Thinkin bout' buyin a Cat???

brkygetr

ok heres the debate and parameters...

This is similar to the CHEVY, Ford, Dodge debate. I have been looking for a decent sled for a while with little luck, mind you I have been picky. I have come across a 2002 Arctic Cat ZR 500 CCE (Cross Country Edition). I really have never even looked at ads that have Arctic Cat in the first 3 words..not sure why just not an Arctic Cat guy...probably the same reason I will never buy a Ford!!! :whistling:

Anyway this sled is MINT, 500 miles on a stock Actric Cat crate motor (3400 on the sled, crank blew and shot the motor good). After market seriously wide plastic pontoons on it and newer 1 and quarter paddle track. 6 inch riser on bars.

Need to know some opinions on your choice of sleds and IN PARTICULAR if anyone has this model sled.

The price is good and I don't want to waste the oppertunity just need to hear some reviews?????

Cheers:

The Getter Of The Brookies

Take it to a mechanic to have it checked out before you buy it.

Dude is a mechanic...runs a shop in town and keeps his equipment maintained. I have dealt with him for 2 years on a professional basis, just so happened he was the the guy with the ad when I called.

Well I have a had two Cats.

the first a 2000 ZL 700 which is very similiar to the ZR except more of a trail sled and my current 03 F7.

I dont know if you know too much about sleds but here goes. Forgive me if you do.

It may need jackshaft bearings and drive bearings. they are hard hard to check

when looking at a sled. They may last 1000 miles, 500 miles or 20 miles all depends. They are not too bad to replace but you have to like to wrench on them a dealer will soak you big time.

Look at the idler wheels in the skid, are they all chewed up, spin the wheels .... do they spin smooth or rough. Some wheels may need new bearings if they are rough. Not a big deal to replace, about 10 bucks each.

Look at the track, any rips or tears, any lugs missing? A torn track is a bad thing. $500 to fix you doing the work yourself.

Is the track studded, if so what do the studs look like, any missing, any broken, any bent.

Look at the underside of the sled, under the skid plate. Is it all banged up, smashed? Not good if it is, shows it had been riden rough.

Look at the carbides, are they worn or in good shape, always can replace not a big deal.

Take it for a run, does it run good?

You could do a compression check but it has been recently rebuilt but never say never.

All above being said, I drive the crap out of my sled, they do and always will need fixing. Depends if you like to wrench or take it to the dealer. The dealer gets expensive, you can find out how to fix anything on a sled on the sled sites and save yourself a ton of money.

Not cheap machines to run but fun as heck to ride!

If he redid the crank 500 miles ago it should be good for a while. Did he do the top end also? that should have been done with the crank.

As far as it being a lemon, the ZRs were rock solid. If it looks alright I wouldnt hesitate to buy it. Great handling machine! The cross country has a shock package, it should ride good. Shocks can be a maintenance issue also. But I know of a good guy who can rebuild them if necessary.......

Cats rule. LOL

Bryan

I've had them all. I have a little arctic cat puma 340 right now, and its been the most reliable sled ever for me. I just blew the drive bearings at the end of the season last year, and havent bothered to fix it yet. I put gas in it the other day, and she fired up second pull.

I've had polaris sleds that were total garbage. Nothing but trouble.

I've had a yamaha bravo that was ok.....but still had issues.

All sleds break at some point.

They all require maintenance every season.

If your willing to keep them up, and know how to turn a wrench, they're not that hard to fix.

I'd go for it if the price is right. Sounds like the guy your buying it from knows his stuff too, and that never hurts.

Sinker

If he redid the crank 500 miles ago it should be good for a while

Crate motor..not just the crank, this guy doesn't screw around, droppped a new one in and bolted er' up! And I don't mind wrenchin, just not a cat a guy so kinda leary.

And as you said the suspension rocks, no difference than the ZR except the suspension. Track not picked and as with the rest of it MINT. Skid plate normal wear. Bearings...it was dark and I had just come off 12 hours of plowing..Carbides would turn on glare ice in March....

Basically MINT...jsut need someone to convince me to buy a Cat.

Thanks for your thoughts Firecat....though I think you may be bias :blahblah1: LOL

my buddy has a zr cross country 800 and loves his, he has 8000 miles on it and besides normal maintenance its pretty reliable, only thing personally a 500cc i find is borderline for me performance wise,id take 60cc and up but i guess its personal taste

ok heres the debate and parameters...

Anyway this sled is MINT, 500 miles on a stock Actric Cat crate motor (3400 on the sled, crank blew and shot the motor good). After market seriously wide plastic pontoons on it and newer 1 and quarter paddle track. 6 inch riser on bars.

Cheers:

The Getter Of The Brookies

For the life of me, I can't understand why everything for sale is always listed MINT, the only thing MINT is when it's in new or near new condition. By your description, it needed a new motor, so the obvious question is, unless the owner purposely blew up the engine, then the rest of the machine must have been subjected to some nasty abuse.

Dude is a mechanic...runs a shop in town and keeps his equipment maintained. I have dealt with him for 2 years on a professional basis, just so happened he was the the guy with the ad when I called.

Do yourself a favour and read the thread from limeyangler about buying a used sled from someone you know!!

Do yourself a favour and read the thread from limeyangler about buying a used sled from someone you know!!

Believe me, I know all about it. And I have considered that fact. But honestly I think I would rather at least 'know of' the person than not know them from a hole in the wall.

what about the Primary clutch has it been changed rebuilt they dont last long ,theres another 500 bucks ,I always liked Cats learned to drive a Cat @ 6yrs old ,then moved on to Skidoo ive had a few Cats here and there over the yrs my last was a 800 ,thay always look good and sound good and are dam hard to beat when running right,but like stated many times they ALL need constant maintaince if its a decent price id grab it ,that crate motor cost him some bucks

Edited by North East Shark

The cross country suspension is good but be prepared to rebuild shocks.It will happen sometime.Judging by the wide skis and riser I'm gonna assume he liked to ditch bang.I'd at least check the frame welds under the hood around the suspension joints.Check the tunnel for obvious warping or loose rivets.Being a 500 I'd say you're good.600's are known for stator problems.

Kerry

Are you like a hardcore rider or what?

Negitive..this machine is gonna take me places that I have never had even the possibilist (not sure if that's a word :blahblah1: )hope of making it to...NOW i can!

The cross country suspension is good but be prepared to rebuild shocks.It will happen sometime.Judging by the wide skis and riser I'm gonna assume he liked to ditch bang.I'd at least check the frame welds under the hood around the suspension joints.Check the tunnel for obvious warping or loose rivets.Being a 500 I'd say you're good.600's are known for stator problems.

Kerry

now thats what I'm looking for... :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers Kerry

Edited by brkygetr

BUY IT !!!! are you waiting for someone to hold your hand and take you over there to get it ? JUST KIDDING ! !!! I am a cat man so i guess im a bit bias. but i dont think it will get over 90 like ciceri said.

if it has power valves it will, if not, 80's.

I know 2 people with 500 cats, ones an F5 that is capable of 100 MPH

and a 98 zr, that will do 90-95.

These are dream-o-meter speeds.

Bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post pics but its dark out!!!!!

took er out for a ride , well actually took it home, which meant taking the trails...hammed on it pretty good and it handles awesome..I love the short/fat stance...and talk about easy to throw around...

Oh the brookies are gonna HATE me now :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: !!!!!!