Quick Review on the BPS Pro Qualifier spinning reel

MCTFisher9120

Someone mentioned watching out for a gap at the bail. One of the BPS reels I have ends up getting line between the drag disc adjustment and the spool and ends up wrapping around and around :stretcher:

There are more places to buy online from than BPS and still get a good price.

I know squat about that reel, but, if it is going to be your primary reel get something tried and true.

I paid a big price for my SS Tournament ~20 years ago....still in great shape and never gave me a problem.

Many reel promotions offer an extra spool: I did not care about an extra spool when I bought it but I really want one now.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Someone mentioned watching out for a gap at the bail. One of the BPS reels I have ends up getting line between the drag disc adjustment and the spool and ends up wrapping around and around :stretcher:

There are more places to buy online from than BPS and still get a good price.

I know squat about that reel, but, if it is going to be your primary reel get something tried and true.

I paid a big price for my SS Tournament ~20 years ago....still in great shape and never gave me a problem.

Many reel promotions offer an extra spool: I did not care about an extra spool when I bought it but I really want one now.

forrest

Yea I got a SS Tourney for $20 at a pawn shop in Petawawa, paid for it then ran up the road out of siight quickly. Thought I stole it. Anyways I priced an extra spool at LeBarons Ottawa and found out it was $30. Never did Buy one. But I have one for my UltraLite 750. Yup, excellent, simple Reels. Fantastic Drag

PA040057.jpg

Edited by holdfast

Maybe I can help bridge the gap. I have 2 Daiwa SS reels and 3 BPS Pro Qualifiers and have used a fari number of Shimanos and Abu's. I bought my BPS last winter when the Vaughan store had a few sitting behind the counter for $49 each. I have 2 1500 and a 2500. Very nice reals and enjoyed fishing with them as my main reels this year.

They could have a bit wider range on the drag adjustments. Even when mine are backed off totally there's resistance on the spool when you take out line. You can tighten the drag adjustment up and feel little if any difference for about 2 full turns and then in one turn you get complete full drag.

I use these reels for pike, bass and walleye and find them OK. I would not use them for Steelhead with that drag. My 2 steelhead rods are sitting by the computer rigged and ready to go. One has a SS700 and the other has my SS1300. These reels are 15 years old and probably could use new drag washers but are tansk and will outlast anything else I have.

Oh yeah forget about ice fishing the PQ's. The drag does not like the cold.

Depends on what you want to use em for and how $ they are. Anything under a $60 price would be a good deal especially if you get the free shipping from BPS (I think it's still on?). If it's straight up price the Dawia and Shimanos are always a great reel.

One reel I see a few places blowing out for $50 is the new Cardinal 3. Bronte outdoors has them for $49 and I think I might pick one up as a back up or fun reel.

get a shimano sahara , do not buy BPS reel.

If Im not mistaken,are not the BPS reels made by Shimano?

I have bought many BPS model reels, and I have had no isssues. It,s the lower line of brand name reels that seem to be crap.

Hell I even bought a 22 dollar jobbie(on sale marked down from 50) from wallyworld, which was well made and lasted me 3 years so far.

Sometimes the higher price,dosent mean it,s the best. It,s the name, that bumps up the price.

Nope, the BPS reels aren't made by Shimano. They are made in China by whomever makes them the cheapest. They are not bad for the money but you have to remember, if it breaks, who is going to fix it for you?? There are no parts commercially available for them from what I've heard. At least the Cabela's reels are made by Daiwa. Personally, I'd stick to the name brands. I'm very partial to the new Sahara, I have 2 of the older style reels and they are fantastic for the money.

Edited by bigbuck

Watch out for the BPS reels, I bought a spinning reel I think the same model you are looking at buit a few years older and the drag never worked right. It was a front drag and it just sucked, period. One twist would have the drab knob falling off into the water, and one twist the other way had the drag tightened right down to nothing. It loosened itself off while fishing and after only two days of use I just gave up trying to fiddle with it and retired it.

Good thing it was on sale.

SHIMANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I replaced it with a shimany symetre and its a beauty.

I'm very partial to the new Sahara, I have 2 of the older style reels and they are fantastic for the money.

I agree, I've got an older (6 years ) Sahara that I use for springtime pickeral and it's excellent.

Just to clarify who makes them. I was told by 4 employees at BPS that the reels are made by Browing.

I have heard that Browning makes some of the BPS stuff too.

I have read that the following companies have all made BPS reels aswell:

Shymano

Deawa

Babu Garcia

Pann