My first ice fishing trip of 2009

irishfield

Terry was buggin me to get out ice fishing this week and I told him I wasn't overly keen on hauling out onto simcoe for Perch. Would like to get into some Lakers or Whitefish, but then again nether of us wanted to drive to my place up in Temagami. :blahblah1: Lucky for us I'd slapped a GPS tracking device onto Fishhunters (Lloyd's) Van back in November after hauling his charter boat home from BOQ. Terry and I sat patiently this morning and waited to see Lloyd's vehicle head North.. and we followed in hot pursuit! :whistling:

Arrived at Lloyd's "peace of tranquility" around 8:30 am..... got our gear together and hauled it out onto the lake. Found Lloyd and as luck would have it we also got to see our good friends Ron and Keith, as well as Keith's son Dale and MNR biologist Jason.

Drilled a few holes and got all set up. My first time to try out my new shelter that I got late last season from the CTC 50% off sale. I can tell you... I'll never sit outside again.. LOL

Jan22009icefishing001.jpg

Terry.. diehard in his chair!

Jan22009icefishing002.jpg

Keith with a nice Pickeral... well other than it had a bad case of AD. Not sure what it had.. tumour or just a "bowel" blockage.

Jan22009icefishing006.jpg

Shot of my finder for those wondering how clear a "boat" unit works. Top line with spike is a Salmo Chubby darter. Next straight line down near bottom is a 1/16th oz jig. Two lines below that are uncooperative fish ! Dashed line on an angle... ? moving fish or annomolies.

Jan22009icefishing007.jpg

Keith with a nice Whitie

Jan22009icefishing008.jpg

Keith with another Whitie and Lloyd trying to get his camera out of his pocket.

Jan22009icefishing009.jpg

Keith with a nice stocked Laker.

Jan22009icefishinga.jpg

Lloyd with a big Whitie

Jan22009icefishingb.jpg

..and a second.

Jan22009icefishingc.jpg

..and a third.

Jan22009icefishingd.jpg

Terry and I entertained a lot of fish... just couldn't get any to commit, other than one Terry had on briefly.

Around 4:30 we loaded up and headed home. Were having a good chat when I was taking a corner real slow and there was a loud pop in the front end. I thought maybe a universal joint let go in the front end drive shafts. Pulled over.. rocked the wheels.. had a good look but saw nothing. This truck was just in for $4200 worth of work at a local Chev dealer and new front brakes was one of the repairs. Drove a bit further up the road with the steering wheel shaking violently. Pulled over.. jacked up the front end and found the front wheel rocked 6" in and out. Thought I had a broken wheel.. but no.. 3 sheared lug bolts. Someone at Chev needs there air gun calibrated!! :wallbash: Lucky for us it didn't happen at speed at the next bend in the road... and very lucky the one bolt/nut was backed out further than the broken ones, but didn't shear or we would have been stranded on a back road in the middle of nowhere with only two bolts left. Tightened up the three remaining lug nuts and cautiously drove it home... to park "as dead" beside my dead F150. Good thing we have a third vehicle as we need to be in Ottawa by noon tomorrow.

Jan22009icefishinge.jpg

Thanks for the great day guys !... Terry, I'll send you the bill for breaking my truck....

Edited by irishfield

Great report and pics Wayne :thumbsup_anim:

Some real nice looking whities you guys got into :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations :clapping:

Just can't trust dealership mechanics now a days eh :wallbash:

Glad you guys made it back safely :canadian:

and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Great day fishing,,,sorry bout the truck,,,seen it many times,,,not tight enouugh so they back off and snap,,definatly not from over tightening!

Exactly Sonny .. they either didn't have the gun pressure turned up correctly or forgot to tighten it all together after hand running the nuts. So much for todays spec of hand torquing every nut. The saving grace was the one nut being way out and not snapping.

Edited by irishfield

Your story reminds me of a time we were coming home from the saugeen river. My buddy just had new tires installed on his Jimmy at Costco. We're cruising down the 400, when the passenger front wheel, took off on us. Came right off the jimmy!!!! Talk about having a heart attack!! We got lucky too, the tire didn't hit anyone else,and came to a stop in the ditch. We got a few new lug nuts and put it right back on......no more problems after we checked the rest of the wheels!!!

Lucky nobody was hurt!!!

Sinker

Nice report Wayne sorry to here of the trouble at least you guys made it home safe and sound and had some fun on the water were still waiting for good ice here I guess that is one down fall of the SW corner of Ontario not a heck of alot of ice fishing to be done in the last few years.

Well im glad you had a good time. it was nice seeing you guys again. i was a little shocked to see you tow walking out on to lake x. now i know what that thing was under me hood lol . to bad about your ride home. i think you forgot a pic wayne. i think My big eye is missing lol well its 3:30 and me and kieth are off on a 3 hour drive to lake xx hope its as good as lake x was yesterday.