Sled or Quad for ice fishing?

motion

Guys, I'm sure this has been analyzed to death bud I need some help trying to decide what to buy for some week-end ice fishing out on Lake Simcoe (mainly Perch). I have been looking at a sled and also some quads to haul me and my son. If given and option what would you buy/use?

The 2wd quad and even 4wd will work some of the time but this winter we have had a lot of snow and the quads have been getting stuck. Even 4x4 trucks are getting stuck on places like Quinte. I analyzed this to death last year and have a sled this year and am sure glad I did. i got a 2up touring sled and can always take a fishing buddy out with me or the wife a well as tow my Yukon Fishtrap with ease. I have also been out and during the day a pressure crack will open up during the day. On the way in the quad may have more difficultty crossing it than the sled will.

Edited by FSNmachine

if you're gonna buy a 2WD quad, then go with a sled...

it's give & take....

quad has year round use, sled is winter only...

unless you live up north, winter is only 2-3 months here...

is it worth the investment for the several times a year you'll use it...

Thanks for all your input guys. I am thinking of just using it around Simcoe and I am not into trail riding so I though it might be a waste with a sled for just a few months of use. I figured that a quad might give me the option of using it the rest of the year. I am just unsure of the ability to go through the snow with just a 2 wheel drive system. I was told that as long as I am not planning on plowing with it I should be fine.

my Quad has 2wd /4wd switch, in 2wd unless on a plowed road or in a very small amount of snow,it aint going anywhere,and its got lots of mods lots of power and hungry tires,a snowmobile may be better in your case unless like stated you can use the quad in the summer as well,it also might be in great cond and I know they hold value but theres no way id put out 1200 for a 23 yr old 2wd

I have a Moto4 250 cc its an 89 two wheel drive. if your going for the Atv just make sure you get a good set of chains for the tires, i used mine on simcoe this weekend, and the last two weekends, with all the snow on the lake right now its a slow go but it beats walking,I pulled my flip and my little girl out, We did mangage to bog down in the slush a few times but the chains grab and your out.

I picked up the qaud because the last few years we have had very little snow on the ice and it burnt off my runners, now i have the quad and its a winter wonder land.

Sleds are faster to get to the fishing grounds but i love the quad for all the gear i can load on it.

You can see a pic of my quad on the last clamp-it post for simcoe.

Hope this helps

my Quad has 2wd /4wd switch, in 2wd unless on a plowed road or in a very small amount of snow,it aint going anywhere,and its got lots of mods lots of power and hungry tires

either you dont know how to drive or you are driving a 90cc atv. ;) i regularly use a sportsman 500 and a grizzly 660. both have 4x4 on demand but do very well in 2x4 in the mud and foot deep snow. with the grizzly its not too often that i actually need 4x4.

id go with an atv as it can be used year round. but if you have the money just buy both :thumbsup_anim:

either you dont know how to drive or you are driving a 90cc atv. ;) i regularly use a sportsman 500 and a grizzly 660. both have 4x4 on demand but do very well in 2x4 in the mud and foot deep snow. with the grizzly its not too often that i actually need 4x4.

id go with an atv as it can be used year round. but if you have the money just buy both :thumbsup_anim:

good for you your my hero

Had both; sold sled!

The ATV is much more usable 90% of the time. Slush can be a problem out on the lakes but get a sled stuck in the slush.... Not fun!

As long as you don't get the ATV hung up they will dig their way through a lot of stuff.

sled..100% pulled a quad out of lake simcoe last weekend..snow was to high quad went nowhere,, guy was kinda embaressed that he was stuck..tied a rope to my SNOWMOBILE he stepped on the gas and pulled him back to shore...not the shore he entered just the closest one.. he then peoceeded to drive back on the road back to his car and home...sleds can cross water if your sled is fast enough... i have a quad and its used for the bush most of the year but when it comes to snow...anytime any place mr.quad... ill get there faster and easier...

I spoke to a friend of mine and he said that a 2 wheel drive quad pulls him and his hut out no problem. The quad might cost me a bit more. I am looking at a 1986 Moto 4 for about 1200.00.

Too old too much.... there are better deals to be found.. a little more $$$ and alot better quality.

As for the question you asked ...depends on the amount of snow that is on the lake and are you blazing your own trail..

You wouldn't get too far without a fight on Nipissing right now with a 4 wheeler...or any northern lake for that matter..

In the conditions we have now a sled for sure.

But on the other hand a 4 wheeler ATV can be used year round.

Toss a coin and see how it lands... in my opinion ATV vs Sled in winter just to go fishing... all depends on the conditions.

RFS

:canadian:

Too old too much.... there are better deals to be found.. a little more $$$ and alot better quality.

As for the question you asked ...depends on the amount of snow that is on the lake and are you blazing your own trail..

You wouldn't get too far without a fight on Nipissing right now with a 4 wheeler...or any northern lake for that matter..

In the conditions we have now a sled for sure.

But on the other hand a 4 wheeler ATV can be used year round.

Toss a coin and see how it lands... in my opinion ATV vs Sled in winter just to go fishing... all depends on the conditions.

RFS

:canadian:

you do make some good points randy.... but with a sled you never have to worry about ice conditions its made for it snow or no snow...

Thanks again for all the input. I guess it comes down to personal preference and past experince. I would like to use the toy in the summer so I'm leaning towards a quad.

Where can these "deals" on good used quads be had. I thought 1000.00-1200.00 for a used quad might be OK. Anybody have one or know of one for sale?

you won't get much of a quad for a grand but you can get a decent fish sled for it. You're going to want to spend at least 2000 to get a decent quad, something mid 90s anyway. Keep checkin kijiji and you'll find something that catches your eye.