New GPS anyone have one?

Big Cliff

I picked up the Garmin gpsmaps 76csx and it's awesome! Found one on craig's list for $200 :thumbsup_anim: What made me decide to go Garmin was everything I've read...in independent reviews, what people on this board have had to say about them vs. other units, and Garmin's own website. They give a good breakdown of all their models, and WestMarine.com gives a rundown on a lot of the units as well.

As mentioned, it is very dependant on what it is being used for. The Oregon is a high end handheld model.

I've been using a Garmin Vista Cx since 2003 for eveything from climbing to fishing to adventure racing. Cost $400 back then and I'm sure they are much cheaper by now.

You definitely have the right brand and retailer.

I have had Garmin units since GPS units first came out and have always been satisified with them but this one is way beyond any that I have ever owned. His thought on it is: Get a good one now and it will last for years but I am hoping to get some feedback/ opinions on the featurs.

He intends to use it for hunting/fishing/and in his car.

i have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I love the things. My dad sold them for a while until Wal-Mark like establishment got involved, and he couldnt sell them for cheaper. It's a great unit, and have been pretty happy with it. I dont know anything about the modle he is asking about. But he should find a store somewhere, where he can play with one a little before he decides.

-R-

My buddy uses the Oregon 300 and I have the 76csx and if we ar together i turn mine off and want to use his. Like any other GPS it takes some time to get used to, but the Oregon is absolutly amazing. Very user friendly and the touch screen is not really sensitive, which i like (you can control where you want to go with it easier). Another feature i really like on it is its weight. when i hold it, i feel it...if it makes sense...i dont feel like its going to break easy. Very cool GPS...and i am ready to get one myself.

i have magellan triton 300, its way cheaper than what you posted (i think it was $170)

it has 20mb memory where i load my own maps,

20mb will get you covered ~200km radius around toronto

here is an example what size map is 20mb

map1.jpg

and its pretty detailed too.

map2.jpg

For driving the Oregon will not do as well as the road GPSs.

The road GPSs can load blue charts but will not allow zooming in (the depth markers disappear.

'But you can't have everything' you say. Maybe you can:

review

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/07/garmin_..._500_review.php

Garmin site:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134..._SERIES_NUVI500

It is about the same prce, water resistant/proof, 8 hour battery. It will not do the barometric readings like the Oregon. It has basic voice for the driving stuff.

I own an eTrex right now. The big downfalls are screen size and no automotive voice for turns. The Oregon does not overcome those 2 pitfalls either.

forrest

For on the water use, I like a model that floats like the 76 CSX. I think they have the same GPS receiver engine, but of course the user interface is much more slick on that Oregon you are talking about. I have no doubt that it would be well received and well used.

cliff I had an e-trex and it worked awesome, right untill it went to the bottom of the lake around sturgeon point, now have a magellon,works well but liked the garmin better

the new etrex sumits and legends float and are waterproof although after getting wet the battery area has to be dried before continuing use!

I have a few friends with the newer touchscreen garmins and the 2 main disappoints are battery life which can be less than 1/2 that of your average gps (about 20'ish hours is average), and the other is the satellite lock doens't seem to be solid ... There's a bit more drift than they expected and the reason for this might be those garmins use the H reciever found in the newer etrex and and all the other newer handhelds. I heard SiRF (the company) was having problems so garmin stopped using the SiRFstar receiver used in their flagship 60 and 76 cx/csx models. Since then, garmin started makng all of their own receiver chips and if you get a new 60/76 cx/csx now, you might get one with the H receiver instead of the SiRFstar III.

SirFStar111 is what I have in my 76 CSX. Its receive sensitivity is military grade - to do any better, you would have to cool the antenna and front end to liquid nitrogen temps. AND IT FLOATS. Did I mention that already?

I picked up the 76cx last summer for $200 (refurb unit from gpscentral) and I'm very happy with it. The fact that its waterproof and floats is a big plus (was in my pocket when I fell out of the boat this year and still works fine). Just don't forget the cost of the maps when thinking about it.

i am not familiar with the oregon Cliff but in my experience, i've yet to see a gps that is great at both providing hydro/topo info for fishing/hunting and for in-car driving use. keep them separated. they are two completely different uses and compromising to do both will likely leave you short changing one or the other. just my opinion

i have two units, an etrex legend that i use in the boat/outdoors and a garmin nuvi for in the car.

also, i dont think the "pay more now so you dont have to worry about it for a few years" type of thinking applies to gps units. they all work the same, more expesnive units just have a few extra frills or larger/colour screens.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of great outdoor GPSs made by Garmin. I've tried them all, but prefer a relatively tried and tested model, the Garmin 60Csx which is virtually bulletproof. If you're looking for something more current with touchscreen like functions, the Oregon 400 is another great choice. Check them out at gpscentral.ca. cheers. D

I have a Garmin 255W. Its great and I can take it on land or water....If I spent more time in the bush I would of opted for one of the smaller Garmins but this 255 is a do everything workhorse.It also comes in a 250 which is not as wide.

DSC02283.jpg

Good Luck !!