wore out the left upper control arm.

The bushing was wore.No problem,pull the control arm and replace with a higher quality bushing.

A year later it's shot again.

Friend ask if I can fix it again,But it's so bad he can't bring me the car.

So I'm thinking to myself that I might have kinked the bushing in installation.

I get over to his house and notice a worn patch of lawn a the curb, he has been

driving over the curb to make it easier to get out.

problem solved. Replace bushing and tell to stop going over the curb.

If you only fix it and not solve the problem. Nothing is going to stay fixed.

If you are going through brakes so fast. maybe you should take your foot of the accelerator before

you get to the stop sign.

All the problems can't be blamed of the tech.

the training program isn't all that good.

they follow shop rules.

To most factors, It come down to how much the tech truly know.

In technical trades, knowledge come from experience.

All cars will have horror stories. My Dad's Acura Civic was supposed to have been inspected yet during this inspection they "didn't notice" the frame repainting because the frame had been rebent after an accident. My Dad's local guy noticed it when changing the winter tires out. Went back to Acura and they gave him lip service for the inconvenience. Lovely considering there are 3 Acuras from that dealership in our driveway. Hows that for loyalty.

Finally as to the bailouts. Quit whining. It is a necessary evil because if the NA auto industry bites it, this economic climate will seem like a cakewalk. If you count the number of jobs that auto industry and supporting industry members hold then consider the dollars they spend on everything just watch how fast that lack of spending power begins to effect everything else.

Rant Over

RJ

Been driving almost 40 years. Had many Mopar products (Plymouth and Dodge) when I was younger. ALWAYS fixing something instead of taking my girlfriend somewhere. When I got older I SWORE off of any Chrysler vehicles.

Had more new GM and Ford trucks and cars including Saturns that I can remember. The early Saturns were good vehicles. Now they are just another GM product who shares parts with other GM vehicles.

June '07 I purchased my first "foriegn" vehicle. However, it was built in Indiana, USA. This Toyota Tundra blows away any Ford or GM truck I ever had. Almost 2 years old and it has never been back to the dealer. I might have trouble finding the dealer it's been that long ago.

When I purchased a NEW vehicle from Ford or GM I was always going back for some kind of warranty word and then most times it wasn't done correctly the first time. Got tired of that Bull. I'm sure they practiced what I call "The Wear Down Factor" where they just wear you down bring your vehicle in for whatever warranty service. Once the truck was parked EXACTLY the way I left it in the exact same parking spot when I picked it up. They NEVER call you when the vehicle is done so you had to always call and be left on hold waiting to find out if your truck was repaired. Like I said, no more of that Bull.

VERY happy with my new Toyota Tundra and would highly recommend this vehicle to friends and family.

Bob

I used to build auto parts. I am out of a job now but that's a story you all know. I traded my 1992 f150 in last year with 575000 km on it. Got 275 dollars for it! I towed my bass boat all over north america with it - worked it on my wood lot - totally indestructable. I now have a brand new 4cyl Ranger. It gets 35 mpg - pulls my 17 foot Lund and I work it on my wood lot. I paid 12,700 CDN dollars for it brand new. It is made in twin cities USA and has a Mazda engine. Here is my point. Buy what is best for you - buy what you want. It is a free world (or at least last time I checked!) I lost my job because my company built cars nobody wants. That's capitalism!

You know who Ought to be Ashamed... Each and every single one of us who hasn't taken the time to learn how to fix our own cars... These are machines, which need continually repair...

The one reason people complain about how much it costs to get their car fixed is because of the fact that they have to have someone else do it.

It costs a lot of money for the training to become a mechanic, to build a repair shop, to purchase tools, diagnostic equipment, and to keep up to the current industry standards. We chose dealerships to do repairs because they are UP TO DATE. Take your car to BOBS AUTO REPAIR, he is 60 and still turning a wrench, but he has no idea what to do with the computer system under your hood and left off the catalytic converter when he put on your new muffler, because you really just don't need it... You get what you pay for...

All that said, I drive a 2004 DODGE RAM Laramie, and let me tell you it costs money to keep it running well. It goes to the dealer because I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road due to the fact that someone didn't tighten the lug bolts on my tire properly ... I need the piece of mind that comes with knowing that the men and women that serve me are educated and work to industry standards... not to mention the awesome customer service I always get!

So :clapping: to all the mechanics out there that put up with the everyday consumer hollering at them all day... you are doing a great job...

Just my two cents.

Jen ( Bernadette)

Conversely Jen you also may find that "Bob" is entirely up to date with all the latest information and tools and training.

They also may have better technicians too. At the dealership level they usually work only on one brand of vehicle and they often have the same or similar issues. Makes it repetitive and some of them develop "parts changer" attitudes. Whereas in the aftermarket technicians are often diagnoses experts. I often have conversations with local dealerships that get off brand trade ins or repairs calling me for help. But to be honest it works both ways. I do call them as well if I think they can help.

To be in any technical support trade at this day age.

If you are not up to date, your not in the trade.

And for Bob down the road, with his own money up at risk.

Also his reputation. Theres a good chance you are going to get better job quality.

Can't say any thing about parts. That your chose.

My 2004 Grand Caravan started to self destruct at about 95000 klicks, so I went back to a Pontiac Montana. The Dodge was only 4 years old, not a mark on it . . but I only got $6500.00 for it. ($35K list, new) At 4500 klicks the Pontiac wiper blades were streaking the windshield like crazy . . . I went back to the dealer . . . the 'service advisor' said they just needed adjustment, and I KNEW the blades were 'chewed' from something. After several 'adjustments, the service manager came out and looked at my windshield . . . said it looked like something had 'dripped' and hardened on the glass, thus chewing up the rubber. I closer look . . . there were a few dead bugs smeared on the glass, a quick squirt of washer fluid cleared them. I also mentioned that I often cleared the 'road crap' off the blades with a weak mixture of vinegar & water! A H A A A . . . this is what happened . . . the vinegar rotted the rubber! After ANOTHER heated discussion, and explaining how I'd been taught that method over 40 years ago, and been using this ever since, he finally put a new set of blades on, after over an hour's 'adjusting' & arguing! NEVER will I ever buy G. M. again. The price of this van, brand new was $18,500 + I got a $500.00 gas card . . . I'm now finding out WHY it was so cheap . . . . I got what I paid for! I now realize what treat a major warranty repair (if ever needed) will be to get.

Conversely Jen you also may find that "Bob" is entirely up to date with all the latest information and tools and training.

They also may have better technicians too. At the dealership level they usually work only on one brand of vehicle and they often have the same or similar issues. Makes it repetitive and some of them develop "parts changer" attitudes. Whereas in the aftermarket technicians are often diagnoses experts. I often have conversations with local dealerships that get off brand trade ins or repairs calling me for help. But to be honest it works both ways. I do call them as well if I think they can help.

:clapping: BINGO

Iam class A mechanic only worked at small shops never worked at a dealer but you can tell a dealer only mechanic from a small shop mechanic anyday

my older brother truck coach mechanic only worked at a dealer-has the change that broken part attitude

my father is heavy equipment mechanic worked everywhere and on just about everything, that guy can FIX the root problem and it wont happen again

me i break everything i touch it seems ^_^

Edited by BUSTER

Irishfield,,,it happens,,,unfortunately mistakes happen,,i too have forgot to tighten a customers tire,,although it didn't get very far and no problem arose from it,i still made the mistake,,but that is one in maybe ten thousand tires i've removed and installed,,,it matters what happens after that,,and how things were made right by the company,,,we are all human and make mistakes but it's how many and the willingness to make it right when you need to!

Edited by sonny