What was everyone's "Catch Of The Year"?

profisher25

That's an easy one.

My first and probably only Sturgeon !!!

Caught while trolling for musky at night.

Could not tell what it was even in the net because it had no tail !!!

We estimated it at 48 inches which means it would have been well over 50 if it had its tail.

misc079.jpg

Easy one for me,

It was a solo steelheading trip (most of mine are) and one of my best days on the river ever. Put up really decent numbers of fresh fish and they had a TON of fight in late march. This monster steelie took my jig like no other, float SLAMMED into the water and the fight was on. Being the fool that I am I had brough the ten and a half foot fenwick that I love to death, but it just doent have the backbone for big fresh fish. This beast dragged me downstream and upstream and was the hardest fight I have seen from a steelie. Too bad I couldnt get a picture of me holding it, but here she is on a crappy cell phone picture.

gallery_256_231_99582.jpg

hah kemper, i have the exact same setup. raven matrix w/ is your rod there a 11' fenwick HMX?

One of the collection, yes.

Thats an older model HMX, way better butt section then the new ones. I love it when the water is lower and the fish cant bust my balls in the current, its probably my favourite rod to fish with even though it is not the most expensive or most powerful one I have

some nice fish folks, lots of great catches.

Ok I will bite too..these are not some of my over-all PB's but they are my PB's for 2008, I fish 12 months a year so it goes from last January up until the last little while.

Cold weather pikin in January

347569261.jpg

My best pike from the trailer this year

347569265.jpg

A couple hog largies off my dock at camp

347569644.jpg

347569646.jpg

A day out trolling on Erie with some good fishin friends

347569263.jpg

A pig of a steelie from this past spring

347569264.jpg

here is one from a couple weeks ago

344115710.jpg

and the 34 1/2 laker I caught a few days ago

346532476.jpg

that pretty much sums up some of the bigger fish for my 2008 season

Edited by jwl

My most enjoyable catch of the year this year was not my biggest fish. Here is the story: I was on a fishing trip down at my grandmas this past summer. During this trip me and littleangler were having our tourney. It was several days into the trip and I had caught my limit of bass but they were all small fish. On the day I caught my nice bass my dad and I were fishing the shoreline out in the rubber boat while we met up with some friends of ours. They said "are you catching any?" I said "ya i caught a little 1 pounder, how about you guys?" Then this guy pulls out two big 3lb+ bass out of his live well. He said good luck and left me feeling angry and a little bit jealous of his fish. I fished all afternoon from the shore and caught nothing, constantly being reminded by those big bass my friend caught. Determined to increase my weight for the tourney and to gain confidence, I went out in the boat just after supper. I fished for a good hour at my spot and when I pulled up the anchor to move to the next spot I took one more case out into the weed's with my topwater snake, and BAM! I got a huge Topwater strike and I knew it was going to be a huge fish. After I brought it to the side of the boat my heart was pumping and I was overwhelmed with excitement. I cleared the weed's off and got out the scale and this bass turned out to be 4.8lbs and 19" long. Here is a picture of the fish:

073.jpg

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Nailing my pb musky was pretty spectacular

n595006200_1421702_8670.jpg

But my best catch of the year was marrying this girl...who, incidentally is holding up her pb laker, which was a thrill to watch her bring in. A thrill for her that is...can't say the same for me, Terry, Wayne or Dan :whistling: you guys'll let'er come back, right? :whistling:

n595006200_933492_3636.jpg

I only went on one musky trip this year, it took 3 days of effort and finally after almost giving up I was tossing topwater and nailed not only my first and only legal musky of the season but my first ever topwater musky. I've never experienced anything more exciting.

DSC01640.jpg

2nd place would be my favourite type of fishing - channel cats. Neither of these were the biggest of the season, half the time I don't even take pictures of my own cats but almost every fish is this size or bigger.

DSC01473.jpg

Edited by Rich

I didn't really get anything noteworthy, but I DID however have a blast watching my girlfriend get better & better at fishing.

This is only her second season, & couldn't land anything last year on account of very poor hooksets. Whenever a fish het her bait, she'd just 'freeze' like a deer in the headlights.

So, here's the top 3 fish she caught that will always stick out in my mind.

First, she got this guy casting a SuperBeliever in Perch flavour...

Augweekend001Small.jpg

Then, she topped that with one at night on a topwater...

ataniasmuskie.jpg

But, the single most memorable fish for both of us this year would have to be her Hawg Largie, also on a topwater at night...

aTaniaBIGBass-1.jpg

I give her a huge pat on the back. Some really nice fish for a seasoned fisherperson, let alone one in her 2nd season.

BIG congrats to all of you with some fantastic catches. Biggest surprise has to go to the Sturgeon trolling a Muskie bait.... :clapping:

Well, I had many "Catches of the year".

Crappie fishing last winter with Beans on lake X. A wonderful time with a very special friend.

Our trip to Simco with Sly, Big Chev4X4, Tybo, and the beautiful Lady Walley and Joey, the catching wasn't the best but the company.... Well who could ask for more?

Spring fishing with photoz and CPH, man you guys sure made my day and Sue just hauled the last package of rainbow out of the freezer so I hope you are ready for next spring.

Crappie fishing with Meeley, Tony, Nanook, and Beans, your genorisity overwhelms me Tony, thank you again for the wonderful feed of slabs!

The wonderful OFNr's that came to help me with my dock this spring, What can I ever do to show you all how much I appreciate all your help? What was even more wonderful was that many of you were able to come back and brightened a weekend for Sue, Andy, and I this past summer. Each and every one of you is welcome here anytime you care to venture this way!

So Many wonderful catches of the year but I defy anone to up stage this one! This was my catch of the year and she captured my heart! What better catch could an old man ever hope to get than a hug from a princess!

How could anything so tiny make such a huge impression?

gallery_415_187_37815.jpg

If I could have but one wish for next year it would be that each and everyone of you get such a hug from someone that means so much to you. Give and you will get!

That spec is a monster!

it sure was, my biggest to date for sure many in the 3-4 lb range but never over a 5 had no scale but have seen enough specks over 5 to know by now.my fathers largest speck is 5lb 10 oz and his buddy on that occasion caught a 6lb 10oz monster and i rounded out the bottom with 2 that weighed 3 14 a male and a female