Check out this little rip-off

trapshooter

I am importing a sled from the US and one of the requirements is a Recall letter from the manufacturer. I contacted a ski-doo dealership and they informed me that the rules have recently changed and the letter must come directly from Bombardier and dealerships can't provide it anymore.

Here's the kicker........ they charge $350 for the letter!!! :wallbash:

In the end I probably won't save any money buying in the US, however the selection there makes it worthwhile compared to shopping in NW Ontario. If it didn't take me almost 20 hrs to drive to TO, I'd be going down there for a sled for sure.

Good fishing everyone,

ben

I'm going to call Bombardier directly. Perhaps some of the $350 I was quoted goes to the dealership if you go through them for the letter?? I mean seriously, it's a letter printed on a piece of paper!!! The lady I talked to was even able to look up the VIN of my sled and tell me there are NO recalls!!

Bombadier is proactive in ensuring Canadians do not purchase in the US.

Bombadier may also require that you bring the vehicle in for an inspection to ensure the recalls for that vehicle are done....part of the $350 I would think.

Things that may help you get around this. Have the seller get the letter for you.

Get the letter from a bombadier office in another country.

forrest

I am not sure that I understand what a "recall letter from the manufacturer" is.

If this is another name for "renumeration to the dealer you were supposed to buy this off of", then it might be understandable.

It is a letter from the manufacturer stating that there are no recalls on the vehicle. The RIV (registrar of imported vehicles) requires this letter when you import a vehicle/snowmachine from the USA.

forrest - it is a used sled so bombardier isn't making money from me there....... also, the dealership was able to confirm that there are no recalls on this sled.... so there is nothing for them to check out. The RIV just requires proof that there are NO recalls out on this sled before I can get a Ont. registration/licence etc.

My rant was only directed at the price of this piece of paper, not the process by which a vehicle is imported into Canada.

Most likely changed the regs.. GM charges $250 for the recall letter, BMW $500....

Dealers had to do something to deter people from buying in the US....

Also, the dealer in the US should be able to print out the letter for you stating there are no current recalls on the machine...

Most likely changed the regs.. GM charges $250 for the recall letter, BMW $500....

Dealers had to do something to deter people from buying in the US....

Also, the dealer in the US should be able to print out the letter for you stating there are no current recalls on the machine...

The dealership I spoke with did mention that the regs have recently changed. But it is BOMBARDIER that is making the $350, not the dealership. I can see why a canadian dealer wouldn't want ppl going state side to buy but for Bombardier... they are selling a sled either way.

In my case it is a private sale, however, I will still contact a US dealer and see if I can get the Recall letter down there for less. Of course then I'll have to see if one from the US is acceptable..... and I'm guessing it's not. :stretcher:

Ben, the recall letter for my dad's GMC 2500HD that we imported from Florida was from a US dealer and the RIV accepted it with no issue..

I don't see why they wouldn't accept yours... They don't care who it comes from, they just want to make sure it's authentic...

Ben, the recall letter for my dad's GMC 2500HD that we imported from Florida was from a US dealer and the RIV accepted it with no issue..

I don't see why they wouldn't accept yours... They don't care who it comes from, they just want to make sure it's authentic...

Thanks for the info Bill, you've given me hope! :thumbsup_anim:

why are you concerned about recalls on a 6-7 yr old sled they would have should have been done long ago

I'm not concerned about it personally..... except for the fact that in order for me to import a vehicle/snowmobile from the USA I must produce a document (the Recall letter) proving there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.

Ben. This letter is required for all makes of sleds, not just Skidoo. It's required by government-not BRP. I don't know what other manufacturerers

charge for the service. It has to be done for your sled through BRP. Don't blame the dealer.

Oh I wasn't blaming the dealer at all...I did wonder if they were taking in some of the $350 though... and I know who requires the letter, and why. Just thinking out loud that $350 is a lot for BRP to print off a letter on a piece of paper saying there are no recalls.

I have to wait until monday to get in touch with someone at at dealer in Minnesota. Hopefully they can print me one for a lot less $$!!