Replica vs. Skin

diggyj

Was wondering if any of you could tell me the differences between replica and skin mounting? I know that one method is little more expensive and I know that by choosing the replica method, you are releasing a trophy back into the water to be caught again in the future.

Does a replica look fake? Does a skin mount look more realistic? Any thoughts would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks, DIRK....................

Quality replicas cannot be topped, they dont age, dry or crack.

I have 2 from Advanced and they are just awesome. I would never consider a skinmount again!

My largemouth from Advanced

gallery_221_42_1622.jpg

My pike from my avatar

gallery_221_42_11774.jpg

gallery_221_42_45882.jpg

Edited by bucktail

If you get to the Spring Fishing or Sportsman show, go around the booths and look at their mounts - ask who did theirs. The finished mount really depends on whose doing the work not whether it's skin or fiberglass. Replicas look pretty much the same way from day one.

I for one would go replica as the work I've seen is really good. The detail in the molds and ability to spray a realistic colour pattern is worth the money. My buddy has a half dozen from Advanced Taxidermy and not much compares to theirs

I have seen some great work either way..depends on the artist who paints it up. My only beef with a replica mount is...it's not your fish..anyone can take a pic. over exagerate by a few inches on lenght and gerth and they will do you one up...there's no lies with a skin mount :Gonefishing:

I only have one skin mount and it's still looking good after all these years....

DSC01213.jpg

I will definitely get a replica done next time I catch a trophy

It's loads of fun to hook into a big fish, take a few pics and measurements but also rewarding to release it so it can be caught another day.

I agree with jwl that anyone can take a pic but to avoid this would mount the replica on a big wooden plaque and get the photo laminated and stick it to the plaque.

Just my thoughts

Leechman

Guest gbfisher

I had one skin mount done by Günter's Taxidermy in Parry Hoot. Had it fixed by Advanced..... :clapping: I've had two replicas done by Advanced as well.

You tell me what you would do. See for yourself.

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

The only thing is that ya gotta keep the kids away from the......lol. The Ski has no teeth ....lol...and the Largemouth has come off the wall a few times...with help....lol.

I have to say that the skin mount even bring touched will destroy it easily. The others can take some good KID punishment and still survive....LMAO

Great looking pics! Thanks all. I will definately be looking for vendors at the Sportsman show in March. I have also heard that turn around time for a mount is up to and over a year, is that correct? Obviously good work takes time.

JWL,

No lies with a skin mount?

Oh yea, there is .... not in length, but in girth.

really in a skin mount, most likely the girth will come out smaller than the fish actually was because the skin shrinks when dried..this is the "before" pic of my fish, it wasn't mounted with the big buldge in it's stomach,which turned out to be a 15 1/2 inch cat fish :o , the only way to stuff a fish way bigger would be to leave a huge gap at the back where it was stapled together and covered with felt, then the fins ect would not line up correctly on the fish and it would look a little off kilter when done.

musky_001.jpg

Guest gbfisher

It was caught years ago at a place where I've never caught largemouth at and never have since. I don't target Bass,...... :D and yes it was incidental..... :lol:

Don't know what it weighed. Im not one for guestimates but the measurements were 24 by 18 ......... :blink: .

doesnt look any bigger than Bucktails fish... :dunno:

Edited by gbfisher

I can say with certainty we are pretty well tied. 24 x 18 was the measurement on mine as well.

Caught it many years ago.

Have caught a few 23"s and change since then but they didnt have the bulk of this dude.

Real picture of the pike, I dindt take any girth measurements on her so I let the guys at Advanced figure it out but she was 48

gallery_221_42_24768.jpg

Here is the bass. Only got the one photo of her but did all the measurements. I am not sure if the bass is fat or I was just skinny back then!

med_gallery_221_42_38773.jpg

I can say with certainty we are pretty well tied. 24 x 18 was the measurement on mine as well.

Here is the bass. Only got the one photo of her but did all the measurements. I am not sure if the bass is fat or I was just skinny back then!

med_gallery_221_42_38773.jpg

Well they are both serious looking Bass 6lbs 10 oz to Maybe 7lbs

Congrats to both of you guys :thumbsup_anim:

....I have six skin mounts of which three are over thirty years old and they look as good as the day they were done. If the taxidermist is good skin mounts are good. Mind you when I had four of my mounts done Advance Taxidermy was not around. :whistling:

Now I like the work I've seen from Advance and would consider it in the future but I kind of like the idea of having the origional fish on the wall.

Skin mounts are way cheaper usually, but why kill a nice bass when a replica will remind you of that great day.

Damaged fins can be repaired/repainted too.

A nice Wood Slab with bark is cool, as is a piece of local driftwood.

I used to do Taxidermy & really miss it now.Best of Show in '83 Amateur.

Edited by danbo

Skin mounts are fine!... if you don't mind murdering large and very old fish for doing nothing other than biting you bait and giving you their best fight for their life... all for your own vanity.

:huh::huh:

You don't neccassarly have to murder it ,, just leave it out of the water for an extended peroid of time :P:P