Ice fishing on Georgian Bay.

irishfield

Had a PM from Krawler a few days back asking about ice conditions on the bay. Told him that I knew sleds where doing the Penetang Bay to Honey Harbour route safely... but.. "why don't we just check it out together"! Invited Terry to join us this morning.. but mother nature had other ideas and Terry turned around and headed home before getting too far North due to zero visibility on the 400 and salvaged his day with a trip to Simcoe.

I ran the roads from home and got down to the place that I'd picked out to meet Krawler, on the lake, about 8:20 and drilled my first hole. 3 feet.. what... is my Lowrance playing tricks again. Usually takes a bit to warm up and find bottom.. nope still reading 3 feet.. stick a shelter pole down.. yep 3 feet! :blush::wallbash:

Move out a bit and find 27 feet... Krawler arrives about 8:55 and we drill a few more holes and get to the task at hand.

Not ten minutes later the finder has gone from a blank screen to a few fish being marked and FISH ON for Krawler.

icefish1.jpg

Nice eye that we didn't even measure. Down the hole it went. Pretty sure it was in the 16" to 22" slot.

icefish2.jpg

..and no I didn't "blur" the background... that was the visibility today !

icefish3.jpg

Next up.. some huge perch each...

icefish4.jpg

icefish5.jpg

Screen just full of fish.. finicky fish..

icefish6.jpg

Krawler coaxed another to bite.. hoping pickeral..but nope fish food.

icefish7.jpg

Krawler had to go around 2 to pack up the cottage and get on down the 400 and I stuck it out for another hour and a half or so. Screen full of fish.. heater on...went thru just about everything in my tackle box and nadda.

icefish8.jpg

Great day on the ice no matter how you look at it. We had planned on heading out into deep water for lakers (80 to 100 FOW), but considering we could barely see 300/400 feet... and all machine tracks were drifted in... we didn't feel up to taking the chance of finding thin ice while making our own new trail. We'll leave that for another, sunny, day.

FYI... LOTS of slush out there for anyone heading out.

Looks like a good day out there Wayne

geesh I guess I havent been out on the bay chasing wallerals for wayyyy tooooo long ... I completely forgot there was a slot :)

I often wondered how the little village out off Waubashene was making out - on what I would have thought was scary ice (what with all the current coming out of Matchedash and Port Servern converging right there ) - I am guessing you were nowhere near them ?

Looks like a good day out there Wayne

geesh I guess I havent been out on the bay chasing wallerals for wayyyy tooooo long ... I completely forgot there was a slot :)

I often wondered how the little village out off Waubashene was making out - on what I would have thought was scary ice (what with all the current coming out of Matchedash and Port Servern converging right there ) - I am guessing you were nowhere near them ?

No where near there Jon. I fly over that spot sometimes and shake my head when there are huts 50 feet from open water.....but apparently a pretty safe spot.... if you know where you are going of course.