Ahhhh, Lake X

Big Cliff

Well, Beans, Photoz, and I headed off to the beautiful lake X bright and early this morning. I took one look at the road access and decided thet even with 4WD, I wasn't going to try driving out onto the lake so we loaded up our toboggans and started walking. There was a sled/ATV trail and that wasn't too bad for walking but to get where we wanted to fish, we had to leave the trail; as Steve said in an other thread, snow and slush didn't make the walking very pleasent for us older fellows. Fortunatly, we didn't have to go too far off the trail and we shoveled away some snow and drilled our holes.

Even though the temperature was milder than it has been for quite a while, the breeze soon picked up and made it feel a lot colder than it really was, none the less we had come to fish and fish we did.

This was my first experience using a Vexilar and Steve was wonderful at showing me how to set it up and understand what I was seeing. I have to say I am impressed! Shortly after getting set up I saw something come into range suspended at about 12' (we were fishing in 28FOW), I quickly reeled up to slightly above it and watched as it rose up to my bait. I didn't even feel a bite, just lifted my bait, felt some weight, and set the hook. That was my one and only fish of the day but without the Vexilar, I wouldn't heve even known there was a fish in the area. I did mark a lot more fish but by now the cooler air seemed to be moving in and the fish refused to hit anything we presented.

Anyway, a special thanks to Steve for giving me such a wonderful deal on the unit, it looks like it had never been used, and for showing me how to use it.

Here are a few photos of the day.

Beans and Steve chatting and watching their lines. Notice how grey the sky is!

gallery_415_187_21373.jpg

Steve with his new FL20, Nice unit!

gallery_415_187_18301.jpg

I have no idea what Beans was going on about here LOL.

gallery_415_187_11059.jpg

And finally, my one and only fish of the day!

gallery_415_187_9223.jpg

The catching was slow but the Fishing, as always was wonderful!

Looks like a good time was had for sure :thumbsup_anim:

That sure is a slushy mess...good call leaving the vehicle on shore.

I was on Scugog yesterday in similar slushy conditions and watched someone attempt to take out a Dodge pickup truck. Was entertaining! :blink:

Thanks for the pics and the report :D

Lake X must be far away if you were up that early :dunno:

Great report Cliff. At least you got a fish. We were out in that slush today also and it was a mess, and all we managed was a small perch - And Paul caught it :dunno: I don't know, I think he has this ice fishing thing figured out :o

Looks like you all had a nice day. I've wondered if those Vexular's are worth it. Maybe I should reconsider.

Joey

So that's what that Steve guy looks like. :)

3 young fellas out having fun with toboggans :clapping:

Great that you got a fish....you'll no doubt be going out more - hopefully.

I too was on the river....took the dog for a walk....slushy it was...but it was nice being out there just the same.

Enjoyed your report Cliff.

Great report and pics Cliff :thumbsup_anim:

Electronic flashers sure is the way to go as far as ice fishing goes.... great tool to locate depth and fish :thumbsup_anim:

Glad you guys had a good time and that you caught a beautiful slab :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman