Coyotes and dogs NF

FLEX ROD

waterwolf, he is inside the house but the poor guy does have go and do his Business, right?

And this dog love to chase and bark at the squirles and god knows what else.

Please, please do not tempt me Wiser, even though I am not a huntrer a few days ago I had a monster Buck and 3 does in the yard itself, the buck was the biggest that I have ever seen 10 pointer and basically was right under my window to the point i could have jumped on his back.

I have thought about investing in a crossbow many a times. :angel:

FLEX - John

They make coyote repelant in all different strengths ! 22-250 .243 .270

They make people repellant in the same calibers, why do ya have to shoot up everything in nature

just cause it doesn't suit your purpose. If it wasn't for some of those species there'd be a lot more vermin running around. Actually maybe vermin just a little higher on the food chain come to think of it.

Thank you gang all good info, and thanks Joey for the link, very informative.

One thing that I neglected to mention and I guess that this works for me is thet we are on a ridge hence their is also the slope factor, but I think that we will have to pay more attention once the food supply get harder to find.

And ketchenany we are just around the corner from each other, if you ever want to hook up please let me know- I am west of islington and south of rutherford and you are correct last year the rabitts were around but few and far appart this year.

FLEX

FLE ROD if you find yourself on Tavio Way I'm at 75.

They make people repellant in the same calibers, why do ya have to shoot up everything in nature

just cause it doesn't suit your purpose. If it wasn't for some of those species there'd be a lot more vermin running around. Actually maybe vermin just a little higher on the food chain come to think of it.

I agree.

But I think we're outnumbered around here so I'm keeping my head down. :canadian:

QUOTE(Fisherman @ Dec 18 2008, 09:11 AM)

QUOTE(fireball Posted Today, 11:19 AM) I agree.

But I think we're outnumbered around here so I'm keeping my head down.

The reason is relatively simple - because this is a residential area and IF the animal posses a risk then in a residential area precautions do have to be taken. If you read the original post is was posted as a general question with concerns for a family pet that is being let loose in a fenced back yard and knowing that wild animals in winter time look for food any place they can get it I was just trying to get educated about the capabilities of a coyote.

I for one, enjoy the thought very much knowing that any time I look out my window I have the pleasure and privilege to see a number of exciting creatures such as Hawks, Eagles, Blue Herons, Beavers, Deer’s, coyotes , rabbits, owls and even once a grouse.

That was the reason for the post.

FLEX - John

why do i feel the need to shoot all coyotes i see? because i can! :whistling:

my new 22-250 should be here soon :thumbsup_anim:

i love it when people chime in about wildlife and hunting when they have no clue what they are talking about. hunters are the #1 conservationists you will find so dont question us as to why we "shoot up everything in nature"

coyotes serve a great purpose...testing out new loads and selling their hides :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you gang all good info, and thanks Joey for the link, very informative.

One thing that I neglected to mention and I guess that this works for me is thet we are on a ridge hence their is also the slope factor, but I think that we will have to pay more attention once the food supply get harder to find.

And ketchenany we are just around the corner from each other, if you ever want to hook up please let me know- I am west of islington and south of rutherford and you are correct last year the rabitts were around but few and far appart this year.

FLEX

That's my old area! hehehee......i play around Jane and Major Mac now

i love it when people chime in about wildlife and hunting when they have no clue what they are talking about. hunters are the #1 conservationists you will find so dont question us as to why we "shoot up everything in nature"

coyotes serve a great purpose...testing out new loads and selling their hides :thumbsup_anim:

Maybe it's cause I live out of the city and live around a lot of conservationists or hunters that don't see the need to play the almighty. I can see if the farmers have problems with their livestock, I have no problem in them protecting that. As for not questioning YOU, I'll leave it at that and go watch some nature in action while there's still some left.

Maybe it's cause I live out of the city and live around a lot of conservationists or hunters that don't see the need to play the almighty. I can see if the farmers have problems with their livestock, I have no problem in them protecting that. As for not questioning YOU, I'll leave it at that and go watch some nature in action while there's still some left.

odd, i have yet to meet a hunter that doesnt shoot a coyote any chance they get. you clearly have no idea how bad coyotes can be for the wildlife you love to watch. too many yotes in an area will decimate the population of small animals, turkey and deer. coyotes are like noodle roaches...you can kill a bunch of them, but never all of them.

hunters (and farmers) who shoot all the coyotes they see are not trying to "play almighty" like you claim. they simply know how bad of an effect coyotes can have on an ecosystem if their population is not kept in check. the only predator of the coyote are wolves so here in SW ontario, its a hunters duty to keep the population in check.

are you a hunter?

Edited by ch312

Okay gang here is a question that my son has asked and this I am not sure how to respond to.

WE back onto a ravine and I have the Deers but with that we also have the coyotes, this seems to have been a very good year for them as we have really heard them and I have also seen them a few time.

I have the standard 6' fence sepatating us from the ravine and we have a small dog , can the coyotes clear a 6' fence?

My son is scared to let the dog go out in the yard at night so hence this question.

I khnow that the Deer have no issue with the fence but can a wild "dog" clear it?

Thanks - FLEX

Unfortunately with the incredibly rapid growth of the Vaughan area, the problems with Coyotes are only going to get worse.....King City and Nobleton are getting bad, so is the area of Cranston Park and Cunningham.....there's a large pond and greenspace there and i've seen many a coyote wondering down the street in the wee hours of the morning.

are you a hunter?

Yes, although I do also believe that nature can and does keep itself in check. From year to year you can see the population rise and fall, good years when food is plentiful, they expand, have a bad winter two and they die off. 6-7 years ago they were all over the place, this last year there were a handful around. If you take too many out of the equation, then the other critter become more prevalent. Now if we could train the coyotes to visit Jane & Finch... :whistling:

ch312, I am a hunter, have been since I was 7 and I am now 62. I have never shot anything living that I didn't want to eat or that wasn't a danger to myself, family, or livestock (or needed to be dispatched for humaritan reasons). It's just the way I am!

Last year I had a coyote walk out in front of me, a mere 20 yards away, it had no idea I was even in the area and believe me, if I had wanted to shoot it, I could have, no problem! I chose not to for a number of reasons; it was beautiful to watch, it hadn't done me any harm, it wasn't a threat to me or my family, and I was deer hunting.

Do I regret it? not for a second! Do I judge you because you choose to hunt them or shoot them, not for a second but I don't think your statement " i have yet to meet a hunter that doesnt shoot a coyote any chance they get". Is a bit extreem! We haven't met but you now know one!

Yes, although I do also believe that nature can and does keep itself in check. From year to year you can see the population rise and fall, good years when food is plentiful, they expand, have a bad winter two and they die off. 6-7 years ago they were all over the place, this last year there were a handful around. If you take too many out of the equation, then the other critter become more prevalent. Now if we could train the coyotes to visit Jane & Finch... :whistling:

if nature always keeps itself in check when are the corrmorants gonna decline? and when the winters are harsh coyotes are one of the few creatures that dont die but rather prosper by using intelligence to take down deer and other such animals that are more affected by the conditions. it is a known fact that hunters are what we rely on to keep numbers down in animal population that is why there are rules and regilations in certain areas or zones across the province, and i believe this all started as a question about how high a brush wolf can jump! no hard feelings just an educated opinion.

Matt

Edited by BassAsin

Nature does keep itself in check... too bad there's not much of it left that doesn't have some human influence messing that balance up (that's not a reference to hunting).

Coyotes are very intelligent and opportunistic. In an area like southern Ontario a bad winter will not kill them off. They can do very well on on things like carrion and deer, but when that resource isn't easy pickin's they can simply fall back on things like livestock, if such things are not the staple already.

The fluctuation you see from year to year is more likely due to disease (stuff like mange takes its toll) or simply animals moving on to a different food source.

waterwolf, he is inside the house but the poor guy does have go and do his Business, right?

And this dog love to chase and bark at the squirles and god knows what else.

Please, please do not tempt me Wiser, even though I am not a huntrer a few days ago I had a monster Buck and 3 does in the yard itself, the buck was the biggest that I have ever seen 10 pointer and basically was right under my window to the point i could have jumped on his back.

I have thought about investing in a crossbow many a times. :angel:

FLEX - John

i have a sheppard\collie mix of 4years old who loves to run and protect the castle from intruders. 27and kirby area ,, i've seen many yotes too.i bundle up [most times] and go for the walk\listen while she hits the bush . she's a good dog and returns soon after a couple of blasts if she's too long . ,,but what if?? am i wrong in taking a couple yotes that could potentially see my dog as supper . i think you'd have a good debate on your hands to prove otherwise. the need for a cull is becoming very apparent in the upper gta .

i have a sheppard\collie mix of 4years old who loves to run and protect the castle from intruders. 27and kirby area ,, i've seen many yotes too.i bundle up [most times] and go for the walk\listen while she hits the bush . she's a good dog and returns soon after a couple of blasts if she's too long . ,,but what if?? am i wrong in taking a couple yotes that could potentially see my dog as supper . i think you'd have a good debate on your hands to prove otherwise. the need for a cull is becoming very apparent in the upper gta .

Waterwolf - please don't get me wrong - I have no I repeat no issues with a coyote and or a wolf being taken - I have personally a coyote rug at home. No I did not shoot it my father did as I do not hunt BUT I HAVE NO problem with any body who does on the contrary I beliwe that I am one of the best advocates for hunters. My point is / was they guy has to go out and I do take him out but at 11:00 when i am getting ready to go to bed it is just the convinience factor.

In September I had my loosy knee surgery and my walking ability is still on a cane hence I do not walk very much so that is another large point, I miss it as the dog and i miss our routine and not only do i miss it boy oh boy you do not know how much i miss not holding a fishing rod in my hands since andhaving to miss the fall steel.

FLEX - John

Let them eat the coons first. WE trapped over 50 coons last year and less than 10 this year after a pair of coyotes moved in. You could see the tracks in the corn fields where they hunt coons and skunks. But as luck would have it the coyotes took a liking to one of the sweet corn varieties and helped themselves, good thing it wasn't a big seller and not a great loss. Never seen them eat a lot of corn before.

Saw them run up the road out front last night.

i think the coyotes love coons because of all the fat they have. fat = energy. coyotes need lots of it to survive harsh winters, along with most other critters.

the problem with letting nature take its course and self regulating populations is once coyotes have moved into an area, their numbers wont start to go down until all the food in an area is gone. then they move out of that bush after they've eaten all the critters and then it happens again.

im a member on a couple predator hunting forums and a guy who shoots hundreds every year always uses the saying "after dooms day there will only be 2 animals that survive. coockroaches and coyotes". judging by how smart and resourceful these critters are, id agree

they should have their nice thick coats now...good for auction :thumbsup_anim:

since the laws on trespass,essex county has been overun by coyotes. two different groups harvested over 200 last winter. in the city of windsor there relatively everywhere. i had a dog coyote ahead of my lab. he lifted his leg on a tree 30 yards ahead. my lab did the same. i have watched them hunt in an open field 100yards from wal-marts lot at 10 am for a half hour.. theres a lot less stray cats around now-adays lol.

flex ,, i now am more aware of the reason for your posting . yes , is my response . be quite concerned leaving a good friend outside for extended periods in close quarters with coyotes.they are very capable animals . intelligent .they'll figure out a way to get to a meal . keep a close eye on things , with a short leash .

if you have 'yotes in the area, then keep an eye on the pouch when he's outside. After dark letting him run and take a leak then bringing him back in is no problem. Leaving him out side for extended periods might not be the best plan but it doesnt sound like you are doing that. If don't see sign of them in your yeard, or up against your fence i wouldnt worry too much.

As for all this other stuff. I feel the need to remind you guys about the fecundity of coyotes 1st, and their highly adapatble nature...not to mention a few guiding principles of population ecology.

#1 Fecundity...bacically the harder you hunt the coyotes the harder they reproduce. Females will bread in year 1 instead of year 2 if their population is under pressure. Litter sizes will increase and the females will really try and protect their young, by moving them everynight to a new den site if need be. A common problem with 'yote populations is that they are hunted hard for a few years, then the hunting stops...BOOM population expolodes in a few years time.

#2 Super adaptible animal, for their size nothing beats them. About the only thing that can keep them in line is wolves. They have a serious hate on for each other. There is 'yotes in the industrial parts of TO that are totally nocturnal, living in an ashphault environment. They are amazingly resourceful animals.

#3 Bad winters and you see coyotes preying on more deer. That is natural selection in action. Coyotes taking over the role of the eastern wolf. it'll keep your deer populaitons healthy, so don't worry about it too much.

#4 Carying Capacity. Coyotes can't exist on nothing. If you are seeing high populations of coyotes then there must be a high population of food stuff. They have an extemely varied diet and with most species they will feed on what ever provides the most energy, for the least amount of work. That usually translates into whatever has the largest population. Pets fall nicely into that spot. Easy targets. Especially tied.

#5 populations will adapt. Except for a few critters such as Fishers and Marten, its fairly hard to decimate an animal population to the point its gone. Turkeys are smart and populaitons are growning, of course coyotes are going to eat them. If they are eating them, then they arnt eating something else, likley something that has a lower population level. Remember all this stuff works together as a system. Sometimes portions get a little out of balance, but hunting as a management tool is ultimatly flawed. The system is missing something or else it would be in balance. Hunting for coyotes takes the place, and is an excellent tool for situations for example where coyotes have learned to prey of cattle calfs as they are being born. But for large scale populaiton control, it's very hard to acheive results with hunting. Some animals hunting can work for like bears, but coyotes are far too adaptable long term. However it is the easiest option for the gov't and hunters like to hunt, so it works very well.

Anyway i think i have rambled on enough here....just a little food for thought.

-R-

No, i dont think a yote can clear a 6' fence, however, they are capable of finding their way through fences :o , always make sure there are no holes at the base of the fence, i think your fine, however, if you want to be safe, reinforce the bottom of your fence, just in case!

Hope that helps you out. :)