Dinner for the Daplummas pt2

misfish

Like I said before, I love to cook and I figured I would start to share.

Some here will know this meal, as they are from the east coast and know what this taste is all about.

For me ,it just keeps me intouch with my family heritage and brings back so many memories.

Ok lets begin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

First you need a good ol bucket of salt meat,

pic02320.jpg

Then you cut and chop up all yer veggies. Taters and turnip and carrots and some greens. Cabbage for us.

pic02321.jpg

In a large pot you get the water boiling and add in as much beef as you want. Remember,this is a salt brine cure so the more you add,the saltier it will be. If it,s too salty to the taste,you can add more water,or just drain some out and add.

pic02322.jpg

While the meat boils for about 3 hours,lets start on my secret sauce. Well it wont be so secret now.LOL

In a small pot you melt 1/3 pound of butter,add in 1/2 a larger finely chopped white onion,with a good helpping of the best savory money can buy.

pic02323.jpg

Allow the butter to melt and stir in the savory and onion. Cook til the onion is close to tender.

pic02325.jpg

Turn off and start the next step.

The roasting chicken.

Since this bird had a large cavity,I was able to make a small stuffing for it.

I went with a sesime/carway bread and added in some chopped cashews. I also stired in some of the savory/onion butter melt.

Once I had the bird stuffed I basted it with the butter.

It,s now ready for the oven. 50 minutes at 375 covered,basting half way,then 30 minutes uncovered,basted once aswell.

pic02326.jpg

Now back to the boiling. Once the meat is tender and can be pulled apart with a fork,it,s time to let it rest and add the veggies to the water.

pic02327.jpg

Timing is everything here.

First you start with the turnip. Let it boil for 15-20 minutes. The in goes the carrots. Same, 15 minutes,then add in the taters. Allow to boil for 20 minutes then add in the last of the veggies,the cabbage. Quartering works best.

Look they are happy happy.

pic02328.jpg

When all the veggies are close to being cooked,just add back the beef to warm it up.

pic02329.jpg

Ok now back to the roasted bird.

Yep it,s done, and look at this nice split. Oh the dressing. :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

pic02336.jpg

Now for the gravy.

Simple really. The left over basting,I add a cup of the boiled stock and add some robinhood gravy flour. Wisk til a nice smooth blend.

pic02334.jpg

After all this, you have

VOILA

Dinner for two.Well it was for 4,but the oldest came over to collect his feed before we sat down. These boys can smell this stuff 3600 miles away.LOL

pic02338.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Brian

My son, you'll make a good wife one a dese days!!

Looks some shockin good bye, we had the same thing, only roast pork!! MMMMMMMMM

I needed it after shoveling, blowing, and plowing snow all day!!

By the looks of it, I'll get to do it all again tomorrow!!!

Sinker

Hey Shane.

Tiz good eats no dought for sure. I was going to do a peas pudd,n ,next time.

Thanks all.

I hope to try and do this once a week for the next two months. It,s a project Im working on. Just looking for feed back.

The best feed back will be if you cook what I made and try it.

If you would like to add something to the recipe,please feel free. Let me know what you did to make it your own.

Thanks

Edited by misfish

Looks delicious. A lot of effort went into that meal and a lot of effort went into telling us about it. I can't speak for everybody but I know I really appreciate that and I'm sure most others here do too.

Thanks!

Looks delicious. A lot of effort went into that meal and a lot of effort went into telling us about it. I can't speak for everybody but I know I really appreciate that and I'm sure most others here do too.

Thanks!

Thanks Rich.

Why did you need 2 meats???... wasn't the chicken enough?

Ok heres an honest answer to ya Glenn.

The salt beef is a treat,like candy. It,s bad for ya,but it tastes so good. Why we boil the veggies in the broth,flavor. The salt is pretty mush light by the time you put them in. There was a time the broth could not be salty enough,memart still adds salt to his veggies.LOL

The chicken adds balance to the meal. The gravy is a bit much as well,but it is so good.

The dressing you will notice I said seisme and caraway with nuts. Very healthy.

During the week, me and the mrs,s eat healthy,at times we like to splurge,but trust me,there is no going back to a generously proportioned for this guy. Lean and trim and healthy. We do moderate our intake.

I unnerstan now Bubba... pig out on the weekends!!! :P

So the salt beef isn't far from being corned beef?... I love that stuff (corned beef), but we only have it 2 or 3 times a year.

That's how I do a corned beef brisket, boil it with taters, carrots, and cabbage. Then I put the brisket in the oven with a brown sugar and spicey mustard glaze for aboot 45 min. ... I always eat too much of that!!! :P

So the salt beef isn't far from being corned beef

Please,do not insult the salt beef.LOL

They are close,but the salt beef is much superior.

And no,we dont pig out.LOL

Dinner for two.

Half a chicken and veggies and a bit of salt beef.Oh and gravy :whistling::wallbash:

pic02338.jpg

Edited by misfish

If I had meals like that being put in front of me they wouldn't be calling me Big Cliff anymore. That looks and sounds so good! Where do you get the pails of salt beaf in this part of the country? I don't think I have ever seen it in any of our grocery stores or butcher shops? I have often heard about "salt beaf dinners" got to try it one of these days.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

:clapping::clapping: now that totally reminds me of some great meals at my mom's. When my step Dad was alive,mom would cook up a great batch of what they always called "Jig's Dinner" a big family gathering at mom's always had a big pot of that boiling up. :)

Hey Cliff

You can pick the buckets up at Sobeys,or food basic and zhers carries it aswell.The are two sizes.Thats the small 4 pound bucket I posted. That will do for two meals.

We use to have a store that had 5 gallon pails of it and let me pick what we wanted.