Safe Boaters Card

darsky

How is the exam? Do you pay for the exam or only for the card once you passed? Any input as I prefer to get it over the winter rather than cram for it next Sept. Will the police/CO's/On the water authorities be cracking down on day 1

As far as i know you pay for the test, pass or fail.

mind you...if you fail...you shouldnt be driving a boat in the first place!

I've had mine since 2000, so I HOPE they start cracking down on it.

if not...a big waste of time/money for me!

The exam is really common sense. Some companies, you pay when you pass. There are a lot of companies at the Fishing Show, that you pay when you pass. I did it when the card first came out, I don't know if the exam changed in any way. Crack down, I can see that. 90% of the time I get stopped on the water for a saftey check, more won't hurt.

As far as i know you pay for the test, pass or fail.

mind you...if you fail...you shouldnt be driving a boat in the first place!

What Stoty said. In 1999 my daughter...12 at the time... and I wrote it together. No studying and we both passed. Pure common sense. If you fail bury your head in the sand.

I guess it depends where and who with, you took the exam...

There was a tent set-up outside our local CTC store and I wandered over to see what all the noise was about...(you never know...they may have been selling cheap burgers and/or hot dogs)...

The deal was:

If you passed the test you could apply for your card ($35 I think...it was quite a while ago) if you failed you could try a different test...no charge for failing or passing...just for the card...they also let you know the right answer to the questions you got wrong...maybe things have changed...

I got mine last year at the boat show. No pass = no pay.

I didn't study or anything and only got three wrong. In fact, I had no intention of writing anything but the girl (who was rather cute) button holed me and I felt I had to write it to prove my manhood.

I showed her!

If you have ever been near a boat and walk more or less upright, you shouldn't have any problem with the test.

i wrote my test in coboconk 2 years ago and the deal was you paid 35 dollars and wrote til you passed!!!!! the test was fairly easy considering i had never OWNED my own boat . it took almost a year for my card to show up in the mail tho!!!

do these cards expire or require retesting at any point?

yup study online and do it online. i actually found a few parts difficult. like what lights your suppose to have on when you dock in a marnia at night and questions about notifying coast guards and questions like that. i have no idea i fish back lakes with a little 12foot boat im never out on superior or anything. i had the test open on my desktop, had my laptop beside the desktop with the study/answer sheet and my buddy had my brothers laptop up with the answer pages to. it was quite easy LOL. its $50 and another $10 if you fail and have to rewrite.

I got mine two years ago.... I have never owned a boat but thought what the heck, since it is for life. So I read the material over twice and only got one wrong. I knew nothing about the flags or signs or anything from experience but just reading the material is all you need to nail it.

Edited by Canuck2fan

The safe boating guide has all the info you need to pass. As for write until you pass this is illegal. You can only write once in 24 hrs. Some of these companies have had their privilege to issue cards removed.

I personally challenged(took) the test though the Canadian Power & Sail Squadron's at the London Boating & Outdoors Show. If I remember correctly it was $30. I read over the boating Guide before the test and aced the test. The C.P.S. test has about 13 extra questions but these also qualify you to operate in the US waters.

If you fail another $30 and at least 24 hrs later. You must sign a statement that you have not wrote a test anywhere in the last 24 hrs. The one test in 24 hrs is part of the federal law requiring the Pleasure craft Operators Card.

At any place offering write until you pass, I would be worried that the government may rule the card void due to the illegal issuing of them, even if you passed the first time as the issuer is not obviously recording the other failures.

Best Wishes: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

I got mine in under 30 min. online with 1 wrong. I am NOT a boater by any means but like others said, just use common sense and you will pass. The reason I did it was because I have kids so those boat time rids and for the fishing trips when I want to take a boat along. Rather be legit then paying fines.

This is a bit off topic, but

Not that it has not been said before.

That boaters card is scam perpetrated by our own government so that some people could make a lot of free money in the private sector.

1) It is VERY easy to cheat and get the card. Just have your buddy do it for you online.

2) The websites practically give you the answers to the questions

3) its online

4) The companies certify you with their own card.....it is not like a drivers license.

5) There is not a central database saying who has cards.....that info is with the company that gave you the card.

Feel free to correct me on any of those points if I am wrong or ad your own.....

Why not just follow the drivers license systems that are established and proven?

back on topic.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/ has a banner had here. don't pay if you don.t pass.

The whole thing is a money grab. It is also a farce to allow people to write the test until they pass. If the government truly wanted to improve boater safety, they would make it mandatory to take a course and have a tightly regulated testing system similar to the driver' s license requirement (although this is questionable due to the things I have seen on the roads). Maybe a lesson in navigation and markers would be part of it. I would have no issue with something along these lines, and gladly pay for it. As it stands now, I am not the holder of a card and I don't plan on being one.

Got mine a few years ago when I bought my 12' tinny. I downloaded the study guide (Free of charge) online. You pay $50.00 when you write. My son (12 at the time) got his last year so that he could start driving. I made him read the guide twice before writting the exam. He passed first time. It cost $45.00 because I found a coupon. It's amazing what you can find when you google.

I've been checked once (while anchored) :Gonefishing:. My insurance also wanted it when I bought the new boat this year.

Got mine a few years agos at the sportsman show .... but yes .. studying online is a good idea ... I was actually surprised how many types of marker bouys I had never come across ... most of the stuff should be intuitive to a seasoned boater ... but some things I truly never knew ... and could have been a problem had I been boating in unfamilair waters ... anyhow .. I say ... get it and be done with it.

I wrote mine online and passed.I just read thru the book (brush up my bouys).

When I did mine online,the site wanted me to have someone with a license watching for no cheating.They wanted that persons card #also.

What are the lodges going to do that rent boats out?,expect everyone to have a lic?

Edited by Dont Get Caught