Fish-N-Fool Knot

diggyj

Someone brought this to my attention. It's from the Knot Wars that has been going on. As it turns out this knot is supposed to be the best and strongest. Has anyone ever used it?

Why don't the pros use this knot?

Dirk

FishNFoolKnot.jpg

They do use it, but they call it a uni knot.

Uni Knot

DouG, he only passed it through the "Eye" once... instead of twice, which I guess is a 'slight' variation of the knot?... :dunno:

I remember once trying to tie it... I was having a bit of a hard time with it... mind you, this was LONG before I was learning knots....

I'll probably give it another shot this up-coming season :D

I can't remember what type of line I was using at the time (more than likely it was mono; I used to be religious about it! haha)...

and from what I can recall, when it came down to 'sinching' down the knot... it was giving me difficulties....may have tied it wrong probably... but i dunno... :dunno:

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

That used to be my "go to" knot. Passed through twice as seen in the picture, ever since I was a wee angler. I always just called it a Double Uni.... I only ever used it on Mono because I hadn't used braid until about 2 years ago.

I was showed the Palomar a couple years ago, and have since switched. The Palomar is faster and easier to execute, and is just as reliable. :thumbsup_anim: I've actually probably had more break-offs with my "Double Uni" than with that Palomar....but that could just be because I used it longer... :unsure:

Cheers,

UF

I use the Uni and double Uni knot for everything, that way I only have to know one knot :) . It is great all around knot for everything from a hook to adding leaders to super-lines.

-sheldon

same here, whenever a clinch type knot is needed. this one works great for braid or mono.

when a loop knot is needed (ie. to form a loop on a leader), google perfection loop

The Uni only goes through the eye once.

Do you think this will work for mono, fluoro and braid?

Dirk....

I use the uni knot also and find it very strong with all types of line. With mono & fluoro, the only thing I would suggest is to make sure the line is wet when tightening and sliding the knot.

I used to tie on the Trilene knot and though it was the stongest but my good friend Paul persuade me to switch over... and I don't regret it one bit :thumbsup_anim:

I use the nail knot for everything except splicing leadcore (willis).

The nail knot covers braid/mono/fluoro, different diameters, snells... I can't think of anything it wouldn't work for although I'm sure there is something. I'm going to try it on leadcore as well.

Am I the only person that uses only one knot?

I dont even know what its called...

Through the eye, spin the bugger around 6 or 7 times, back through the loop spit on it yank tight and BAM there ya go

I think it's called the trilene knot.... but could be mistaken ;)

I have also been watching Knot Wars.

Last year they had a knot called the Eye Crosser. It was basically a Uni knot that went through the eye twice, and around the standing lines only twice. It came second or third to the Palomar knot. It seemed to me that the Uni should have been less likely to slip, with it's 5 turns around the standing lines...If that was so, then the key to the extra breaking strength had to be passing the line through the eye twice!

I started tying a "twice through the eye" Uni. I also thought it was called a "Double Uni." but it is what they are calling a Fishing Fool.

Please Note that their diagram is upside down.

If you put the loop on the bottom, you will see that it's a Double Uni!.

It's also much easier to tie with the loop hanging down rather than above the knot as it is illustrated.

I use this knot on multi-hook baits where passing the lure through a loop was a challenge.

Recently, I have acquired a Tie-Fast nail knot tool and have been experimenting with it.

I have decided to use Fluoro leaders this Summer.

I wanted a splice that would go through the guides easily and settled on the nail knot splice...

On Knot-Wars the Gryp knot, which is the nail knot used to tie on a hook-eye etc. was defeated in the second round.

I now tie the Gryp with two turns through the eye and think it might be the best knot of all.

Since I might have invented it, I will call it a Grryp knot, that's gryp with 2rs...HAHAHA.

The big advantage over the Double Uni or Fishing Fool is the tag end is inside the knot where it can't be cut or damaged.

This knot is very quick and easy to tie using the tool. It can be done without a tool, but I would just use the double uni.

Ive found that different Knots work for different lines, especially the 2-6 lb tests. It doesn't even matter what Brands either. Ive had it more often than not I would use a Palomar and it would break at the Knot. Id try a Clinch Knot, same thing. Then I would double my line and use a Double clinch. That's my last resort as it usually works. If it still breaks at the Knot. Its Rotten. Palomar knots are easiest to tie at night I find.