What is this worth

MCTFisher9120

A friend of mine gave me this 1997 coin collection a few years back and I am curious about how much money it's worth. Inside the case are 8 untouched, mint condition coins, the one on the top is a silver dollar and the coin to the right of the quarter below the silver dollar is a 50cent coin.

Pictures:

ScreenHunter_01Feb131916.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Feb131916.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Feb131916.jpg

Pretty cool set i think :)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

If you were selling it, probably about $21.00 to $25.00 ($25.00 if you are lucky) US. If you were buying it you would probably pay about $30.00 US (plus freight).

To get top dollar for stuff like this you have to be in the right place, at the right time. Dealers want to give you about half of what it is worth on the open market but if you try to sell it on EBay by the time you get done with the time involved and fees and hassle you are probably further ahead to just go to the dealer.

Unfortunately probably not worth as much as you would like it to be worth or think it's worth. We just sold off what was left of my father's coin collection. We had some pretty old coins including several mint sets like you have and there was enough coins to fill one of those big plastic storage bins you can buy at Walmart plus some more. Trust me, for what we got none of us got rich, if I had my way I and the room for them it would have been as well to have just kept them. My share was enough to buy a tank of gas, some groceries and a case of beer.

Enjoy the set for it's beauty and don't ever disassemble the case and touch the coins. Like said, put them away and maybe someday...

Thanks for the comments everybody, I'm not planing on selling my little collection i was just curious to see if it was worth anything. As others have said i will hold on to it and keep it safe for many many more years.

Thanks for the feedback and please add more if needed.

Mike :)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

i think it needs to be a lot older to be worth money. hold on to it for 25years then ask around

cheers!

Unfortunately age has nothing to do with coin value. It's all about scarcity & errors. My grandfather collected pennies in his spare time, by the time he was done he found every penny from 1900 to 2000. 1900 penny might fetch $5, 1923 $50 (only a few thousand made that year in the Depression), but the most valuable he found was an off centre struck 1978 that was missing half the Queens head, $500.

Run of the mill Canadian coins will never be worth much, a set like yours will be lucky to fetch $100 in your lifetime.

Guest skeeter99
What, no big coin collector would want to give me more for this thing(i'm not selling btw) :dunno:

those are going for $10 to $11 bucks

nothing these days is collectible cause everyone collects them

what you need to get is a 1901 canadian penny and a 1926/1927 quarter now we are talking real money

When you have some free time wander through some flea markets...there are plenty of coin collectors offering stuff for sale/trade etc.

You will get to see what is common and what is rare.

I have a small collection including some rare bills that I won't be trading any time soon B)

I also have an American $2.00 bill.

If you ever find one grab it.

I spotted a large collection of Amercan $2.00 bills done up in a glass frame recently...almost fell over when I saw the price. It stayed :lol:

me mother started collecting for me and my older brother since we were born, i have every one since 1975 pennie-100 bill ! I really should start a collection for my kids every coin since birth but iam 12yrs behind already!!!

does that mean she has two quarters from 1991? they are very very rare