will a 4stroke 4 horse kiker push my 17 foot aluminum boat

12pointer

on bigger water with any kind of wind I would say no. I run a 17.5 creastliner and used a 6HP for a couple weeks on temagami as a kicker. I found on many days out there I would have liked a bit more power to battle the wind.

If you've got one use it. If you're buying I would go bigger.

I just got a flyer in the mail from Proctor Marine in Simcoe. they have a trolling motor bracket on sale for under $100. I have one of the same kind and the bracket is well made and sturdy.

If it is a heavy boat you are trying to push with a kicker, don't go smaller than a 9.9

I'll agree with the others that you may want to go a bit larger on the horsepower.

I had a 6HP longshaft Merc on my 1650 Crestliner and while it would push the boat along perfectly for trolling, it had some difficulty turning into a strong crosswind unless I cranked up the throttle.

My father in law runs a 6 Hp 4 stroke on his 16 foot bow rider and it is fine on normal days but a little light in the wind. I have an 8 Hp high thrust on my 17 foot bow rider and even in big waves it will allow for easy steering. The high thrust is designed to allow you to steer a larger boat at idle or just above in the wind.

Like the others have said If you don't have a kicker as of yet I would go bigger.I run a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on my 17ft Lund .No bracket was needed .And works great steering in tandom with my main motor.You can even add a Troll Master so you can control the speed of the kicker anywhere in the boat.I guess the weight of the boat would make a difference as well.Lighter boat smaller motor.

DSC02265_1_1.JPG

Edited by Percher

I myself just use a 2hp Honda with a long shaft it does a fine job. full throttle it pushes my 16 foot Lund 4.5mph

I don't fish the great lakes so I don't need bigger. it has performed well for me even on a decent chop on Quinte.

Your boat however is fiberblass and much heavier you could always try out the 4 horse if it does not work out then sell it and go bigger.

Good Luck

IMG_0212_1.jpg

i'm looking at buying a kicker same as you bud. i've call a few places and only bass pro has called back about the bracket i need to get the motor on my boat. i forget the persons name but i was told that to have it installed and parts for a 4 stroke kicker would cost about $650 before taxes. i'm looking to get the 6hp not not the 4 hp 4-stroke though.