A Typical Day Of Winter Steelheading

solopaddler

The Niagara aside, this time of year it's tough to predict where and when to catch steelhead.

Sunday saw seemingly perfect conditions: a dropping and clearing river after a huge blowout combined with warmer temps and light rain for most of the day.

These conditions a month ago would have seen huge numbers of fish caught. Sunday I worked hard for just a handful of fish...

That's the way it goes and frankly I wouldn't want it any other way. After doing this for 30 years I still havn't figured these fish out but that's what makes the sport interesting and the great days all the more treasured.

It's always a bonus when you can get out this time of year, not freeze your digits off and catch a few fish!

There were fish being caught somewhat consistently though...and for those that're interested the top bait seemed to be.....live minnows. ;)

Dec08Chrome002.jpg

Dec08Chrome003.jpg

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Dec08Chrome001.jpg

Dec08Chrome005.jpg

Looks like there might be some decent conditions to be had on Thursday this week...

Cheers, Mike

awsome report, :clapping:

quick question though, you ever get skunked? even your shortest reports ("bad day" how you call them), which are still fun to read and browse through pictures, look better than most reports from the rest OFC members when they have good days on water. :)

thanks for sharing.

Looks like there might be some decent conditions to be had on Thursday this week...

Cheers, Mike

btw, keep the fishing forecasts coming in the future as well. :whistling:

Edited by efka

Lookin good Mike.

Me, Dave and his buddy beat the crap out of the east on sunday, worked REAL hard and tossed everything in the books into perfect water conditions with ZIPPO to show for it. Well two tiny buggers and a beauty hen that was lost.

and an IMX that was almost snapped like a twig too, geez

and an IMX that was almost snapped like a twig too, geez

I can't believe he made it through that :blink: .... The tip was bent under the ice shelf with the fish hauling arse down river ... I can't believe it didn't break :worthy: IMX :worthy:

Mike, looking at this picture

Dec08Chrome003.jpg

the porting on that reel blows my mind !!!!!!

Edited by JDMLS

Dec08Chrome003.jpg

Cheers, Mike

WTG

That's a beauty shot (tripper?)

Great reel too Aniiversary Edition Angling Specs? :thumbsup_anim:

Jose

Edited by jchau53