Near Miss Today - Toasters and Smoke Alarms-nf

douG

OK, I am providing this story in three parts, hoping that someone may read it and be a smarter dude than I was. I'm wiser now.

1). Tried to replace the battery in the smoke detector on the main floor 3 months ago, but removed it when the alarm sounded continuously with no smoke. I guessed it was an old alarm, at least 10 years old, maybe 30 years old, who knows. I'll get around to replacing it someday, that kitchen level alarm is a big pain in the butt anyway, always freaking out the dinner guests when I am whipping up something delicious.

2). We have an automatic toaster, that will burn everything automatically since it doesn't know when to quit, no matter where the dial is set. I'll get around to replacing that someday. It's old too.

3). This morning, sleeping in the basement due to the creeping mung which was interfering with my sleep and the RLG's sleep too, I woke up to hear the Big Kid hollering, "Dad, Dad!", with a fair amount of panic. I stumbled upstairs to find the whole main floor choked with bagel smoke. She had found the toaster still pumping out the BTUs into a bagel that looked like two slices of hockey puck, and tossed it into the back yard. It would appear that the RLG, stumbling out of the house due to lack of sleep, didn't quite finish her breakfast, and left the house with a bagel in the process of cremation.

We now have a new toaster that shuts itself off - I checked. We also have a new smoke alarm with an 8 minute snoozer that can't be over-ridden by heavy smoke. It has a dual sensor, optical and ionization, for both flash and smoldering fires. It is installed and checks out fine with a piece of burning string. It cost me $39.95.

The moral of this story: Don't be an idiot. Fix that important crap right away. You know what stuff I'm talking about.

Thanks for checking in.

Very important stuff Doug! Spent 20 years as a volunteer firefighter and seen the results of fires. Luckily never had to experience a fatality but it was easy to see how easy it could happen. Seen many instances where alarms have saved lives.

If you are a procrastinator- don't do it here!

O ya. get a carbon monoxide detector too!

Doug I'm glad to here all is well and your story brought a chuckle or two to me also but the point was taken and I would think that most others will also get it. Thanks for sharing with us as it may just save someone else. Now to get to the stuff I put off to read this Oh it can wait its only Xmas shopping for the wife LOL.

Ya outta save them hockey pucks as a reminder: Automatic toasters are trouble!!

On a lighter note, I was cleaning out mine the other day and would ya know it, a little mouse had unfortunately found his way in and had gotten stuck under the elements. It was completety charred and I have no clue how long he'd been in there!!! I'm surprised it didn't cause a short... That coulda been dangerous.

No wonder my bagels never turned out right.. There was essence of charred mouse for gawd knows how long in my toasties!!

Glad everyone's honky dory.

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Ya outta save them hockey pucks as a reminder: Automatic toasters are trouble!!

On a lighter note, I was cleaning out mine the other day and would ya know it, a little mouse had unfortunately found his way in and had gotten stuck under the elements. It was completety charred and I have no clue how long he'd been in there!!! I'm surprised it didn't cause a short... That coulda been dangerous.

No wonder my bagels never turned out right.. There was essence of charred mouse for gawd knows how long in my toasties!!

Glad everyone's honky dory.

cheers

HD

You're such a pig!

(actually, that use to happen at the farm alot)

Glad it has a happy ending Doug.

a little mouse had unfortunately found his way in and had gotten stuck under the elements. It was completety charred and I have no clue how long he'd been in there!!!

HD

The second mouse gets the bagel. He didn't know.

Entertaining read and the message is a good one.A co2 detector is a must if you have gas or wood for heat.I was at a house today that the tennants unhooked the water heater flue becuase it was tripping the safety and cutting out the heater.The flue was back graded and had too many elbows for it to draft enough to pull in the fan safety so they took the flue loose so it would draft better.No co2 detector in the house and prolly 12 people living there.Scary stuff.

Joe

DouG, glad everything is OK, I am sure that was quite the scare. I had my alarm going off a few months ago at 3 am in the morning. Nothing was out of sorts, but I soon realized the alarm was indeed old, and another was almost past due date.

So, this is what I did.

Bought 2 new ones(one was recently purchased in March, should be OK for a bit).

I took a Sharpie, and wrote the date of purchase on it on the outside(they do have dates on stickers on them on the inside for original date of purchase, but how many times do you look at that stupid sticker).

I also write the date on the battery when changed(most, if not all are 9v, so its easy to label them).

I also take them down, and vacuum them out. We shed dead skin, that is what a lot of the dust in our homes is.

I own an "automatic toaster". But it has been flawless, as well as the models before it.

Toasters are actually really nasty devices. They provide a dead short across A/C through a long filament, with a small bit of electronics parts, to adjust the voltage to make them work supposedly properly. Same goes for hair dryers. Coffee makers are not too far behind them.

Everyone, do not leave a toaster unattended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My coffee maker has a timer, I don't use it, I make coffee when I am awake.

I also label every CFL bulb when I change them with a Sharpie, I like to know how long things last. Best so far was 4 yrs., on a bulb that had been made in China, and had a recall on its lot number, lol.

OH, btw,.......... I do have a carbon monoxide detector also.

Edited by tjsa

You can smell smoke....

Actually, in most cases, when people are sleeping they DON'T smell the smoke and are dead before they ever know there's a problem in the house. It just moves over you and kills you before you wakeup.

That's the reason why you so often read that the victims of a fire were found dead in their beds when firemen arrived.

That's why it's so very important to have smoke dectectors outside every bedroom and on every level of your home.

You got lucky douG and your problem was only minor, but good to hear you replaced your detectors and are now prepared incase something more serious happens.

Edited by lew

Yes Lew... very aware. Wasn't a great way to state it but my point was CO is a silent killer. No fire burning outside the bedroom door... no smoke appearing in the living room... just asleep and dead, like the female officer's family the last week or so.

Absolutely Wayne and I was just adding to your comment.

Last I heard, that female officer was in grave condition, wonder if she'll make it or not ??