Snowblower acting up (NF)

tizfun

Hey Everyone, I'm in need of some help on my Craftsman 7.5 hp snowblower. It starts up fine with the choke on and when I let it warm up and reduce the choke.. It stalls .. Start her up again and same thing.. Tried to start it up without the choke (Being warmed up already) and it won't start..

I also just noticed that the auger blade doesn't spin as fast as it used too.. It was spinning real slow and not enough to throw the snow out the chute..

This is a fairly new machine, maybe 5 years old and I've never had a problem before....

Need to get this fixed as last time it snowed, I did it by hand..... Not again....

Any help & advice would be appreciated..

Tiz

Without a doubt, either there's a bit of dirt in the main jet and/or the float needle is not opening all the way to let enough gas into the bowl. Another remote possibility is frozen moisture(water) in the the carb, but, with today's gas, that's a far one. As for the impeller running slow, either the belt is toast or you need a slight adjustment on the belt tensioner.

Well, first of all which engine does it have on it, Briggs or Tecumseh? The problem is as others have suggested dirt or water or stale gas or a combination of all three.

You need to clean the carb bowl and main jet, it isn't a big job but if you don't know what you are doing, you can muck things up really quickly.

Is there any way you can get it up here to Lindsay, I'll gladly fix it for you for the cost of the parts!

Not sure which engine...It says INTECH SNOW HVO on it.. Thanks for all the replies.. Where is the damn belt ????

Big Cliff, Your offer is as always very generous.. My neighbor has a trailer, I'll ask him tomorrow...

Thanks to all....

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

I second the GO SEE BIG CLIFF idea...if he can't get you up and running no one can....lol. Just sounds like maybe fuel filter could be clogged or maybe moisture in the fuel. The belt might be worn out and prolly needs replacing after 5 yrs. You did well to have it go that long...GO SEE BIG CLIFF couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup_anim:

OK Tiz, Get the mod. and SN off of it for me or if you still have the manual, there will be two belts listed, after 5 years, you might want to replace both of them because you have to split the blower to change them. Send me the Mod. and sn, or the part numbers and I'll make sure I have everything here that I need to do a full and proper service on it for you.

The main jet on that carb is up inside the carb, again, easy if you know how. I won't be here tomorrow but if you wanted to come up here next Saturday morning, I can do everything for you while you wait (about an hour).

Let me know

Cliff

If your blades aren't turning, you may have broken one of the sheer pins. They are screws that go through the shaft that spins, and then through the blade. It stays on with a lock nut, they are there to sheer off. Check that first. Also take the cover off according to the manual and check the tension on the belt. Sheer pins available at a small engine repair shop.

Take Big Cliff up on his offer. You will never get a better one. And at 5 years old it's a great time to change the belts. And as diggy has said you could have sheared a pin. If it didn't replace them anyway as they may be worn and could shear too easily.

The carb is gummed up and more than likely will need a kit, possibly a new float too if no stabilizer was used in it.

Good for you BC. You are a stand up fella!

Tiz, could that be an INTEK SNOW, not INTECH SNOW if so it is a Briggs engine. I'm not familiar with "INTECH SNOW" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (Not that this is a problem, just want to be sure I have ALL the right parts on hand).

Holdfast: start using fuel stabilizer in all your gas that is used for anything but your car and at the end of the season....... Oh, the list is too long, perhaps we need to start a new section "Small Engine 101" LOL. The short explanation is you are leaving stale fuel in your equipment. Gas with ethanol only has a shelf life of 4 weeks then it starts to convert to break down.

Tiz, could that be an INTEK SNOW, not INTECH SNOW if so it is a Briggs engine. I'm not familiar with "INTECH SNOW" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (Not that this is a problem, just want to be sure I have ALL the right parts on hand).

Holdfast: start using fuel stabilizer in all your gas that is used for anything but your car and at the end of the season....... Oh, the list is too long, perhaps we need to start a new section "Small Engine 101" LOL. The short explanation is you are leaving stale fuel in your equipment. Gas with ethanol only has a shelf life of 4 weeks then it starts to convert to break down.

Thanks Big Cliff, The Mower was second hand and yup old Gas, now the Blower, well, I should of used stabalizer as there was still gas in the Bowl from the year before when I loosened the float.