Discrimination

Fish Farmer

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Q. Is there a grandfather clause or age exemption?

A. No, there is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all operators, regardless of age.

Q. I have a sailboat. Do I need an Operator Card?

A. If you have an auxiliary engine fitted to your sailboat, then you need the Card. This applies even while you are under sail.

Q. Do Native Americans or Inuit people need to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

A. Yes, unless the boat is being used for sustenance reasons (such as hunting or fishing). A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required for recreational boating activities.

Q. I operate a boat for work purposes. Do I need the Card?

A. No. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required by operators of watercraft being used for recreational purposes. It is common however for many commercial establishments (such as marinas, and fishing & hunting lodges) to ask their staff to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

Q. What if I don’t live in Canada, but boat there?

A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card if they are operating their powered boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or if the boat they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes rented boats). Boater Education Cards or equivalent certifications are recognized in Canada. Proper identification should be kept on board at all times to provide proof of residency.

That is my favourite clause of this cash cow. If you rent a boat you don't need the license. LOL! Generally speaking people who rent boats have the least amount of experience using boats so why not allow them to operate without a license? Makes sense to me. ha

I think it says you need a licence to operate a rented boat.

. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card if they are operating their powered boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or if the boat they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes rented boats).

That's what it says there hammercarp.. correct.. but the actual regulations state when renting.. even as a Canadian you just need the signed rental agreement with the check list on it in place of a card.... unless someone re-wrote it again. I "rent" my (unused ontario corp #'s) boat to my children and guests!

Edit..

From Transport Canada website....

Anyone born after April 1, 1983 who operates a pleasure craft fitted with a motor, and all operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and less than four meters (13.12 feet) in length, are now required to have proof of competency on board at all times. As of September 15, 2009, all other persons who operate pleasure craft of any size fitted with a motor will have to carry proof of competency. Proof of competency can take one of three forms:

proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999;

a Pleasure Craft Operator Card issued following the successful completion of an accredited test;

a completed rental-boat safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats, valid for the rental period).

Edited by irishfield

Q. I operate a boat for work purposes. Do I need the Card?

A. No. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required by operators of watercraft being used for recreational purposes. It is common however for many commercial establishments (such as marinas, and fishing & hunting lodges) to ask their staff to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

There are new regulations from Transport Canada coming in or are in already, if you operate a boat for work purposes your going to need a licence from Transport Canada, a pleasure craft operator card won't do..can't remember which licence off hand..

Quitcher fussin' and take the test!... you may even learn something!

We've had it down here for over 12 yrs., there was a grandfather claus but I missed it by 6 months or something. I studied a little and took the test, aced it on th first try... and I did learn a couple things I didn't know!

It's the law and a good thing!!!

It isn't so much a cash grab. It was brought about as a way to try and control the loonies zipping around like lunatic flies on seadoos, PWC or whatever you want to call them and keeping kids landlocked. I'm sure the government isn't making a ton of money on this as it is probably going to cost us as much as the gun registry when it's all said and done in admin. costs.

It isn't so much a cash grab. It was brought about as a way to try and control the loonies zipping around like lunatic flies on seadoos, PWC or whatever you want to call them and keeping kids landlocked.

Exactly!!!

They're also trying to educate people on safe vessel operation! :thumbsup_anim:

.. but it doesn't always work... does it Cudz? ;)

I've owned a boat for over 40 years and thought I knew most everything one could know. Two years ago I took the Boat Safe Course offered here in my home town in PA by the Power Squadron. I not only learned a few things but I enjoyed it. Personally I wish everyone on the water would take a course in boat safety. Last year I posted on the board about almost getting run over on Nipissing by a jerk that had no business operating a john boat let alone a power boat. Not sure anything could help people like him but I am sure that if everyone would take a course there would be fewer accidents and fatalities.

I do not believe that it in any way educates anyone

I took the test without any studying

I don't go near harbors so I don't need to know the rules for them and if I ever do drive a boat near one I would never remember the info after all those many years ago I took the test

it is, was, and always be a cash grab and nothing more.............

There are new regulations from Transport Canada coming in or are in already, if you operate a boat for work purposes your going to need a licence from Transport Canada, a pleasure craft operator card won't do..can't remember which licence off hand..

yeah heard thru the fire chief here that to operate the fire boat and or our workboats due to being registered under a buisness we may need commercial vessel licenses as well

The commercial operators card was supposed to be out a long time ago. They had to wait for the cops to get theirs, somehow those that work for the provincial park got exempted but I know a few guys that have it. Word was that for some reason the RCMP was going to enforce it but they had to build some boats first.

If they ever do get it together it will be an eye opener cause you got to know your stuff for that one.

They had asked the PCOC providers for a copy of their data base ,that sorta smelled like renewals but the gov. doesn't get any money from the card and providers weren't required to keep records. AS the card is not a license but proof of competency and they don't have decent records I don't know how they could do it.

Quitcher fussin' and take the test!... you may even learn something!

We've had it down here for over 12 yrs., there was a grandfather claus but I missed it by 6 months or something. I studied a little and took the test, aced it on th first try... and I did learn a couple things I didn't know!

It's the law and a good thing!!!

I am not complaining about the test. I am actually for it (but don't want to part with my $$). The point of this thread is that the people who might need the test most don't have to take it to operate a boat.

I am not complaining about the test. I am actually for it (but don't want to part with my $$). The point of this thread is that the people who might need the test most don't have to take it to operate a boat.

I know what you mean about the cost, ours was/is pretty expensive too! $5 to take the test and $15 to have our drivers license renewed so they could put the "V" on it for vessel operator.

I agree that all people that rent boats should have an operators card as a prerequisite to renting.

They don't want the operators card getting in the way of those trying to make a living so they have a form like an on the dock test for renters, since those that rent boats rarely qualify as a tester they are only allowed to give out a day pass sort of thing. This would work fine if everybody is on the up and up.

Since the card has come out boating deaths are down but it doesn't mean we are all good boaters it just means we have a tiny bit of knowledge that makes us less likely to kill ourselves and others.

The one thing that worked best was the age restriction on pwc. What started all this was young kids killing themselves on rented pwc.

Cost doesn't seem to matter much here because most have taken the most expensive way to get the card through online testing. Some CPS squadrons are talking about raising the price of their boating courses to better reflect the value of the course, seems by keeping the cost down they are not being seen as a serious course when they're actually some of the most detailed courses going.

The next cash grab up the Gov's sleeve is " if you flush your toilet, you need a operators license" don't kid people.. this could happen!!!!!!

Q. Is there a grandfather clause or age exemption?

A. No, there is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all operators, regardless of age.

Q. I have a outhouse. Do I need an Operator Card?

A. If you have an auxiliary flusher fitted to your outhouse, then you need the Card. This applies even while you are under sail.

Q. I am homeless, do I need one?

A. Yes, unless its being used for sustenance reasons.

Q. I operate a toilet for work purposes. Do I need the Card?

A. No. A toliet Operator Card is only required by operators of a personal nature. It is common however for many commercial establishments (such as restuarents, and lodges) to ask their staff to obtain their Toilet Operator Card.

Q. What if I don’t live in Canada, but i use a toilet there?

A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Operator Card if they are flushing in Canada for more than 45 consecutive days or if the toilet they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes hotel rooms). Flushing Education Cards or equivalent certifications are recognized in Canada. Proper identification should be kept on board at all times to provide proof of residency.

$85.00 at the Sportsman Show or was it Bass Pro. I did my test years ago, the card is wore out now. Sportsman Show did it then for free if you failed, $20.00 if you pass.

My point was, you know who doesn't need one and SOME inexperienced tourist. I guess I put my boat away after 44 days of fishing :whistling: I can't believe I said that Spiel :D

OH, I called the company that did mine and they'll issue me a new one for $20.00

Also there is no computer data base for the operator card :dunno:, isn't that nice. :dunno: