Inexpensive portable fish finders?

Joeytier

I'll heading down to quinte weekend after next, and I'd really like to have a fish finder to help find the fish, as its a bit harder than lakes such as scugog to read the depth simply by pulling up your line. :clapping:

I've been looking at this unit http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mp;cmid=PP_P0_2, and I'm fairly close to purchasing it, as the price is certainly right. I'm wondering whether or not anyone has this unit or others in the same price range to reccomend? Thanks.

I've never actually bought a portable, I have just made portable units out of regular fishfinders. All I ever did was buy a suction cup (probably 1 aisle over) and a box to house/transport everything in. Saved some $$ doing it that way, rather than paying 50.00 more for a matching case.

BPS Vaughan is selling the Eagle 320 for $199 and with some McGivering you can easily rig it with 2-6V and make it portable. I really like the full screen LCD as I can look away for a bit and still have a brief record of fish on the graph. Been ice fishing with an old X55 for years now and it works fine.

I've been looking at this unit http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mp;cmid=PP_P0_2, and I'm fairly close to purchasing it, as the price is certainly right.

i'm sure that unit would be just fine, but it's not a portable... you could, like someone mentioned, Macgyver something up as a suitable power source... but this particular model is one that you would mount to a boat and wire up to the boat's battery... unless there is a portable model that just isn't listed there... :dunno:

i've got a portable humminbird pirhanna, and while ice fishing it works fine... though, if it's a fairly cold day it doesn't read the transducer and just doesn't work at all (on the screen it will say "transducer not connected") and it won't read anything... also, if you're gonna go with a portable fish finder over a flasher (like a Vex or Marcum), here are a couple tips that will help you out... i'm sure the unit you pick up will be slightly different...

i've got mine set up as follows... and again, this is for MY unit... yours may be different...

1. turn off the fish ID

2. turn up the sensitivity as high as possible

3. leave the "filter" option ON (if your unit has one) otherwise you'll get all kinds of garbage on the screen that you don't want

4. turn the chart speed to it's maximum speed setting, that way it is as close to "real" time as possible.

good luck with your purchase! and if you have any more questions about fine tuning the settings, send me a pm, i'll try to help as much as possible.

I've been looking at this unit http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mp;cmid=PP_P0_2, and I'm fairly close to purchasing it, as the price is certainly right.

i'm sure that unit would be just fine, but it's not a portable... you could, like someone mentioned, Macgyver something up as a suitable power source... but this particular model is one that you would mount to a boat and wire up to the boat's battery... unless there is a portable model that just isn't listed there... :dunno:

i've got a portable humminbird piranha, and while ice fishing it works fine... though, if it's a fairly cold day it doesn't read the transducer and just doesn't work at all (on the screen it will say "transducer not connected") and it won't read anything... also, if you're gonna go with a portable fish finder over a flasher (like a Vex or Marcum), here are a couple tips that will help you out... i'm sure the unit you pick up will be slightly different...

i've got mine set up as follows... and again, this is for MY unit... yours may be different...

1. turn off the fish ID

2. turn up the sensitivity as high as possible

3. leave the "filter" option ON (if your unit has one) otherwise you'll get all kinds of garbage on the screen that you don't want

4. turn the chart speed to it's maximum speed setting, that way it is as close to "real" time as possible.

good luck with your purchase! and if you have any more questions about fine tuning the settings, send me a pm, i'll try to help as much as possible.

A stick of CIL Dynamite is going for about 8.50$ / stick...one time use only.

Cuda 168 at ctc for 129.99... make it portable by adding a lawnmower battery or a cigarette lighter attachment.. that's what I use and haven't any problems yet.. takes a little MCGivering on your part though.

GOOD LUCK!!

RFS

:canadian: