Poker thread????

Harrison

Am I blind?

I can't find the Poker T thread. Thought maybe it was pinned, but nope.

I don't care why, how, who, what or when if it got zapped.. just need the password.

Is it right in front of my eyes somewhere? If not can someone please PM me the password?

Thanks.

Believe it went the way of the Dodo Bird. Disappeared about the same time some of my conversation disappeared from another thread. I'd suspect the poker threads issue was the "help" section of it on how under age members could get around the money input/gambling age limit issue.

OFC = Ontario's Funny, no?

Ya can't get onto pokerstars unless your the legal age limit I believe so that's hogwash reason in my mind. Better ban any alcoholic references for Lakair or where ever then, better hide the Old Milwaukee roy, lol

yeah they show someones butt..that's ok

people post.. about how to bring fishing stuff across the border without getting caught and having to pay duties and gst

but you can't say poker....

but GOD does gets to inflict his morals on everyone else

doesn't he

Before someone falls off their high horse and breaks a hip...let me explain what is going on.

Online poker is illegal in the US now (Jan 01/07 under new Homeland Security Bill). We are hosted by an American company. So while having a discussion publicly about poker is fine, having a direct link (either physically or by use of the OFC name) may be a violation of our terms of service.

Until we can get a legal opinion on it, we have placed the thread in an area that is not visible.

(Online poker is also technically not legal in Canada, but falls under the 'stuff we'll never enforce' area)

As you will notice in your terms of service, any question as to reasons for a thread being pulled are to be done by PM.

....Actually I believe it was pulled for a number of reasons. But mostly because it had been discussed among the Admins that we do not want the registered and privately owned OFC name associated with online gambling. The use of the name was never sought nor was permission given to use it. As for swills, well it is an opportunity for board members to get together and meet with others for the purpose of talking fishing over a few beers (or not) which of course makes it entirely fishing related. To that extent posts looking to get board members together for the purpose of talking fishing over a few cold ones will still be found from time to time.

While I personally am not interested in online gambling at least one Mod has expressed interest in playing is onside with keeping it off the board and discussed via e-mail or PM's. While I personally didn't pull the thread and don't know who did (or care) I support it's removal as do all the Mods.

"As you will notice in your terms of service, any question as to reasons for a thread being pulled are to be done by PM."

we can still carp about it...can't we

I hope so Terry, lol, this joint is lookin' more like a communist corporation then any fishing community?

There's terms of service now? :dunno:

It was no surprise to me, when i realized the "poker" thread was removed. This type of thing is best handled via PM's. I do not like to see underage gambling in any way, shape or form and posting a thread about an online gambling event, would most certainly attract many peeps under the age of 18....especially on a fishing forum like OFC.

I know there were a few who were interested. Anyone needing the date, time and password for this event....just shoot me a PM. There is already 7 registered.

18 or over please!!

OFC Name..........................Pokerstars Name

xrap................................................PUFFFSHADY

charlesn...........................................Bassin_Guy

Dutch...............................................Dutch_ca

RickOnt

SHAD

Terry

Carp

Bill Parker..................................huntervasili

DanC

Puckhead

Robin........................................Robin1971

trophymuskie.............................Ace Collin

mdj

moosehead

silveradosheriff

Harrison....................................Swiftsetter

brookieman

ffej

dow33

dobee.......................................joeheartsdi

fishinonthebrain.......................$ammy$taxxx

tacklebuster

Jer

terry71

fishless

fishinonthebrain

:Gonefishing:

Rick,

As I understand it, on-line poker was not banned in the US. The funding of on-line poker accounts however was made very difficult for US citizens. However, there are still ways to do so albeit not so simple as a few mouse clicks any more.

In an attempt to discourage or kill on-line poker in the US, they went after the funding mechanism as opposed to the sites themselves. It makes sense for them though, not as much for us here. In the states, they TAX gambling winnings. Something that was impossible to do on web-sites. Here the gov't does not, so there is less reason to ram through any legislation.

I can find out if the name can be changed, just wanted something that could be recognized by the people here.

Charles

Rick,

As I understand it, on-line poker was not banned in the US. The funding of on-line poker accounts however was made very difficult for US citizens. However, there are still ways to do so albeit not so simple as a few mouse clicks any more.

In an attempt to discourage or kill on-line poker in the US, they went after the funding mechanism as opposed to the sites themselves. It makes sense for them though, not as much for us here. In the states, they TAX gambling winnings. Something that was impossible to do on web-sites. Here the gov't does not, so there is less reason to ram through any legislation.

I can find out if the name can be changed, just wanted something that could be recognized by the people here.

Charles

Thats a good idea. Just shoot a quick email to support and ask them to change the name. I'm sure they can do it. Maybe change it to one of your earlier suggestions..."The Angler Assassins" Poker Tournament.

fishinonthebrain

:Gonefishing:

I think the powers that be are just trying to protect their butts... But Terry does bring up some valid points as well..

"yeah they show someones butt..that's ok

people post.. about how to bring fishing stuff across the border without getting caught and having to pay duties and gst

but you can't say poker....

but GOD does gets to inflict his morals on everyone else

doesn't he"

Seems that perhaps their are two sets of rules at play here from time to time.

Gerritt.

I respect the decision to pull the thread.

We should be doing this by e-mail/pm's.

We have to understand and respect the heads of state not wanting the OFC name

associated with this kind of thing. That's cool.

Doesn't mean it can't happen at all.

I wouldn't want to be involved in anything that could jeopardize the future

of this site. It's a lot of work to create and maintain the OFC and our governing body has the right to be concerned for the reasons mentioned.

Fishinonthebrain seems to be taking the bull by the horns on this one,

so send him you e-mails and pm's as he has requested.

We can have a decent game of cards without ruffling feathers. :thumbsup_anim: