Barrie anglers reel in fines

kickingfrog

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1321198

Barrie anglers reel in fines

Posted 7 hours ago

Two Barrie men are facing fines following a recent fishing trip to Severn Sound.

The pair and their 23-foot vessel was seized after a trip Nov. 3.

Authorities say the pair were spotted fishing and failed to stop for a Conservation Officer and a Southern Georgian Bay OPP officer conducting a Joint Forces Marine Patrol.

After a brief pursuit, they were stopped at Waubaushene and found to be in possession of fish of prohibited length as well as not having all of the required boating safety equipment. This resulted in a seizure all their fishing gear and their catch.

Gregory Kempling, 46, pleaded guilty to and was convicted in Penetanguishene Court on Nov. on Thursday for Failing to Stop for Conservation Officer, Obstructing a Conservation Officer of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, and Possessing Fish of Prohibited Length.

Kempling was fined a total of $1,400 and received a one year fishing prohibition. His fishing gear and the fish that were caught were permanently confiscated and he was also fined in regards two offences dealing with violations against the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act. The court further ordered the vessel that had been seized was to be released after the court proceedings.

Brandon De Forest, 22, pleaded guilty and was convicted of Unlawfully Making a False Statement to a Conservation Officer of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and received a fine of $35.

If they'd start keeping their boats and selling them at auction... we'd not only nip some of this poaching in the butt... we'd be able to afford more CO's as well. Good nab for Co Bruce Ward... too bad he didn't achieve higher fines and get the guys boat as well !

sorry - as much as im happy the poachers got busted, the second the opp and mnr start making money selling off peoples boats, the enforcement and over the top application of the rules will get out of control.

happened in the states with their "war on drugs" which has become a profit centre for local law enforcement. same with their unreasonable speed control efforts.

over there, it sometimes seems that its less about protecting people and more about picking thier pockets.

best to keep a profit motive away from law (and regulation) enforcement.

If they'd start keeping their boats and selling them at auction... we'd not only nip some of this poaching in the butt... we'd be able to afford more CO's as well. Good nab for Co Bruce Ward... too bad he didn't achieve higher fines and get the guys boat as well !

Nah! A 23 footer is too much boat for me Wayne. ;)

It would be nice to see this type of thing taken more seriously though.

sorry - as much as im happy the poachers got busted, the second the opp and mnr start making money selling off peoples boats, the enforcement and over the top application of the rules will get out of control.

happened in the states with their "war on drugs" which has become a profit centre for local law enforcement. same with their unreasonable speed control efforts.

over there, it sometimes seems that its less about protecting people and more about picking thier pockets.

Checks and balances would need to be used, but there is no way a profit would be made. Costs (tax payer dollars) would only be partially covered. It is more about hitting the crooks where it might hurt them, in the pocket book. It can be argued that since they have no ethics anyway, banning them from hunting or fishing is almost point-less.

Good to see the good guys win for a change :thumbsup_anim:

Didn't realize that this was a problem here, at least none here queenes about it. As far as speed control efforts the State of Ohio has got to be the worst along the I75 corridor from north to south, if you go with the flow you won't have a problem but if one feels the need to go 20MPH faster than everyone else might as well get out the check book

wish I could figure out where to catch walleye in Severn Sound.

wonder if they would give me some tips if I asked

it's not like they will be fishing there for a while

OhOhOh I know,,,,,,,,,,,, Sorry cant tell,I promised. :Gonefishing:

Our fines do nothing, to serve a meassage to others.

What kind of fine/punishment would deter others??????????

Guest gbfisher

I was hoping it was the off shore guy who brings 6 guys out and keeps everything they catch no matter who catches it....... :rolleyes:

Hey Terry. They're out in the lake :Gonefishing::angel:

You can trust the cops, or the criminals. What's yer druthers?

JF

If'n ah had mah druthers, ah druther have another beer.

Sry, JF, thought I would expand on your Li'l Abnerism there.

abnpig3.GIF

An' a fine lookin' lad he is. It's too many beers what prob'ly got them thar poachers in hot water. If'n we wuz to step away from thet thar jug fer jest a mite, mayhap we'd start to think 'bout the dif'rence 'tween right and wrong, and the dif'rence 'tween whut's good fer the fish (and fer us fishermen) and what's good fer the bad guys and stop with them dumb-assed assertions in defence of the folk who're trying to ruin things fer the rest of us'n. Like ah said, we kin back the lawmen or back the lawbreakers. Purty easy choice fer me, but then my Mah din't raise no idjits. :whistling:

JF

Tend to agree, poaching, taking under size fish, to many fish, take the boat and gear. Same with the drug thing, better the people doing it fund enforcement than the law biding taxpayers.

Cars seized in the area all the time here, major east-west highway and north-south highway nearby. When you see some of the police reports in the papers of how they got caught? better they didn`t have a car!