Spooling.

brkygetr

OK.. just got done re-spooling the rods for the 'morrow. I HATE line twist....got a wee bit tonight and caused me to re-spool once again. I have tried every method I have ever heard but the reality is I have found no true way to get rid of it. Regardless of reel or rod set up.

It really bugs me.....especially on ice rods as they are so short and it tends to wrap up around the tip if the twist is slack.

So who's got the cure?

As a side note I only use 6lb. Ande mono on a 1000 yd standard spool.

OK.. just got done re-spooling the rods for the 'morrow. I HATE line twist....got a wee bit tonight and caused me to re-spool once again. I have tried every method I have ever heard but the reality is I have found no true way to get rid of it. Regardless of reel or rod set up.

It really bugs me.....especially on ice rods as they are so short and it tends to wrap up around the tip if the twist is slack.

So who's got the cure?

Its the 1000 yd spool that is probably doing it to you.

The line has lots of time to accumulate memory, and that causes it to twist up easily.

I have never had any problems with 6 or 8 lb trilene XL, but I have never tried the ande so I cant comment

LOL...forgot why I originally thought of this!!!!! :whistling::whistling:

Anyways I tried looping the line through the spool-line-holder-unit (you know the triangle thing) instead of tying it on and it worked great...seemed to create less twist off the get-go.

Any thoughts?

Are you getting line twist when you spool up?

Yes.

It does not bother me in the summer, as you said, as you can drag your line behind the boat at reel it in true.

But ice rods are a pain in the butt. rarely fish out here over 30 ft of water so don't have a chance to let the line "twist out".

I have never had any problems with 6 or 8 lb trilene XL, but I have never tried the ande so I cant comment

Kemper...used to fish the Saugeen and Sauble religiously... grew up there....used the same line on those rods as I use now. Spooled fine on any 1500-2000 series reel......

AHHJ HAAAAAAAA..... I just figured it out.. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Just gotts ta spool the reels off the trout rods and then flip them to the ice rods....Betcha I go through a CRAP load of electrical tape!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

EXCELLENTNESS!!!

Thanks boys!

I have had the same problem on my ice fishing reels. I hope I just solved it today. I bought a 24" ice fishing rod that is a casting rod. It has a trigger on it. I am going to put one of my old baitcasters on it. Should do the trick. It won't be a good set up for live bait but I will use it for jigging (jigging is when I get most of my tangles anyway)

I have had the same problem on my ice fishing reels. I hope I just solved it today. I bought a 24" ice fishing rod that is a casting rod. It has a trigger on it. I am going to put one of my old baitcasters on it. Should do the trick. It won't be a good set up for live bait but I will use it for jigging (jigging is when I get most of my tangles anyway)

Try soaking the spool in hot water, takes the memory out I have been told.

It works well. I do that no matter what type of line I am putting on. I toss the spool in a bucket of hot water and reel in and so far so good...

I can't recall the last time I had trouble with line twist. I use 2000 size spinning reels since the smaller the reel the more prone to twist. To put the line on the reel I run it through a few or all the guides. Put the line spool on the floor with the label up and crank on a few yards and check for twist. If there is no twist I fill to about 1/8" from the reel spool lip. If there is twist turn the line spool over take a few turns, if no twist fill the spool.

If you get the line on twist free it should only twist through three reasons. First a defective reel which is not very likely, second a twisting or spinning bait which you have to watch or third reeling when the drag is slipping. If you want a demo of line twist when the drag is slipping just loosen the drag and hold the line so the drag slips while you are filling the reel. Either do this at the very begining or end of filling your reel because you are likely to throw away some line.

I started back reeling many years ago when drags weren't so good and I was breaking off because of stick slip in the drag. I still fish with the same reels. By back reeling I have the drag set very tight so I eliminated twist because of reeling against drag slip. I can't remember the last time I broke off on a fish. I admit I use baitcasters more frequently than spinning outfits but I am retired and my spinning gear gets several hours a day.

Twisting or spinning lures are a different matter. I make sure soft plastics are rigged straight and for lures like in-line spinners use a barrell swivel either on the lure or the line. Even with these precautions you have to watch carefully.

So who's got the cure?

for me a couple things.

1. related to twist when adding fresh line. i reel on fresh line slowly and then i'll pause after 20 revolutions. and see if the line coming off the line spool (not reel spool) is twisting, if so, i'll turn the spool over. this seems to reverse the twist that comes forms naturally as you reline a reel. and i do that repeatedly until the spool is full. that helps for me. then. after i've filled the spool, i'll ask one of my kids to take the end and walk the line to the other end of the house. and then i'll reel that back in, keeping it taut and that at least takes the twist out 20-50 feet of line.

2. twist while fishing. 1. shaw grigsby said this. always manually flip bail and give a tug, then start reeling in. this combats line twist and keeps the little loops from forming that stick out from the spool. 2. use a small swivel a few feet above your rig/lure. it seems ice rods have bigger guides anyway to avoid freezing up so the swivel can pass through easily. 3. avoid cranking reel when drag is going out. tighten drag or use rod to fight fish not reel, and then reel.

3. fireline/powerpro seems to twist less. tie on a mono/fluoro leader.

and i almost forgot. if you really want to avoid line twist, do what real fishermen do, they use baitcasters, haha. jokes. die hard spinning reel users don't be offended, haha. i use spinning too. and of course baitcasters have the dreaded backlash!

Similar to running the line behind the boat to get rid of line twist, when ice fishing I just put on a small teardrop type jig (one that hangs vertical) and let the line down the hole until just above bottom. Put the rod on a holder and leave it for a few minutes and the twist should spin out.

Burt :)

Two issues here: line twist and line memory. Sometime the two appear together as a dynamic duo.

Line memory has to do with the type and size of line as well as the spool it's on and going on. Soaking the line in water (if it is mono and will absorb it) will help as has been stated. If your line is "springing" off the spool or looks a bit like a uncompressed spring than line memory is the problem.

Line twist is something you can try to control but it will always be present in spinning reels. The best you can hope for is to limit the amount of line twist. Again, the type and size of line will impact the amount of twist as will the lure and type of fishing you are doing. I do not posses the ability in type (or maybe the patiences) to try to explain the best way to re-spool your line.

Quality swivels will help prevent line twist.

Good luck.

I love spinning reels .. and I almost NEVER suffer from line twist.

1) DO NOT turn the reel handle when the line is being pulled out on a loose drag... I dont know how may times I have seen someone with a loose drag reeling like crazy and doing nothing but putting nasty twists into the line ...

2) DO NOT troll with a Mepps (or other spinner)... period .... no matter how good you think your swivel is... your line needs a chance to unravel every cast ... this will ruin your line permanently within half an hour of trolling and even when you 'unravel' it the line will be weaker and more prone to twisting again.

3) if you are jigging with a bait that tends to spin, give it a rest every few minutes so it gets a chance to unravel (either at the surface - preferably) or let it hang idle and it will slowly untwist

I personally prefer freehanding (from a spool) on hardwater because the ice and slush doesnt let the line run as freely as it should to prevent twist.

4) Take care that your lure is running properly (a spinning rapala is almost as bad as a spinning mepps for line twist)

Edited by camillj